Forums > Social Discussion > Testing the demand for a new poi separatist group

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, I think I might be the only member of this minority by now... just thought I'd see if there is still a group of weaving, butterflying nuts out there. I'm going to call this group of few or many:

the New Ideas for Circular Exploration alliance (NICE)

We at NICE, feel that simple weaves and butterflies are very nice and deserve to still be allowed to be considered innovative and fresh if explored well.

Seriously though, I LOVE them and I still don't feel I'm even half way through with them. Give me 20 more years, then I feel I'll -really- be weaving and butterflying.

I would love to hear from any like minded 'Applicants' and any nice ideas they may have. Please biggrin

Jo. wink

EDITED_BY: Jo (1109039586)

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
But what about women Lightning?

Perhaps we should form T.S.B.B. (The Swollen Breast Brigade)
for women who suffer this spinning malfunction, and for their supporters! wink biggrin

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Well as long as you're not a member of the FITE CLUB...

Fire In The Eye Can Leave U Blind

eek

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Elemental666GOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
RE: The ITMG group

isn't this where all us male spinners started??

spaceySILVER Member
mischeivious pixie
291 posts

Posted:
count me in for NICE.....all the technical stuff confuses me, i just want to spinn, dance and be free....
tongue tongue tongue

"I dont want no fatty bumbum, i want a lean mean shagging machine" anon

"I'm sweet and wholesome with a little bit of filth thrown in"

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Dang it, I've definitely been doing a few FITE CLUB moves...

I think there's a bit of confusion about what the word "flow" means... having avoided the threads that covered this in the past, can someone tell me if there's any consensus on this? Here are some random definitions that I'm going to make up that seem to be what different people mean by "flow"

- grace (gracefulness?)
- smooth transitions between moves
- smooth transitions within moves (that is, not all butterflies are created equal)
- some essence in the selection of moves and/or combinations of moves that leads to continued interest on the part of the viewer
- some meditative internal sense on the part of the spinner

etc etc... many more definitions out there I'm sure...

So what are we all talking about here? Because different people seem to be using the word differently.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
You can perceive the universe in a grain of sand, but i would rather play on the beach and swim in the sea.

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I agree mate. NICE CRAP. wink

Jo.

PS. Orbit, I like you're ideas on 'flow' but I would like to add...

simply...

being yourself. smile

Jo. weavesmiley biggrin juggle confused
EDITED_BY: Jo (1109258142)

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
"The ITMG group (Innovations in Trauma to Male Gonads)"

Errr, I think google might be throwing a few unexpected visitors our way sometime soon.......

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
ubblol - Hi OW, how are you, and how was the burn?

Dude, I would love to hear your thoughts on flow as you are - easily - one of the slickest spinners I've met. weavesmiley

Jo. beerchug

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
After an incident during practice last night (had a burn with some of my firefriends and got home late but had to keep going. you know what i mean) I was inspired to propose a sub-group of ITMG, ITNipPI, Innovations in Trauma to Nipple Piercings. A different sort of pain to the gonad-al variety but....owwwie.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

Perhaps we should form T.S.B.B. (The Swollen Breast Brigade)
for women who suffer this spinning malfunction, and for their supporters!

Their supporters, or their support? Lord knows they're both important, and I'll take the latter over the former any day!! biggrin

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Some jumbled thoughts on dance v tricking:

I really get bored watching people who just do tricks without any flow, there just doing juggling tricks, imo. Though jugglers that move with the flow are great to watch.

So I agree with Josh, and yeah for the Renaissance artistic revival. After all traditional poi are used in dance.

Some definitions: (via dictionary dot com)

Technique is a practical method or art applied to some particular task. Skillfulness in the command of fundamentals deriving from practice and familiarity; "practice greatly improves proficiency".

Technical is having a special skill or practical knowledge especially in a mechanical or scientific field.

Dance is to move rhythmically usually to music, using prescribed or improvised steps and gestures.

What is a move and what is a trick?

A trick is a difficult, dexterous, or clever act designed to amuse. Like in juggling where the aim is keeping (two or more objects) in the air at one time by alternately tossing and catching them. A juggler once said that "poi is for jugglers who can’t let go". So letting go would be a juggling trick.

My definition of a move is that it can be done with out props (wraps are an exception).

Cole, the poi style you describe (ie. not bending my knees or jumping around and to ensure that what i was doing still looked good, and concentrating on clean planes, clean timing, and definite body positions) seems similar to Exhibition club swinging. And perhaps we are leaving the field of dance and entering the field of gymnastics.

What about if we comparing ballet to liquid? I used to think liquid was a dance until I came across this crap at LPC:

I'm really not used to dancing while moving. Actually feeling enjoyment in music and dancing to it without worrying how you look?!?!? We must all make sure this NEVER happens to us! (sanitised)

When you take dancing lessons, you learn steps and you learn steps and you learn steps. It can go on for a long time. And then one day, you just learn to dance, and it is so different. --Bill Austin

wink
EDITED_BY: Stone (1109481434)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DjTimPnewbie
20 posts

Posted:
I feel technicality is the way forward, as you will find with most things in life Jo!

Kick back, relax and role me a FAT ONE!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: DjTimP

I feel technicality is the way forward, as you will find with most things in life Jo!

"Our life is frittered away by detail - Simplify, simplify."

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

tongue wink

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

DjTimPnewbie
20 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by DjTimP

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Jo

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
did i miss some thing?

DjTimPnewbie
20 posts

Posted:
just me and jo having an argument!

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I think it would be very nice if this thread slid away now never to be bumped.....

Sorry to have opened a can of worms...

I hope we can all pull together to make it worth it smile

Jo.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
meh Jo, Im glad you said it. Doesnt look like youre gonna change any minds tho smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I like this debate about tech and dance or movement, it helps 1 think. BUT none of you have posted the word i was looking for, and its just as important as these other familys of style The word that is NOT used enough around here is "form". It has been sadly neglected from the ranks, im guessing due to overkill on tech moves.

Sure tech move CAN lead to poor flow and movement, but after you have mastered its no longer tech...this (to me) is where form is soooo important. (Tho by the looks of my videos, id should be the last to talk about it) It is one of the main areas iv been working on for awhile and hopfully alot of you guys have also.

If you have good form while performing ultra tech moves and have decent movement then you are halfway there. Form can also counter alot of poor quality planes, because the audience will focus on the performer and not just the patterns. Its quite tricky to get the right mix...

A friend of mine, uses alot of his martial arts background for footwork and form, he is just an average spinner but because he looks "cool" it adds to his performance. Personally, i think he looks awsome and have no doubt he has "presence".

An example of form i often use is "snake in the grass" tai chi...looks beautifull with poi... ill have a look round the net and post some Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Sometimes it can be difficult to get the worms back in the can, slippery suckers. Did you know there are 3 metre earth worms living in Australia.

So, I’d like to ask djtimp - what is technical the way forward too? forward to wot?

And Dragon7 what do you mean by form?

smile
EDITED_BY: Stone (1109558795)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Is that a Q? Form maybee i mis-spelt it? Like "pose" i guess, but pose sounds to much like "poser" wink

U know form like THIS but with poi as well!
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1109557704)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dragon7, sorry about the typo.

Cheers smile

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
*SMASH*

breaks the 'Bump only in case of emergency' alarm.

Jo. wink

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Are we playing a RPG because I sense some thread necromancy jo... wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ohh I want to play a monk...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Page: