Forums > Other Toys > Torch Poi Chain Connection

Login/Join to Participate

Warior DrakeSILVER Member
The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
Hey all. I've decided to get into my own gear design, not for profit or sale or anything, just like so many of you I want to make my own stuff. I've never been much of a hardware type, always the geeky quiet kid who knew everything about computer software and programming and if you told me what to do and gave it to me I could do it, but I never picked up on what things where called or where to obtain them.

I've spent the better part of the last week kicking out an idea for a pair of torch poi, something I'm beginning to use as my main play toy and I'd love to carry that over to fire, here's what I've got so far:
Kevlar Wick (obviously) attached to--
Aluminum pipe with a wooden dowel insert with--
Good gripping and comfortable bike handle grips for the handle over--
Threaded end of the aluminum pipe with a cap over another wooden dowel--
Using a small (but strong and reinforced) eye screw screwed all the way into the dowel which connects to--
A few sections of twisted link chain (just cause that's what I like to use and have access to) and finally--
Leather(subject to change) strap sewn together to form a loop using a small grommet to create the opening for the chain.

That's it. I opted not to use swivels since there's really no call for them on torch poi (please correct me if I'm wrong) and the twisted link will be carefully cut open and then re-welded, by me, to form a straight connection from handle to torch, no need to worry about split rings or anything especially given the lack of the swivels.

My only concern is the eye screw. It should be fine, but I've never seen it done and I really don't know what else to use there, I am open to suggestions though. I'm really just looking for support if you think I'm doing something right or a scolding if you disagree so that I know to rethink and learn something different for the benefit of safety.

Thank you all in advance, and sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't know where else to put it and "Help" didn't seem like the appropriate place, I could be wrong though.

Don't let your world end with you

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
It seems reasonable.

Another method which may work is a metal disc, the width of the pipe. You could then weld the chain to that and weld it to the inside of the pipe. You method is likely easier though.

Caveat: I am just thinking aloud here, but it seems like it may work....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
Thanks man. I keep seeing what looks to be a cap for pipe that's bolted on and is purely meant for connecting pipe to chain. It looks different on all the things I see but the same, so what I'm trying to say is it might be a fairly common hardware piece. Might just be even easier to use that. Let you know if I can find it.

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Warior Drake
That's it. I opted not to use swivels since there's really no call for them on torch poi (please correct me if I'm wrong)

The dowel really does need a swivel like a nunchuck swivel so it can roll cleanly off the body, no swivel is needed on the handle end though really. My torch poi are swiveled at the dowel and it is most helpful for body contact moves.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
thanks Eon. What kind of a connection do yours have to go from torch to chain? Just curious, I'll probably go with my methods until I find one that works, but I'm thick headed like that.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
https://www.firemecca.com/p-1055-nunchaku-swivel-kit.aspx

That is the part at the end of the dowel with the chain cut in half, it really makes the set (came standard on mine) then I made my own chain extension and handles customizations connected to that little bit of chain. You could easily split those with small bolt cutters, they have been a staple in my place since I've gotten into the arts & crafts side of fire things.

Hope that helps some. smile

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)