Forums > Help! > help making poi???

Login/Join to Participate

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
can anyone gimme help making on making my own poi? i want to make some double headed poi , so can anyone gimme clues as to how to get the cord through the tennis balls? or somehow secure the balls in the string before i attach the tails.

also seeing asb there are going to be two tails on one string, can anyone suggest colour combinations?

im all ears

THANK YOU!!!

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
try

quote:

here under construction
safe

garbo

be excellent to each other: safe:

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ive got little plasticy screw widgets held in with hot glue gun glue (for extra sercurness) holding a screw with a ring on the end into my tennis balls (do balls have ends), youd, need two of these in one ball and one in the other... should be cool, i find tent guy rope the best cord to use aswell....

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I use those heavy duty paper clips to attach the balls: straighten them out, thread them through the holes that you've made with the hoof-pick thing on a swiss army knife, then with a pair of pliers trist them around into a tight flat spiral with no projecting sharp edges. They've so far lasted a year with a lot of abuse and show no sign of unravelling, this way you don't have to bother splitting the ball open.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
For colour combo's i'd suggest pink and white, or pink and black. Or maybe pink and purple or pink and green

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

1,079 posts

Posted:
Ms Pink i shud have known what youd say

Thanks for the ideas, but is there a way to put 2 holes in perfectly at pole-to-pole on the sphere without guessing? in putting two heds on, one higher up the cord than the other.

kepp them coming!

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
blue and purple, or orange and white, or red and white, or green and yellow, or pink and yellow, or blue and green, or red and orange, or orange and yellow, or red and yellow, or...

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
"but is there a way to put 2 holes in perfectly at pole-to-pole on the sphere without guessing? in putting two heds on, one higher up the cord than the other"

Either make one at the top, stick your bit of wire through and push, you can feel where it's trying to come through, even through thick rubber like a tennis ball; or take 2 elastic bands put one on, put the other one on and where they cross are your points; or just hold the ball between your thumb and forefinger and you know where the balance point is; or just take an educated guess 'cause you really can't be that far wrong.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

1,079 posts

Posted:
the elastic bands is the best idea yet so thanks to Eera.
mind you if it goes wrong...

how easy is it to get UV material for this?

thank YOU!
L.L.

D.B.
X x X x X

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
Okay, I don't know how useful this would be with two tennis balls on one chain, (and I'm not sure how well I can explain this) but the way I make my practice balls is this:

1- Cut a small hole in the 'top' of your tennis ball.
2- On the opposite end, cut a longer slit that you can fit a keychain through.
3- Thread a length on chain through the hole on top and on through the slit on the bottom. Attach a heavy-duty keyring to the bottom of the chain and pull on the chain poking through the top of the tennis ball. The keyring should be pulled through the slit and into the tennis ball but not any farther.
4- End result: Tennis ball with a chain coming out the top but no obvious means of support.

Now, I dunno if you can understand that, but I might take some pictures and post them for easier understanding...

Well, that's my suggestion... ^^

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."