Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
nice clap

"Don't do it naked!"

BurningRavenPLATINUM Member
2 posts

Posted:
I am not too sure if this is the right place - but I got a new move too.

what it is:
A one handed cartwheel into a jumping poi threw the legs maneuver.

Brake down:
1. take both poi into the left hand - hold at end of chains.
2. Spin them helicopter style above your head clockwise (poi spinning towards face)
3. When poi pass your head - throw your self in to a one hand cartwheel (hand with poi should be by groin when upside down poi will be between your legs in the air.
4. when you finish the cartwheel leap into the air sending the poi under your right leg, then to your left.

Done.

Sounds weird trying to explain it -- umm.. if you dont understand PM me with questions and I will try to tell you more smile

Thanks and good luck~

Non-Https Image Link

Alexcoustranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hi I'm new to this forum, so hello.

learnt a few new tricks today.

a butterfly hyperloop being one. video

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
BTB hyperloop - Backward easier, forward
need more practise.

----------------------------

Mission completed.

next level,

POI THEO(R)IST

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Whohooo smile

After long practice I finally got the butterfly spiralwrap just as I like it, smooth and precise and without any big moves with my arms/hands.

I also got the splittime butterfly weave fully in splittime without any sliptime :P

I had one idea as well. Left hand isolated forward in buzzawplane while my right doing cat eyes with the hand to left wick and then change between horizontal and vertical cateyes :P SWWWWWEEEEEET! smile

*HAPPY*

EJC! :P

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Thomas, how are you doing the horizontal cateyes?? I can get it once or twice if I'm lucky but I can't sustain it at all.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, maybe you think I´m rude and short now but I think if you talk about cateyes and know how it works and you probably do if you know what a cateye is?! Then there is nothing for me to help yuo with cos the rest is just practice to get the feeling, the cateye itself is very easy to do and to understand but hard to get sustainable....
I´m rude now? frown

The tip I could give is first to make sure that you can controll a 3 and 4 pedal antispin. If you wnna do cateye hybrids with islolation I recomend first to learn 3 or 4 pedal antispin with right hand next left end of poi that is islotaed in buzzaw.

I hope I helped you a little bit?! I´m a really bad teacher online and especially in english so please come to

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
Haha unfortunately the EJC is in Europe, where I am not! smile

I've got the vertical cateye fine, that's no problem at all, it's just the horizontal cateye that I can't seem to get my head around. Every now and then I *think* I have it...

*Sigh* Guess I'll go practice more! smile

Thanks!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Mucky. I went along the same path you did with "Horizontal cateye, eh?" And then had difficulty getting it... I've been getting better results when I return to the way I learned the cateye, holding the poi head in one hand and directing it through the 4 main positions it needs to be in to make it horizontal.

Dunno if that'll help you....

hug

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hyperloops and spiral wraps both in the waist wrap position... Just gotta clean em up a little bit more.

hug

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
at secret garden i managed:

wrong weave
inverted wrong weave (both poi inside plane)
float weave
more float variations
more horizontal stalls
pendulums into horizontal throws

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
After much practice I have determined that the horizontal cateye is, in fact, humanly possible. wink Now I just need to clean it up!

Poiboy, what is a wrong weave and a float weave?

Sorry to keep asking about these things; I'd like to start learning some advanced patterns but I don't have talented people around to show me!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

r0msSILVER Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Recently, I did my first Monkey jump \o/
Now, I have to clean it smile

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Whohooo monkeyjump for the people biggrin

r0msSILVER Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Ho, Thomas, Thank again for the Monkey Jump, and the stall which come with it. smile
Now,I cannot play poi without trying it smile

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ive been having quite a bit of fun with split time vertical cateyes in butterfly.. theyre simple enough in concept, but theyre messy tongue

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Long arm pendulum circling.

alien style,

POI THEO(R)IST

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
*Gives up trying to understand this thread*

I'm gonna go practice my 5-beat weave now.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Richee... is that with the hands swapping which is doing the pendulum each beat? I've been playing around with that, but had sort of stopped playing with pendulum variations... I'll get back on that one.

Sorry, what I meant was do you tend to do it with the hands swapping or not? I'm aware its possible, but doing it without swapping seemed unbalanced to me... swapping seemed to have a more natural feel.
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1220246473)

hug

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Wall plane Pendulum (butterfly) 'clockwork'
with sideway indswings.

Practise routine for complete inswing low
wave.

mmm..clockwork,

POI THEO(R)IST

DarkenAvatar of the Dancing Fire
59 posts

Posted:
I FINALLY got the buzzsaw fountain. If thats what its called here, ive noticed theres alot of dissagreement about move names among different artists.

Its ridiculous, what a pretty move!!

