Miss RubySILVER Member
44 posts

Posted:

Dunno if I'm posting this in the right place, but...

Is there anyone out there who can tell me where I can go in Melbourne to buy twirling supplies,etc, as well as any cool 'alternative' (yes, I hate that word, too) shops for clothing, other?

I'm going there at the end of the week, and don't know my way around, let alone where to start looking...

Any info would be helpful

Cheers.

...a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men...

Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I don't live in Melb, but Juggleart is a good place to start for fire and circus type stuff. It's located in St David St, just off (the rear of) 230 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. You might find Brunswick Street appealing, though its gone very up market lately. I shop at Kmart so I will let the locals fill in the blanks on clothing.

Cheers

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Maid Marion:
any cool 'alternative' (yes, I hate that word, too) shops for clothing, other?
mate if you're in VIC duruing saturdays the best hippy shopping is StAndrew's day market during asturdays. it's far to the east, but i'll offer you a lift if you decide to do that should you arrrive in vic.

happy shopping and damn i love thai fishermens' pants.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
I made fire poi's in Melbourne
And I bought kevlar in a small camping-shop in the middle of elizabeth-street (right side when you're looking on flinders station)
chains,keyrings,screws and kerozen at Bunnings
and a cheap 2$ mop-handle in woolworths that I sawed up ....(will last you 4 poi-set's atleast)..
also
cost you close to nothing to make....

I like Fire.. :)

Miss RubySILVER Member
44 posts

Posted:

Bender, where exactly are the St Andrews day markets? I will be staying in Bennetswood/Box Hill area, which I understand is pretty Eastern?

Also, When are the Vic Markets, and St Kilda Markets on? What are they like?

Sorry to bombard you with questions...

I LOVE THAI PANTS TOO!!!!

Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Way further out....

ST Andrews is the outskirts of melb..... looooong way from Box Hill.

StKilda market -> Sunday
Vic Market ->Saturday.....and another weekday... not sure which

[ 21. February 2003, 00:40: Message edited by: Zoltar ]

So much fire, so little body hair...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Vic Markets
open: weekends 'till about 1pm, some weekdays
accessibility: just on the outskirts of the CBD
value: amazingly cheap. really.
hippy gear: some great vendors, like Raphael's amongst the general bargains

St Kilda Markets
open: sat day
accessibility: a tram south fromthe city will get you there
value: not that good - some gear is totally pricey
hippy gear: uh more oriented at tourist crowd.

St Andrew's Market
open: sat morning to afternoon - sometimes it is held 'till the night, and on another day of the week. Firetwirling during these special night markets (the confest crowd!!)
accessibility: north and a little to the east. totally far off, and public transport is not a viable option - i can drive yas there tho mate, cus im itchin' to get back!
value:excellent prices for priceless stuff. unsurpassed value! some handcrafted items costed me peanuts
hippy gear:the best range and prices - a proper hippy market, only cool hippy gear + a chai tent!. Some shops like 'Sooriya' make custom/rare thai pants n other clothing and such and supply other shops (like Rapahel's!) who mark up the prices! (Sooriya have a shop in hampton too tho)
people have demanded to know where i've bought some St Andrews purchases. and no they were not cops

hope this yelps mate!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Beautiful summary Bender...... much better than mine

So much fire, so little body hair...

Miss RubySILVER Member
44 posts

Posted:
Thanks, bender!

St Andrews sounds great! Would love a lift out there - that's very generous of you! I will be in Melbourne by this Sunday arvo, and staying til Mon 3rd March, So I would have to make it the Saturday between - (28th Feb)?