Forums > Social Chat > Stupidly loud music in clubs

Login/Join to Participate

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I like my music LOUD. I have a nice set of speakers at home and a pair of good quality sennheiser headphones for when others are home. I've got no problem with loud music, but there comes a point when its just stupidly loud.

Does anyone else hate clubs where they just crank up the volume to the highest the speakers will go, which are far too powerful for the venue?

Just got home from a new venue at uni, it finished 1.5 hours ago and my ears are still ringing and painful.

Music shouldn't have to be that loud to be enjoyable. If it does, then it's shit and they should play something better. I don't want to sound like an old fuddy duddy/party pooper, but i'm seriously considering complaining to my uni about it.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flid:
..I don't want to sound like an old fuddy duddy/party pooper, but i'm seriously considering complaining to my uni about it.
Do it.

If enough people express dissatisfaction they'll have to do something about it.

I wouldn't mention 'sounding like an old fuddy duddy/party pooper' in connection with stuff like this cos it enforces the popular misconception that people who express dislike of loud music etc are boring whingers; rather than being individuals who care about the state of their hearing and like to be able to hold conversations on a night out.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
When you feel music resonating in your chest rather than hearing it, then it's excessive. Get some of those wax earplugs and keep them in your bag at all times (except when wearing them).

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm no sound engineer but it's high frequency music (not bassy stuff) that really damages your ears which is why dance music sound systems are set up differently with way more emphasis on bass or something like that.

Sounds to me like a sh1t sound system being over pushed as a compensation so there is nothing wrong with pointing out their stupidity. Sound systems are not meant to damage your ears to that extent.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Dirty Marmite SpiderClimbing up my leg
141 posts

Posted:
The night club I work in plays music at a reasonable level. I work there a lot and my hearing's fine. I think the reason that we don't have to play the music really loud is that the DJ has really good records and knows what he's doing. The music should speak for itself.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I have really sensitive hearing and find it hard to find a club that i can go in without my ears ringing after for a day or two. I can't even stand people putting their music up averagely loud in a car or room.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
I love a night club with LOUD music, but to a point. A new night club opened recently in Derry, and for the first few weeks the music was REALLY LOUD! It was so loud that the base made your chest sore as well as having ringing in your ears the entire next day!

Many people complained about the discomfort that they went through and the management turned the volume down a bit. You still have the ringing in your ears for an hour or so, but thats just normal, isnt it?

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Generally the trouble is not so much from the music itself but from people having to shout in your ear to be heard - think how loud that is and when it's from an inch or two away from your eardrum that's where some serious damage can be done!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by frostypaw:
quote:
You still have the ringing in your ears for an hour or so, but thats just normal, isnt it?
nope... they should never ring. if they do they're damaged.

Spot on, ringing only seems normal because so many people experience it after a club night.

The fact is that if your ears ring, they've been damaged by excess volume.

Here's some links from a quick search: -

https://www.rnid.org.uk/html/news/latest/dont_lose_the_music.htm

https://www.abelard.org/hear/hear.htm

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22loud+music%22+ringing+ears+damage+

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

nightsdarkchildmember
84 posts

Posted:
i like loud live music. espeacial at small venues. my ears havent rang in a long time (not so much a good thing). but i can still hear good music when it is being played. so i agree with the stament about the ear plugs. and if the soud is turned up in hopes of making the music sound better, then see to it that the those people dont play there any more and have the club get a new sound guy.

we could live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
swim out past the breakers watch the world die

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I freakin hate loud music. That and poorly equalized music or music on shitty sound systems.

Necrusmember
113 posts

Posted:
The worse thing to do to yourself,is going to a club !

The best thing to do to yourself,is relaxing or bring down the whole room listening to your favorite kind of music !

Music is life gyus,keep it loud or low,heavy or soft,but the most important-->Have it your way!

Metal Rulezzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!