Forums > Help! > Flame Dyes! Need some advice

Login/Join to Participate

JoeyJumpSILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
I was wondering if using dyed (Purple) metholated spirits will have any effects on the flame as this is the only fuel I have that is readily available to me?? I just dont want to take the chance of wasting the dyes before confirm wether or not it will effect the performance...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I admit I haven't used the mineralised methylated spirits for flame dyes. As myself I wasn't sure if the minerals would effect the flame colour.

If this is the first time your new wicks are using coloured flames the chances are the colour will be fairly faint anyway. It can take a few burns before the wicks build up enough crusty salts to burn with a bright coloured flame. I haven't tried purple flames (saltpetre I think) so couldn't comment. Took a while for my green flames to take hold though.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Thats useful Mynci, I had a go at green flames for the first burn of my fire-S-staves last night and the colour was a bit feeble, I'll have a couple more burns tonight and see if it improves.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I suggest wearing a breathing mask if using coloured flames as the smoke can be more toxic than normal fuel. What should happen is the wicks will build up a faint crust of salts within which will continue to burn through future usages, hence the reason for having a purpose use wick for each colour you want to use. The colour should get stronger with each use.

also don't waste coloured fuel on old wicks, the parafin already soaked into the keevlar will overpower the "colour" as parafin burns a bright yellow.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Cool, I'm sure I can fit a mask into my costume pretty easily. These are brand new wicks as I'd heard about having a wick per colour. Hopefully the S-staves with bright green fire will look pretty cool! grin

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!