Forums > Help! > fire permit confusion

Login/Join to Participate

teegardinzenSILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
ok, so my friend sue wanted us to be on the up and up with doing fire spinning performances in public in maryland and started calling around to see if there were any other permits we might need (we've been doing public performances downtown for a few months with insurance and permission alone). she'd call one place and they'd send her to another, higher up branch and so on til she had to call the bomb squad and all kinds of crazy stuff. finally she gets to a guy that does pyrotechnics and says he has to be there to make sure everything is ok and will charge us $350 to do so. here's what she said:

"I spoke from one branch of the Fire Marshall's office all the way to a guy names Hugh Hynes who actually has a license for pyrotechnics. A permit needs to be pulled at $50 for this coming event on October 2nd. We need to have the Fire Marshall there at 5:30 to be sure we are all good in our set up and apparently Hugh (who would charge $350 for his time that night) to be there while we perform to make sure that it is all good while we perform. A pyrotechnics license is $150 for 3 years and you need a 1 year internship before you can be there for something like this."

does this sound right? or does it sound like they are confused as to what we actually do? what has been your experience with performing in public?

i would really appreciate any feedback you all have about this. thanks so much!

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i could be wrong but to my knowledge all you need is fire insurance and a certified fire safety and your good to go but yet again i could be wrong

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Warior DrakeSILVER Member
The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
I dunno, I'm from new york city, they don't like us doing things so we usually just talk to the cops in the area and then leave if they get annoyed.

Don't let your world end with you

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
you may not want to spin fire in New York City, do you?

eek

Try these:

https://www.specialtyinsuranceagency.com/performer-insurance.html

https://www.americanfireartists.com/main/membership.php

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

KaspurGOLD Member
Eternal Student of all things Skill
110 posts

Posted:
In Kansas City the only thing that is required is to have an open flames permit that we obtained from the Fire Marshal. It was issued under the Fire Prevention Code for Kansas City, Missouri under 105.6.32. If they don;t have this set up in your area then you could refer them to this possible to help them understand what your wanting. Once we had the permit we just contact our Fire Marshall to let them know the location we will be performing at and then they may show up to check on us. If we are performing at a venue they usually require a letter from the venue saying we can perform there. The venue will almost always require fire insurance so we just keep it year round every year. Hope this helps and if you have more questions feel free to p.m. me and I'll try to check back here.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Over in Kansas it's far more douchey and murky about the open flame laws. frown It's so murky the fire brigade in OP couldn't even tell me what city ordinances would apply.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

KaspurGOLD Member
Eternal Student of all things Skill
110 posts

Posted:
Yeah in the outlying cities near Kansas City it's more of a get forgiveness instead of permission type of deal. Technically in OP as long as the flame is under 2 foot by 2 foot it's considered recreational and doesn't require a permit.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
If someone from the fire department is there anyway overseeing the performance I think hiring an extra pyrotechnician who doesn't even do pyrotechnics seems totally redundant.

At an indoor location where we sometimes perform a guy nearly burned the building down when he layed down at pyro fountain and it fell onto its side sparking into the backstage area. Since then the city council require that the location has a member of the local fire department on site whenever a non pyro fire show takes place. I believe they pay the fire department 100 euros for the guy to show up, ask what were doing and watch the show.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Not helpful to this particular situation but may help others.

In Texas:
You can burn in rural areas if there is not a burn ban in progress for that day. Fire poi is covered under ceremonial burns by the TCEQ Chapter 111.207. TCEQ Chapter 111

In incorporated areas you must check with the Fire Marshal's office for ordinances that might pertain to outdoor burn activities considered 'ceremonial'.

In Oklahoma(the land of a million governments in action):

On Tribal lands, you are required to obtain an outdoor burning permit from the local Nation.

On US lands and rural county areas(excluding Bryan, Carter, Love, and Marshall counties), as long as a burn ban is not in effect, you are permitted to burn with a functional extinguisher present and a 5 meter radius free from burning hazards around your performance area.

In municipal areas(excluding cities in Bryan, Carter, Love, and Marshall counties), as long as there is no burn ban in effect, you must check with the Fire Marshal's office for local ordinances covering ceremonial burns.

In Bryan, Carter, Love, and Marshall counties, the state and municipal laws regarding outdoor burning were altered in 2008 when they were incorporated into the Dallas Fort Worth metropolitan area. In most of these counties you will be heavily fined for most outdoor burning...but there are a few event exceptions and loop holes on state, tribal, and lands homesteaded before 1911.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

PoisonDawnBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
How do you find the guidelines for the area youre in about fire? Fire fans and breathing are considered open fire, I'm sure

"Like a Dragon?" "Yes, I suppose like a Dragon."

corestripemember
40 posts

Posted:
Rules rules rules ....I'm an agorist witch means I am in control of my body chemistry amongst other things that include my personal space and state of mind meaning that my spinning fire is a spiritual experience there for considered religious recreation.............untouchable smile

How goes it ?¿