Forums > Help! > My butterfly is a little wrong

Login/Join to Participate

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
O.k when I do my butterfly one of my poi is straight and one is slightly wonky. One looks like it should do the other (if looked at from a side view goes out at a fourty five degree angle.
so if youve still got any idea what I'm talking about could you help me straighten the second one out? cheers
laZy

as laZy as .....

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Try just keeping one hand over the other and moving both your hands straight up and down. Also, its not all that big a deal if it looks off from the side. As long as it still looks like a butterfly from the front/back youre in good shape.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
hehe you said "do my butterfly"

look down at your hands when your doin it and make sure there in the exact same position or just stick um together like royal suggested. got get it right if you want to do front to back flutter bies

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
Thanks yeah also is there an english company that sells pois? as i'm using a couple of old bean bags on string at the moment.

as laZy as .....

spideymember
46 posts

Posted:
I'd stick to making your own practice poi, cos it's half the fun! You can also try bags of rice in socks or tennis balls (weighted or not) on string.
There is a place in Camden market, but I gather they are rather overpriced... ours came through from NZ as quick as anything!
- S

siliconslavemember
36 posts

Posted:
i got my poi in the UK from a company called mighty banana - who make big stuffed monkeys in bristol (you can also get them from www.anti-gravity.uk.com) - but y not just get them from here - after postage etc it ends up being about the same price

[ 29. August 2003, 02:01: Message edited by: siliconslave ]

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
when I first started spinning I realized that my left poi was always shaky and a little off, since I'm right hand. Once I got used to spinning and strengthened my left arm I found my poi were much more symitrical. Your problem could be for a much different reason, but I felt I could share my little story of achievement.

P*L*U*R

Alumitymember
30 posts

Posted:
I never had much trouble with butterfly, but I've never done it one hand over the other, try holding your hands side by sie and spinning.

there'll be no angels

OgniManobBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
It is as difficult to explain a move in writing as it is to describe the problem. I've found that learning using "heavy" poi's (kevlar based) helps. Perhaps you are already doing it, but in case you are not:
1. Try to press your elbows to the sides of your body.
2. Start with a same time move forward cirles on both sides. Instead of pulling the poi's up, try to guide them down in a straight line as the pois are coming down. Your palm at that moment should be facing down.
3. Slowly bring your hands together at the wrists making a triangle where the base is your body, and the two sides are your arms. By the time the triangle is formed, your palms will be facing up, one just above and in front of the other, and never crossing each other. (Some people find it easier to place right hand over left, others vice-versa... experiment).
4. While you are bringing your arms together, halfway through, your palms will be facing each other. At the and, both palms will be facing up.
5. Remember to keep the poi timings same. Practice with slow movements so that you can feel the weight of the poi guiding your wrist movements instead of the other way around.
6. The most important "trick" is to keep the line as you want using your fingers and NOT your arms or wrist.

WHOH! That was too freaky an explanation... I hope you can get something out of it...

Live and let live

for_my_name_is_shanemember
21 posts

Posted:
make sure ur palms are always facing up

You're just jealous becouse the voices are talking to me.

amy loumember
4 posts

Posted:
i don't face my palms up when i butterfly cos i find it makes it easier to do the variations if my hands are in fists. i think you have to find your own way of doing it, and practise makes perfect.

alriddick

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
make sure you're doing it in the right direction. I'm dyslexic and taught myself.... it was 9 months into doing poi that i realised i was doing reverse butterfly not forwards

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
I have a really hard time with the butterfly too. My problem is more of the poi hitting each other. I mean, it happens a LOT. I watch my hands and my palms are up or facing each other and my right hand is on top and a little in front of the left. But, they still hit like every 5th beat. Is it my consistancy in where the poi are spinning in the plane or is my hand positioning off? I bet it is consistancy ... *sigh* ... I really need to DO the move more but its hard 'cause I suck at it and they bounce in my face! *lol*

As for keeping the poi in a plane ... I have been working on that too. For me if i concentrate on the outside part of the circle, guiding with my fingers, scooping down in the direction I want it looks better. Of course if they get too much in a plane they tangle even easier for me so I try not to get too carried away with this.

amy loumember
4 posts

Posted:
its frustrating when you keep hitting yourself, but it will happen until you have perfected the move. i find its easier if you use gentle movements and try to keep perfect timing. once you've done that, the butterfly should come easily!

alriddick