Anomylousstranger
2 posts

Posted:
If you go down to the dollar store, sometimes they have chemical "glow-sticks". Some of these even come with ribbons, probably meant for hanging them around your neck. All you have to do is tie the ribbons on securely, add a finger loop, snap the stick to get it to glow, and start spinning. During the day they just look stupid, but at night it's a pretty cool effect. The glow lasts several hours, they come in three or four different colors, and are pretty durable.

I'm thinking of making a pair of cords with clips on the ends, so I can clip the glowsticks onto them - sometimes the ribbon comes unknotted. Luckily, it's not like the glowstick is hard to find in the dark...

Anomylousstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hmm... I thought I'd come up with a brilliant (pardon the pun) and original idea, but on poking around more... maybe not so much. footinmouth

Oh well. It's still cool.

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
It's called glowsticking. smile
EDITED_BY: Lye (1318533449)

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Well, if you happen to spin frequently and you crack a new pair of chemical glowsticks each time the cost really does add up, and eventually you might as well just fork out the money ($60 or so) for a set of flowlights.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

philzyxxstranger
2 posts

Posted:
As a variant on this you can make tight-arse LED poi.

Every so often Zazz.com.au sells "LED Throwies"
Which is basically a pack of LEDs, watch batteries and small magnets. The idea being you tape them together and throw them at metallic things (yay light graffiti is fun!)

I think it's about $10 for 20 of each
so... cheap as, and you can attach them whatever you've got on hand with just sticky tape.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Technically, it is known as glowstringing.

Also, glowsticks are not your most "green" option. I'm with beaniebob, just get a pair of flowlights and save the earth.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.