vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
In late May (23rd to 27th - spanning Memorial Day weekend in the USA) there will be a local burn in Texas called "Burning Flipside" in the Burningman spirit. I don't want to presume to put it on the events calander, as I am only a volunteer for the event, and not one of the primary organizers (I would be, except I'm bust trying to finish my dissertation before then), but I didn't want you all to be completely unaware of it. Burning Flipside is very much like Burningman in intent and its community feel, but very different in size (about 700 people) and enviroment, which lends a different, more intimate atmosphere. It also sports a higher per capita of fire performers, which is why I thought y'all might be interested. It is a fantastic place for networking with others in our craft, and is in fact the place I learned poi about 1.7 years ago (has it been that long already???). It is also an excellent way to get your Burningman fix mid-year if you are an experienced burner, while also a cheap, convenient, yet still effective way to get your feet wet if you are curious about the Burningman phenominon. go to https://www.burnaustin.org
for details.Tickets are not on sale yet and thier price is not yet set, but they will likely be around $50 - which is a great value for the multi-day experience you get (the facilities at the sight are excellent, so you are basically just paying camping fees).More details will be posted on the website as they are hashed out. -v-P.S. Be sure to read the info on the webpage to decide whether or not this is your kind of event before you decide to attend. While burns are one of the most fantastic things in the world in my opinion, they are not for everyone (though converts are relatively easy to make)[This message has been edited by vanize (edited 12 February 2002).]

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
::sigh::

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Don't be sad Cassandra, just attend! I know, I know - you think you can't, but you really can, and you won't regret it. That goes for all of you reading!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
This sounds promising. I have heard a number of pliya junkies that I know complain about how Buning man is starting to become a parade of drunken jocks who just come to look at naked people, or basicly that it's becoming less and less about the art and comunity and more and more about getting drunk and naked. One in particular mentioned that he wouldn't even go if it weren't for working with DPW actually setting the event up.As it's only $50 I may go just to see. Hopfully it's more an off shoot of Pliya purists then it is a ripoff of the Burn.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.