Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Overhead Butterfly...is this right??

Login/Join to Participate

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
Ah. I was wondering if this post belonged in the "moves" section or in this section. But since its not really a new move I'm discussing, I decided to post this here...I have a lot of little red blops from my glowsticks on my back :-pMy question was: I'm working on the overhead butterfly, starting from in front of me, then back and then back front again. Am I supposed to switch the direction of my hands from back to front, in order to match the momentum of the original direction? Ex. if I'm moving forward in front, and then when I throw em back, are my hands supposed to switch to backwards? It seems to be the most natural way the move is working for me right now...-=M-D=- smile smile[This message has been edited by MystikDancer (edited 08 September 2001).]

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
you just keep moving your arms/wrists up and down behing your head.If you have your right hand over your left in front.Then in back your left with be over your right.and if you have you left over your right in front.you'll have your right over your left in the back.make sure you bend at the elbows, cause if you just bring your amrs back you'll whack yourself more than not.

We are defined by the choices we make

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
Bend my elbows, yes, bend.*manages not to whack herself in the back of the head every five seconds* [This message has been edited by MystikDancer (edited 08 September 2001).]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Just a terminology nit to pick, but when I think of an overhead butterfly, I think of something done in a horizontal plane--what MD apparently is describing is in a vertical plane, and alternating front-to-back.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
so what's the difference between what MD's doing and a poi windmill?------------------I'm a FF fan. So what?Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Well if you look in the poi moves section the overhead butterfly is the move that MD is trying to do. And it shows them spinning on the vertical plane.Shouldn't the horizontal butterfly above the head be called something like the helicopter , er sumthin,, i know i remember seeing some interesting names for it.

We are defined by the choices we make

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
MystikDancer, yes indeed the direction of the poi change as you do an overhead butterfly. If you are spinning in a forward direction in front of you, then you will definitely be going in reverse while the poi are behind your head. Congrats for figuring this out naturally...it wasn't quite so easy for me.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
moved this to moves!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Naganootch--I stand corrected. As Emily Litella would say: "Never mind."TK:In a windmill, both chains are going the same way. In a butterfly, they're going opposite directions.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
ic, thanks for the clarification.

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
Oh! I was wondering where this post went! Opps! I looked for it for days. I'm silly smile hehe *blush*Well I'm trying to do something, not quite sure now what it is anymore! smile ehehWell All I know is its very painful when the glowstick whacks you in the back of the head...

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
What i found useful...change the positition of ur wrists...like...in a front b-ly...ur palms face up....when its over ur head...your palms face eachother..and when ur doing it over your shoulder...make them face the ground

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother