thegramreaperGOLD Member
I just wanna play it right
22 posts

Posted:
Good day everyone, I'm enrolled in a math class this semester at my college and we have just recently been assigned our main project and I have been allowed to do my project on poi spinning. Specifically, the variations in styles of poi by the different weights and shapes of different kinds of poi and how they can affect the velocity and momentum needed to perform certain styles and tricks. If anyone has any sage advice or stories of the differences they've seen in experimenting with different kinds of poi, it would be greatly appreciated in my undertaking of this project. Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any help you may have to offer.

There's a time and place for everything, it's called "college."

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Well, to me the single biggest gear differences I've noticed are:

A) How head-heaviness (or a lack thereof) changes pretty much everything, especially stalls. The more evenly the weight is distributed along the cord, the more everything sucks.

B) Tailed poi need swivels to avoid suckage.

C) The different catches and cord-contact tricks that are possible with counterweighted handles. Some of Nulleamai's tosses and wibbly stuff, for instance, are virtually impossible with normal contact poi. On the other hand, moves that involve whipping the handle around can't be done easily with heavy handles. And contact rolls with heavy handles will usually try and jump off your body. (You may be able to tell, this is the aspect of my gear I've played around with most.)

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I was going to pretty much say:

Stalls and Isolations are the thing I see most affected by head weight (or lack there of)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Don't forget glowsticks my friends. Because of their light weight they are perfect for wraps because they have little momentum and easily bounce back after a wrap and can easily be spun very fast.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
Fire poi for the most part handle very differently than normal poi due to the air resistance of the fire.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I've never understood, fire isn't matter, it's the visible energy from a chemical reaction (so says the AP Chem teacher with the masters in chemistry something). So what about the fire gives it more resistance? I can feel it, but I don't understand it.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Are you sure it's not just the fuel's weight that you feel?

I don't see why fire would add air resistance, especially considering it uses air in to burn.

2,280 posts

Posted:
If I had my guess it would be that rapidly expanding air from the heat of the fire would push against the air running against it giving it more resistance.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, fire isn't just light and heat, but the plume of hot expanding exhaust from the combustion process, throwing in weird convexion effects and turbulence. My practice poi are about as heavy as my fire poi, but there's definitely a difference.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I think someone should do some testing, as I own no fire poi (only torches) I cannot test this too well.

Unlit vs Lit

Unfueled and Unlit vs Fueled and Unlit

Fueled and Unlit vs Lit
EDITED_BY: meshunderlay (1287665230)

2,280 posts

Posted:
I've done unlit and fueled vs lit. It feels quite noticeably different. I sometimes light one poi with the other while spinning.

thegramreaperGOLD Member
I just wanna play it right
22 posts

Posted:
Thank you all for the help and insight, it's much appreciated and will be a great asset in this project.

There's a time and place for everything, it's called "college."