Forums > Technical Discussion > countach wicks:: review/opinions anyone?

Login/Join to Participate

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
hello all. i'm wondering if anyone out here has tried the bearclaw mfg countach wicks? (https://www.bearclawmfg.com/s_wick.html) i am considering buying some because they look ubercool and would love to hear opinions from some current owners first!

btw::i just searched the forums and found no mention of countach so i don't think this has been asked before.

peace all

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've not used them, so I'm not really going to be much help, but I couldn't help posting that those countach wicks look mightily impressive

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I haven't used anything made by bearclaw, so I can't speak for quality, but they look pretty cool, I had actually been meaning to build some 8" hybrid wicks for my chain whip. I am totally hooked on hybrid wicks, they burn much, much longer than regular kevlar. So if you have the cash I would say go ahead and buy them. If they suck you can be online in seconds to register your disgust.

[ 30 July 2002, 11:42: Message edited by: SickpuPpy ]

Jesus helps me trick people.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well well look who crawled out of the woodwork!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
thanks for responding yall!

sickpuppY:: when you say hybrid wicks what do you mean? the wicks i've built use that kevlar blend material, it feels slightly cottonish, not much like pure kevlar at all. pure kevlar tape can be found for pretty damn cheap. tell me more about these hybrid wicks!

arashi:: i've been around,,,lovesick. ohoh, i gave jaidendawn a cd she gave to sage who in time should give to you! thats that 2step sound i couldn't describe to you. some of its a little cheesy but i don't care, it feels good. ; )

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
lovesick, huh? i still haven't even found anybody worth kissing yet. dang i need to get on the road. 8 more days!!!!
oh i got the cd by the way. pretty cool, i haven't had it long enough to do more than hear it in the background while taking a shower. sounds kinda like d&b and house put together. definitely the best housy stuff i've run across. dude were you at Massive last weekend? i danced my tooties off! bada$$ trance for sure, and some REEEEEAAL good breaks and d&b too! missed you there! i was bummed cause they wouldn't even let me in with my practice wicks!!!! AAAARGH!! i'm used to being a performer and not having to go through that friggin security check. "did that guy seriously just grab my nards? "

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
arashi: i haven't been to a party in over a month. usually i'm out, you know, checking the scene, livin the undacova brotha life. bitches'n'blunts?nah, weed'n'money. yeah. why wouldn't they let you bring your raverbashing party weapons of kevlar wickage into massiv? that really sucks, wasn't there a dragontrybe doing a fire show or something? they should have been expecting people to bring toys. i'm going to electric daisy on the 17th, very much looking forward to that. heehee, i heard rumours of a trojan plan for surreptious entry into a hothothot event... much love, have fun if i don't see you before then!

oh, how did the workshop go? i was out of town or totally would have supported yall brokeass fire dancers. peace

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
rftek,

came to this thread to research fireheads, and learned from you of bearclaw, but also...

"electric daisy": insomniac produces the Electric Daisy Carnival, now usually a 12-hour massive teko day party noon to midnight, in the Southern California area every early summer, it's already a month or so past now (6,500 people this year), wondered what is "electric daisy" near Austin, TX or wherever you're going?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
By hybrid wicks I mean a kevlar on the outside and cotton or some such fabric inside. It is the happy medium between kevlar and towel wicks.

Mine are cathedral fold wicks with peices of cotton denim layed inbetween each fold so that all you really see is kevlar. The theory is that the exposed kevlar burns while the unexposed cotton fabric does not burn and is there just to hold more fuel in the wick resulting in longer burn times. This combines the conveniance and longevity of kevlar wicks with the fuel capacity of towel wicks.

[ 31 July 2002, 12:42: Message edited by: SickpuPpy ]

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
SickpuPpy, what happens over time? Does the cotton or other less hardy material in the center finally get baked out before the surrounding kevlar, and if so, what timeframe? what's your experience with your hybrid wicks?

[ 31 July 2002, 15:00: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
firemike:: electric daisy carnival is coming up aug. 17th, omg, i just reread the lineup, i'm so looking forward to this party. last summer they had around 20,000 people show for electric daisy. just...massive.
heres a link to the flyer so you can see the lineup:
https://messageboard.texasbeatz.net/viewtopic.php?t=3378

sickpuppy: i'm going to attempt some hybrid wicks in very soon future with this pure kevlar tape i've got lying around. i need to order some more kevlar thread to so i can hem up the end's and keep it from fraying so bad. thats the biggest problem i have, this stuff frays so fast.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
the electric daisies are the same party.
dangit zarah and baru are doing fire there for rabbit as ususal but !i will be out of town! so i'm not swingin there. i'll be in oregon/northern cal with sage and george and david. the only part of this road trip that bums me out. i had a blast last year, i'm sure it'll be great this year too. if we can get you a freebie tick rftek i'll let you know. i'm sure they're like a billion dollars, so we'll see. last year it was easy to sneak in, i hear.
hey i'm doing zen festival again in september! uberzone, jungle brothers, us, kathy russel, lots more! check it out!

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
arashi::
pass on my compliments to the girls! tontien rocked at elysium last night. i think you walked right past me, white pants&vest? i was too shy to say hey, so hey!! teehee, i'm all excited, fixin to build a toy that yall have seen somewhere on this site in the recent past. will post pix when done forging.... ; ) zen fest:: will be there if it doesn't conflict with soupstock. i bought presales for electric daisy@$20, much love for thinking of freebies for me tho! i'm going to try and bs my way in with firegear, if bs need be then bs be. peace! back to work?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
naw, it weren't me, but if it was i'd have kicked your boody for not sayin hi! yeesh, i'm not a "vest" kinda guy. only psycho sexy fairy goth type clothes for me!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Be careful with that kevlar thread, it doesn't hold up as well as you think it would. I have found it better to tuck the ends under so the fray isn't exposed. You can do that easily with catherdrals as well as the traditional style.

As far as the inner material getting baked in my hybrids: I would imagine that over a long period of time the cotton will give out before the kevlar (depending of course on how much kevlar you have inbetween the flame and the cotton). Denim works really well I've found. It is much more hardy than the fabric from an old T shirt or something like that. It doesn't burn nearly as easy. I haven't had a problem with the matirial giving out in my hybrids, and I have been burning on them for about four months now.

Tedwardmember
30 posts

Posted:
The bearclaw hybrids run about 100 burns, depending on how you use 'em. If you tend to burn several times in rapid succession, then they don't last as long ias if you burn 'em once a week (in number of burns).

I think it has something to do with an internal breakover temperature that causes the cotton to break down. Once that starts, they go within a few burns.

As for Kevlar thread, you just got to get it at the right place. If you're taking apart your kevlar tapes, remember, they aren't made of pure kevlar. Most tapes are a nomex blend that has a lower heat tolerance than kevlar, but if you can get actual kevlar thread, it has great heat resistance. The only problem with it is that it's a bit more fragile, and doesn't like certain kinds of knots or lots of rubbing.