Its a crying shame though, i simply cannot train my hands to do the 5 beat. Lord knows why, i can do some fairly intricate wraps and weaves.

But still. Been practicing this f*cker for like 3 days, im happy to have it. (even if it is a tad sloppy as of right now)

"if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all."

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
The problem comes in that a lot of moves got developed at about the same time, independently. So whoever does it first in a community named it there, and what made sense to them is not always what someone 1000km away thinks the move should be called.

I think the much newer stuff is getting a bit more consensus.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

59 posts

Posted:
I only just got really into this stuff, so i havent seen any of the 'newer stuff'

But it gets a tad annoying here in vegas, anyone with a shoelace and a glowstick thinks theyre the one to see about trick names.

People get offended when you dont call a trick proper-like.

Personally, ive taken to calling entire poi rigs (glowsticks on shoelaces) "whirligigs."

Its an expiriment of mine... ravers are impressionable, and some of them arent fond of thinking for themselves. I have a fair amount of the vegas poi scene calling sh*t whirligigs.

Another of my wasted social expiriments.
Funfunfun. grin

As far as terminology is concerned, i think "big swirly fire" would look cooler on my resume than "3-beat weave".

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Hmm.. I'm not sure if this is "Advanced", but aside from hitting myself in the face a few times, I can basically do a BTB reverse 3bt weave.

Oh, and on a side note, I accomplished my first pretty-ish antispin flower, in front of real people and not just in my room. *shrug*

59 posts

Posted:
Hardcore bro!!

I can also BTB 3beat, only its a little sloppy.

What really confuses me is this motion that the prettier artists use, they walk around and dance so prettily thru the weave, and my eyes and hands dont really comprehend the motion.

Any advice?

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I visualise it by "connecting" parts of my body to the poi... With a horizontal stall for example I can connect my head to the poi head and as such I can lean to the side with the stall and potentially kick a leg out for the other poi.

If I continue that stall and so they end up both on my right, pointing down I simply lean back further.

In a weave I can connect different parts of my body to either the cord or the head... if I connect my hip to the handle and my shoulder to the head I get a lil bit of a weird jiggy... but thats the way I do it..

All this time I'll make up music to go along with my movements to make them more musical... the music I make up must have variation and as such so must my movement.

Its at a different stage that I practice matching my movement to music that is external to me.

All that said, I'm not the best at dancing with my poi as my video shows. (Only one actually contains dance...)

EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1224148795)
EDIT_REASON: Disclaimer added.

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Also, if you learn the move well, you will find that you can move in and out of it with a fair amount of ease.

Just give it some time. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

59 posts

Posted:
Im all about some dancing... grin

I move around like a foolad when i spin stick.

The concept your pitching is both frustrating and exciting...

Can you elaborate?

What do you mean when you say 'connect'? Im confused as to how one applies poi to a specific body part.

Oh yeah, i hella just started work on the first video ill attempt
to post here. Its called 'dirty raver tricks'... the lame lightwieght poi of the underworld made visable. Its much less impressive without the lights off. xD

Im also going to do a video re-DUO POI. I have a friend... technically, my other half... i wear mostly white, him all black, yin and yang status. We go to raves and are currently working on duo sh*t. We can do multitudes of neato 2-person poi, bouncing moves off each other and whatnot. Ill have to show you.

And OMG aston, you dont even know.

Im sooo impatient... i spent so long being a lazy poi artist, im real eager to be as good as these videos im watching.

Its like, its me vs the poi now in a no-holds-barred-deathmatch.

And ill be damned if the spinny glowy lights will beat me this time.

Im becoming an addict, i spend more time on poi websites than my myspace.

Is there like, a poi-annonymous group i could get into? This might become a problem.

***OMG EDIT***

After a solid hour of dedicated practice, i showed that five beat what for.

Sloppy, but do-able.

<3333

This must be what god feels like. grin
EDITED_BY: Darken (1224202018)

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I'll make a video in a few weeks to illustrate the idea, Darken. Its difficult to explain body movement without using my body to explain it.

I am an addict, don't fight it, Darken. Join us. *Cackles evilly*

Aston, you raise a fantastic and yet simple point. Thanks for adding that in! grin To add to that, once you know a movement without thinking of it, you can start to use that cognitive power in order to think of different ways you can play with it... but thats the same thing, said in a much poncier way, I just thought I'd chuck it out there if you would understand that better. ^_^

hug

59 posts

Posted:
I suppose you mean the way i can now 3 beat with ridiculous ease due to muscle memory..

Like, once i train myself to do the move without thinking, ill be free to think of ways to mess around with it?

I think im in the ballpark. grin

And im actually really looking forward to your video, MNS. Your one of the few who reply to my posts, and youve been both friendly and helpful. Im excited to see what i can learn from you. smile

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

Page: ......