trance guymember
11 posts

Posted:
ok, just in case your not quite sure what i'm talkin about, a release to me, is when you let go of the poi rope and catch it somewhere else, while makin it all look good. I have figured out a release where you do a wrap under your leg, but let go of the rope and it flys over your leg, but my problem is that i am not sure how to catch it while makin it all blend together. I'll work on that the best i can, but i was just curious if and of you had any releases figured out and completed that you would be able to teach me. if ya have any PLEASE let me know, cuz i have a glowstick battle (competition) soon. thanks 4 your help!

Awshuamember
8 posts

Posted:
How ironic. I was just getting ready to post the same question.

I've just been toying with throwing a single poi from the front, spinning in reverse, and catching behind the back, and vice versa (trowing from behind spinning forward, and catching in front).

I can do both relatively consistant (still not ready for fire though), and have just started to try and throw both poi at the same time with little success. Just a matter of practice though. The idea I have hear is to throw them from a btb butterfly to the oposite hand to catch in front spinning forward.

An additional question for you. How do you see the handle end if spinning fire at night to catch it. I have thought about putting some glow in the dark paint on the handles and "charging" it up before the spin, but havn't been able to find a source for the paint (I know I've seen it before). I'm open to other suggestions though.

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
I haven't practiced with throws but if you think about it, if you get determined you could learn to juggle them with the string and start performing smooth 9 beat weaves.... that's be awesome to see... someday....

PoiDragonmember
33 posts

Posted:
In my opinion to make it look really smoooth you would let go of both at the same time in a wrap so that you catch them both and don't have to worry about making the other one blend.

The Dragon of The Poi

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
well, if bassman still frequented the boards he would be the one to ask, but he doesnt, so...

theres some nasty footage of him doing releases in COL2, and i beleive the most importan thing to notice in the footage, is the way his poi are counterweighted, the handle weighs just as much the head, so when he releases it, it rotates nicely instead of flying off in some odd direction tangent to the path it was spinning in...

also, if you wanna play around with something new with glowsticks, i would suggest trying some colorchanging wraps, which is when you have a glowstick on each end of the string (different colors of course) and you wrap, and release the end youre holding, and grab the other end of the poi, and in effect have switched the color of the swinging end of the poi, very nice when done right...

for more specific help in this matter, i refer you to the all powerful pozee, as he is the one whom i have seen the best colorchanges come out of so far...

thing to note: in both of the above activities, the key is to have both ends of the poi weigh the same!!!!

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I don't think it's necessary to have equally weighted grip/head. I've no experience of this myself, but I'm sure a couple of people on CoL3 (Shibaki, for one) manage a couple of throws with normal looking poi.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
yessssss.. Shibaki throws normal handled poi.. it looks like 40 feet high!
[ does it look this high from below, Shibaki? ]

i've also heard he throws staff.. shoes.. etc..

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Owww! That really hurt! Who throws a shoe, anyway??

Vaguely on topic, how the hell did shibaki do that thing where he catchs (and then throws ) one poi on another?

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
my evil plan for world domination involves obtaining DNA burnt hair samples from shibaki, sage and elvis so that an evil clone (1/8th their size) can be made to run an evil petting zoo, so that colour changing wraps can be performed with rav'n lights. muaa ha h ah ha ha muha ha ha haha etc. etc.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always