Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
i was watching a talk show the other day discussing human cloning, and i was just wondering what your views on teh issue are?
me personally, im against it i feel that mother nature is not something you tamper with.
sophiex
heres a website i found that was quite informative human cloning then type 'human cloning' into the search box

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

preambledmember
53 posts

Posted:
If "mother nature" is not something you should tamper with, why then are you using a computer?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I agree with Pre. At this point, mother nature really has nothing to do with the world anymore. Humans no longer abide by the rules of nature (survival of the fittest, natural selection, etc). We will no longer evolve in any meaningful manner due to this so now, we must evolve in technology. Human cloning could be a huge help to the human race if used the right way.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
we could have world peace!! simply by cloning me millions of times and exterminating the rest of the population - i get on with myself quite happily so there would never be any fights!

but seriously, i have no objection with it on the grounds of 'tampering with Gods work.'[ but i think that spirited discussion is best left in the 'new homophibia' thread for the moment]

even if we got to the stage where we could clone ourselves, why bother? most of my personality has been developed and shaped by my experiences, not my genes, so its not as if there'd be another personality identical to mine floating about.

the two areas of concern i have - potential expliotation, and the suffering of the first human clones before scientists get it right. off the top of my head, i think there was 200 odd failures before dolly the sheep successfully reached adulthood. even then, she had to be but down for severe health reasons. are we going put the human 'trials' through that.
the exploitation concern - i have some vague thoughts floating about my head about some hilteresque aryan breeding scheme, but cant get it out in any form of rational arguement at present so ill try later.

there is potential for major advances in medicine - this includes the stem cell debate as well. what do any doctors feel about this?
mike, are you there? what's your view?

heres 8 dentrassi clones for you all!!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
point taken about the computer..oops! but dentrassi explained all quirys/worries better that i could. what kind of reprocussions are we gonna have?take GM food and nuclear power/bombs.. some things just shouldn't be tampered with!!

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
First off... Thank you very much Dentrassi, for sending more people at me! J/K

Anyhoo

I am against the cloneing of a whole human. Now, if you can create arms legs... etc without the destruction of an embryo (I feel that once an egg is fertalised then it becomes a living human) then go for it.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Clone humans and become cannibals I say

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so what no cloning why stop there what about robotics eventually we will end up with intelligent computers that will be smarter than us, its predicted that by the year 2019 the average computer package u buy will have the processing speed of the human brain, and it will continue to double every 18 months how long is it going to take for computers to treat u the same way we treat species that we see as below us, take for example the battery hens. and what about nanotechnology we are making tiny robots that will self replicate and they will eventually replace our own immune systems but what if something goes wrong??? so we should cut out cloning, computing, robotics

maybe we should just go back to nature? unfortunately we cant do that anymore as there just isnt enought nature left to go around with our massive populations and diminished untapped natural reserves.

unfortunately there is a problem with stopping cloning, computing or robotics, that being the way our society is structured and driving by money. so we are already past the point of no return.

the only way to survive is to evolve with the technology and embrace the changes of the upcoming decades.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
quote:
Thank you very much Dentrassi, for sending more people at me!
you're welcome! glad to see you're having fun.

sorry....back to the topic....

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
quote:
its predicted that by the year 2019 the average computer package u buy will have the processing speed of the human brain
Well... back when most of our parents were young scientists were saying that we would be living on the moon and have flying cars by 1990!

Hehe pridictions arnt always right

Umm I dont think that computers will be a problem, the whole terminater idea just doesnt hold any water.

Man will always be curious about what they can achieve. Do we always do this with malace in our hearts? No. What if these super computers and cloning saves lives?

Dont damn the technology when its the use of that technology that is the problem.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cloning is just the next step in human evolution, if you read the new scientist article about the male DNA its faling appart anddestroying itself,so it could be pos that males will no longer be men, more or less somthing diff!

lets just wiat and be nice to teh clones as they will be feared and hated if they are created!

later days

Step (el-nombrie)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
"just" doesn't seem to fit that sentence, Mechhead...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
There is actually a computer that is as powerful as the human brain. Will probably be a while before they're on every desktop though.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
but how do you measure 'as powerful as a human brain' - can it understand jokes, and irony, can it create and imagine? or is merely the program created by some guy in a small darkened room all pasty white darth vadar like after too little time in the sun?

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
'as powerful as' doesn't mean 'same range of functions'. Car engines measured in horsepower.... doesn't mean you can feed it sugarlumps and jump it over fences.....

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
quote:
Well... back when most of our parents were young scientists were saying that we would be living on the moon and have flying cars by 1990!

Hehe pridictions arnt always right

Umm I dont think that computers will be a problem, the whole terminater idea just doesnt hold any water.

moores law has held true for the last 40 odd years (and longer than that if you look at none transistor based computing) so if it continues to hold true and there is no reason to suggest it wont we will have computers with the processing power of the human brain.

as far as the terminator concept goes that really depends on how the robots are programmed really, as there is currently research being done to non destructively scan the human brain, now put that scanned brain into a superfast computer that is capable of reading all human literature and running many magnitudes faster than our own neuron based brains and well it poses an interesting lot of possibilities especially if you get some one like hilter or osama scanned in ........

quote:
but how do you measure 'as powerful as a human brain' - can it understand jokes, and irony, can it create and imagine? or is merely the program created by some guy in a small darkened room all pasty white darth vadar like after too little time in the sun?

part powerful as just means able to do the same number of computations per second, the understanding is the tricky bit (thats my own area of research)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?