Forums > Other Toys > buying first set of fire poi. any suggestions?

Login/Join to Participate

laceecalBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I've spun fire a few times before but am at a loss for which set would be for me seeing as it will be my first set. all other sets I've spun are a friends and homemade, frankly im ready for a little professionalism in my spinning. any suggestions?

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
Laceecal,

I typically chose my fire poi head by weight. Some people prefer one style of knot or fold over another. All styles feel pretty equal to me when spun, besides the weight.

As far as handles and chains go, they are more of a personal preference. As long as they are from HoP, you know that they are top quality and safe to use.

My first fire poi was https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Medium-Cathedral-Ball-Chain-Fire-Poi

Cheap, safe, durable, groovy and I still play with them after more than a year of service.

Remember when looking at the weight, the described mass is with dry kevlar. Saturated in fuel the heads can be much heavier as I am sure you know.

Have fun! Everything is going to work out and we will all hold hands, dancing, singing, and enjoying our brief moment in space and time

Love,
Sean

Groovy

DidgeridudeGOLD Member
Object Manipulationist, Chain Maille Artisan, Didgeridoo Performer and Teacher
37 posts

Posted:
Id have to agree with Sean.
My first set was regular monkey fists with welded link. I spun them for several years before they showed signs of deterioration. And i loved the weight. Plus the monkey fists have a slightly longer burn time than cathedrals or rolls of similar size.
Its all good though. as you learn more and gain more experience youll find it easier to find what your looking for. Keep at it.
smile

I do not have a Soul, . . . I AM a Soul.
I Have a body.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Moonblaze or Isis poi are fun also.

Don't worry too much around your first set though, or you might end up taking forever to pick something.

If you have the chance though, try to find people in your area willing to let you play with their poi so you can get a feel for different types.

laceecalBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Thankyou all for your input. I think I'm going to go for this https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Pro-Series-Cords-with-Monkeyfist-Fire-Poi