Forums > Social Chat > HI AGAIN. (+healing poi)

Login/Join to Participate

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
hey all. i've not been posting for a while because i've been too busy so, i've got a fair bit to talk about.firstly when i took a long look at the page its amazing to see how many new people are joining by the day grinit took me a while to read all the posts but now i reakon i'm pretty much upto date. it seems like i'll turn my head and when i look back all the threads on the first page are new tongue anyway. today has been a hectic day. the weather here has been beutiful (for a change it must have been over 25'c cool )after having a relaxing night in with some friends, whom after a while suggested i provide some entertainment of the firery nature. i walked home and got some poi and parraffin (few minutes walk), only to return to find myself with the most agonising muscle strain. After ages of deciding not to perform for fear of worstening my strain, i decided to poi anyway. i sparked up and got into such a deep routine, i forgot about my pain. i mean,, ofter i trance out while poi'ing but never have i lost anything as real as pain, grin wow.anyway, just thought i'd share my late night ramblings with you all again,, sorrryyy tonguei'm curoius of how often other people 'trance out' while poi'ing and what your experiences are ( do you reakon music plays a role in it, i do listen to psychedelic trance while practicing)bye.----------------------------------"we are the dreamers,,,,,, they are the dreampt"

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
I usually find myself in a trance within 10 minutes of picking up my poi. When it gets to a stage where there are no tricks or moves, just a dance, I find myself in one of my deepest states of mind. Psychedelic trance helps sometimes but is not essential.Happy trancing...*TOUCH*

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i get into a total state of mind after i have been twirling for a while.i forget to think of the next move and in the end i just flow.....

JeannieGOLD Member
18 posts

Posted:
Well, I haven't been twirling for very long... in fact, I'm probably going to be saying that for a while. smile You'll know I'm used to the whole idea of "Jeannie~ poi-ing~ tee hee!!" when I start refering to it as dancing instead of twirling. Right now, I'm too focused on not braining myself every other move to really dance with the poi. But it really does trance me out... I can't really poi inside, due to too close quarters, so I'm always outside, music-less. (A boom box is on my list of "Jeannie wants!") Just the movement of the poi, and the arm muscles taking on a mind of their own is enough to drive thoughts of anything else out of my head. As a depressive person (meaning, I get depression attacks, not I depress others. wink Just so you know.) I've been looking for a hobby to help me do just that for a looong time. ------------------There's a requiem, a new congregation; and it's telling me: "Go forward and walk under a brighter sky, every move glowing like a firefly." ~*Delerium*~

É preciso amar as pessoas como se
Não houvesse amanhã.
We must love as if there was no tomorrow.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
If you define Trance as empty thought or thinking about nothing, then I have to say that Im not sure I ever trance. However, if you define Trance as total focus on one thing, to the exclusion of everything else, then I have to say, that I reckon I do that to greater or lesser extents, every time I light up. i'd say meditation fits what I do more than Trance. Trance is what I do when I'm juggling three balls REALLY fast (at least for me) in a wide pattern. Thought for a time dissappears, and I wake up when I drop (a ball that is).Josh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've noticed at least two different states of mind that I achieve.For the first, I'm not sure I'd call it a trance, but my mind is definitely somewhere else when I'm really getting into it. When it's really going well, I'm just gone, I'm not thinking about what I'm doing, I'm just doing. This is pretty rare, unfortunately.The second occurs even when it's not one of those rare burns. My attention gets really focused on just a few things--the music, my body, my moves. I'm definitely not thinking about anything other than what I'm doing. And what's weird is that I tend to tune out the sound of the flames.I probably give a technical better performance in the second case than the first--but the first is more fun. Another interesting thing is that if I burn myself (happening less frequently, thank you), I never notice it until after I'm done.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Theomember
19 posts

Posted:
I agree with Josh about the definations of trance vs. meditation, altho i find when i get in a spin groove i just trance out.I often meditate b4 spinning to get the energy flowing - saves having to buy redbullsAs a side note, after a really intense, long staff session i find i get amazingly vivid dreams about spinning, as well as a sort of 'phantom feel' that i'm still twirling as i lie in bed. strange. Anyone else get something like this?

That is perfect. This is perfect. Perfect comes from perfect. Take perfect away from perfect, the remainder is perfect. May peace and peace and peace be everywhere. :)

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
I definitley go with the meditation perspective. I find I focus totally on one thing when in motion(and the rest of the time), but there are those few moments where you forget the poi and just flow, but I find there is still something floating through my mind. Granted, being a learner the flow areas are few and far, but I solve the 2-3-2 forward weave last night, totally by accident, and it spent the all night spinning on a major buzz, and a couple of smokes :-)~L8ersM"We were somewhere in the middle of the desert when the drugs began to kick in." - Hunter S Thompson

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
cheers guts. it seems like we have all had similar experiences in one form or another grini accept the point that prehaps 'Trance' isnt a word that suits everyones state of mind when poi'ing. ... actually, having heard it, 'meditation' is a word that sums up some of my spins.although guys......you forgot the other question. healing experiences as a result of 'meditation' through poi?

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
cheers guts. it seems like we have all had similar experiences in one form or another grini accept the point that prehaps 'Trance' isnt a word that suits everyones state of mind when poi'ing. ... actually, having heard it, 'meditation' is a word that sums up some of my spins.although guys......you forgot the other question. healing experiences as a result of 'meditation' through poi?