Forums > Help! > What the F#@K is a Hyperloop?

Login/Join to Participate

Slaanneeshmember
15 posts

Posted:
Soz guys i'm new. learnin by self teachin and can't find anything on hyperloops or buzzsaws. even though you all seem to know what they are and sound like the're quite basic. because of this fact i am finding them extremely intriguing.
any pointers?

Cheers guys

Freestyle Walking. its fun and amusing.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hello and welcome to HOP,
you mind find you will get more replies if your header is a bit less... eeer ... "aggressive"
hyperloops ? try and check the poi moves section, I think PK, mineiro, Santana, dio and otehrs have posted links to videos demostrating hyperloops. sorry my english is not elaborate enough to describe this clearly. better see it

Buzzsaw : shorten chains and spin them between your arms . seen from profile it looks like you are holding a small wheel of fire. hope this helps.

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Actually you probably get more replies if you moved this to the poi moves section.

Here are a couple explanations, though there are more, on hyperloops ...

The Jedi Set
Hyperloops thread.

Welcome to HoP!!!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
hah, i love the bluntness. It is a very valid question, because i've been reading threads here about hyperloops for a while and don't exactly know myself. There's simply a deficiency of articles on the subject and people have a tendency to just link to existing threads which talk about them but don't actually give a coherent description.

I did think i'd figured it out and can do what i thought were hyperloops, then i was told i was doing airwraps not hyperloops. Then i heard that hyperloops are airwraps.

So, without providing links to threads etc, in 50 words or less, what is a hyperloop exactly?

ta

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I shall dare to try ...

A hyperloop is created by catching your chains at the point halfway between the poi and your hands so that they make extra smaller "loops".The trick to them is getting them to untangle cleanly.

Hyperloops are a member of the "Airwrap" family being that the idea of the two is the same but the execution makes them of different breeds.

An airwrap is, according to my sources, when you catch the chains close to the handles which would create a spiral effect as they tangle around each other.Again the trick is getting them to untangle nicely.

Well I tried.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
thanks for your input

I heard that an airwrap is any wrap where the chains wrap together. A hyperloop is a move where you do 2 airwraps, one on either side.

But then, afterall, these names are just things which someone somewhere decided to type into a computer one day to describe a move they'd found. Until i see some articles written as opposed to word in passing i'll use the word hyperloop rather loosely. One of these days people will argue over moves i've found (although I see no one has replied to the Crafty Badger thread i started yesterday )

On the trick of disentaglement tip, i've completely killed the cable of one of my fire poi sets doing airwraps, about 48 hours after having perfectly straight cables they are really kinked. They straighten out when spun, but when you do things like butterfly stalls or you slow them right down you can find them getting tangled up because the cable sticks out at angles.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
lonely is correct.

here is a video page, check out the "hyperloops" video

https://www.flamingsphere.homestead.com/divxencoded.html

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Thank you guys VERY VERY much
its actually really hard to understand alot of what is posted in the Poi Moves thread, and am usually unable to access any of the Video material.

Whilst i consider myself a fairly decent poi`er, i didnt have a CLUE what hyperloops, airwraps, or even isolations were until Dom came to Australia and showed me....

This is probably the most coherant explanation of any poi move i've ever read. Has cleared up my unspoken question regards airwraps vs hyperloops (although theres two trains of thought on it, at least i am now better informed.)

Once again, Thanks! you guys have just made my day!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Slaanneeshmember
15 posts

Posted:
cheers guys.
Still can't master them but i am enjoyin tryin to work them out. its nice to know there are others out there in my kind of predicament.

Have a good un.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You know what I think the key here is? Simplicity.

In the poi section, they use about 1000 words to describe something that can be described in 50 words or less, for the effect of making it cooler than it is maybe? Perhaps those guys can take a lesson from this? Simplicity is key.

Essentially, it's what we figured we could do with a tangle to get out of it without looking like a flub up....seriously. When I started on this board years ago one of the very first tips that was handed out was to tangle yourself up to make sure you could get out of it smoothely before you lit up with fire. It was a just in case precautionary measure that gave birth to intentional chain wraps and handcuff style moves. Many of us were doing these before they had names just as a matter of learning course, which I think is cool but gets confusing when suddenly names are thrown into it that are not really universal and not explained in laymens terms.

Next thing you know, you will be refining your own mistakes into named moves!

Try using link chains for these instead of cables. Cords tangle easier, cables kink. Even ballchain, in my humble experience, tangles more than link chain. Just remember to make sure the links are welded shut!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
over here we call it Dog Chain, and it is the poi makers material of choice!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
quote:
In the poi section, they use about 1000 words to describe something that can be described in 50 words or less, for the effect of making it cooler than it is maybe?
Feel the hate.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:
In the poi section, they use about 1000 words to describe something that can be described in 50 words or less, for the effect of making it cooler than it is maybe? Perhaps those guys can take a lesson from this? Simplicity is key.

i think thats pretty harsh pele. if you can explain most of the moves discussed here in 50 words or less whay don't you?! please!
it would only take you about five minutes per post and it would save me a lot of effort overcomplicating explanations while really just trying to be cool.

seriously though, i hope you didn't mean that it kind of belittles any effort i (and others) have made to spread knowledge in this forum...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
I dont think anyone really knows the difference between the two.

Im backing Pele. They r just tangles.

"Next thing you know, you will be refining your own mistakes into named moves!"

Its all just smoke and mirrors

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
oh, wanted to say i agree names are just names someone made up - they mean nothing at the end of the day.

my point is this; yes, they're all just tangles but that doesn't help someone trying to learn to do them does it? the reason i personally refer to airwraps, hyperloops and tangled buzzsaws rahther than just tangles is because they're tangles that work in dirrerent ways.

if someone asked 'how do i do a hyperloop' and all we ever answered was 'just tangle your chains and untangle them', people would get fed up with us pretty quick wouldn't they?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Stonehenge. It's all just a pile of broken rocks init?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flid:
Stonehenge. It's all just a pile of broken rocks init?
LOL...Yup...it's pretty though.

Thanks Raging Dragon. Fact of the matter is that none of these are new. They are just named. I really appreciated the basic principle of them, learn how to get out of a tangle so that you can further polish your spinning skills. Over the years, this concept has been lost in the "who can do more and how?". I am all for progression and sharing, but it seems the point has been lost along the way, along with personal discovery.

Coleman, did I say "Just say they are tangles?" Nope, because I agree that is vague. There are a bunch of threads of confused people asking about hyperloops and other "Jedi" moves in the poi moves section. I never once said the wordiness was bad, just that the idea of the moves gets lost in the description and people who spend hours trying to explain every nuance of something might want to concider simplifying. Where in there did I name names or attack?
Me thinks NYC is taking things way too personally again (who the hell said anything about hate, NYC? Since I have no hate, at all in me, that statement is really out of line!), and that you are reading far more into my words than what is there. Things get too hyper and too involved poi moves for alot of general understanding, and I don't feel comfortable posting there *at all*. This is the second time that this whole thing has been taken out of context, and again illustrates why I do not post in the poi moves section.

[ 18. April 2003, 11:06: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
may I be the first to sugest that NYC was joking. It sure seemed that way to me, being that this is a relatively "light" conversation...

Frank: "wad u say bout my mom?"

Jessie: "Ah didn say nutin bout the !#@$#$"

and the fight was ON!

And (sorry pele) I think it is you who might be taking it the wrong way.

NYC your suppossed to use these things nauty nauty nauty!!!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Pele you know I love you girl, but that was pretty harsh thing to say in your first post (if you realy ment it). We realy are just trying to help people by giving complete descriptions.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I read Pele's post and thought "that's funny".

Then I read NYC's and thought "I hope he is joking, he probably is".

Then read coleman's and thought "maybe he knows something I don't know, and NYC wasn't joking!!!".

and then I read DJ Dantana's post and thought "maybe he knows something I don't know and Pele wasn't joking!!!".

So now I have a choice, I can choose to believe everyone was joking and go on my merry way and lead a happy untroubled life. Or I can choose to believe that everyone was deadly serious and hates each others guts.

Decisions, decisions...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
or you could look at our long history of posts to eachother and realize that is doesn't matter if anybody was joking or not, because, just like family, we are all stuck with eachother...wether we like it or not....

Slaanneeshmember
15 posts

Posted:
jesus C !

How much hassle can a simple question start.
I'm impressed!
you lot need to get mashed more and just straight up chill.

Cheers for all the help guys and gals.

As i'm a newbie i feel priveledged that i got a new thread goin.

Slaanneesh

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:

In the poi section, they use about 1000 words to describe something that can be described in 50 words or less, for the effect of making it cooler than it is maybe?
This couldn't be any more off the mark.

While the concept of a hyperloop or an airwrap may be easy to describe ...
describing the execution of even the basic hyperloop is a different story.One of the best descriptions of the hyperloop that I have read was the one that I linked to above which was provided by Coleman.It gave insight into where you should have your hands and what side you should be on ... all that kind of info that might make it easier to do the basic hyperloop.

The harder a move is to perform the more difficult it is going to be to describe.The Jedi Set was about all the hardest moves there are.

If someone asked what an isolation is and we all responded by saying it is a move where the poi and your hands spin around the center of the chain that wouldn't be terribly helpful would it?

Could the same not be applied to hyperloops.I gave the insight on what a hyperloop is by definition but I didn't tell how to actually do one.

Also most of the guys trying to be supercool with there mega descriptions tend to provide videos to help as well.

All in my opinion of course.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
To be honest, i have yet to read a satisfactory step-by-step guide to either hyperloops or air wraps. Lots of people have waxed long and hard about them, but noone has written point by point instructions the way the more basic moves are described in the "Lessons" section.

I appreciate that's because they're not only buggers to do, but buggers to explain, and that's cool. I'm trying to start it by hitting them together on one side of the weave and trying to get them to unwrap on the other. I think (from what i've distilled from the pages and pages of arguments and discussions about this) that that's the way to go. They insist on coming out at the same time on the other side at the moment, but i guess that's something that will get better with time and practice.

If any of you super experienced peeps fancies a crack at a nice simple, point by point guide that i can learn from, you'll have my eternal gratitude.

weavesmiley devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
airwraps article any help?

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
had a look at that, d/led the video, and while i think i get the concept, it's still a very hard to follow move, much like the 5 beat video in the lessons. if someone could make a video, but do it in a very exaggerated style, preferably with different coloured poi (red sock in left hand and green sock in right hand), things might be made a little simpler, methinks.

And im definitely going to have to stand by mags on the complete lack of an 'easy' step by step walk through of a hyperloop.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie