Page: ...
Daniel_HendricksGOLD Member
The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
Ok so a thought has recently come to me that would require quite a few hands and quite a bit more preperation. All I want to do with the rest of my life is spin fire and enjoy living. I know I am not alone in this desire. Therefore the only sensible thing in my mind has been to save up enough money to buy some land somewhere, make a generous sized garden, and live. The basic needs of food and shelter would be covered. Next comes the idea of companionship, and in marches the commune ideal. All comments welcome, but this really is a serious idea of mine so lets not get too out there folks. Possible location: ALASKA; homestead act is still viable in alaska meaning you pick a plot of land, make it better, and after seven years its yours. Any takers?

"it is something to be able to paint a picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look," thoreau

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
most definately somewhere in the tropics though rainforesty cause most other places get fire bans for most if not all of the year. secondly rainforest doesnt have those tricky "Australian Squirells" to chase you around the place wink
EDITED_BY: triptrician (1271819967)
EDIT_REASON: and the temp is warmer

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Those things can kill you!!! They're all territorial and drop out of trees with their razor sharp claws! All I think they are good for is a fur coat! And the flippin possums! Thanks censored that brought them to NZ, many a sleepless night have I had BC of those evil bastards. In the states the different but same possums are just as sinister but they do it quietly!

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Possums i can understand they are evil little bastards particularly when they get into your warehouse and piss and censored all over your nice clean show room.

@ Dan this idea has got the creative juices flowing. going to invest some time into researching the possibilities. Will post up the info as it comes to hand. I am with you i think it is feasible and a brilliant idea

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Well, with my school about to $*%& me over, I think I'll definately be ready in 2 years (just have to finish paying off my school loans *rolls eyes*.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
No the evil Koala thingys too!

I have been looking at Alaska, it's not so bad actually, massive resources. I have found a way around the whole immigration thingy in Australia and the US.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
See with Alaska I would be more scared of running into Sarah Palin than running into a koala in Australia. All jokes aside alaska sounds great 50 - 60k for 20 plus acres. My grandparents have an acre and they have had in the past chickens several fruit trees herb gardens and plenty of room left for 15-20 grandkids to ride bikes and play around as well so over 20 acres there should be plenty of room to set up a sustainable community for a group of spinners

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
I thought of the tropics as well but the idea of poisonous... well poisonous everything really just doesn't sit well with me. Speaking of injurious stuff, we should really try and find an emt. Or someone with basic knowlege that can fix common stuff, breaks and the sort.
If i bring up poisonous stuff of the tropics i may as well bring up the bad points of alaska as well- bears. granted they arent the man eating evil ones from yellow stone, but they're still bears. The way i see it, if the eskimos can make it out there so can we.

interesting side thought- why make this the only commune? Several around the world would be amazing- and ascilith can travel amonst them all with his monk entourage... hmmmm monk as an adjective = monkey?

"it is something to be able to paint a picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look," thoreau

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
I'd be all for it, but not in Alaska. I have no doubts it could be done there, but I have other reasons for avoiding it. Make it somewhere a little more south and I'm in.

You know Colorado still has the homestead thing too? Make improvements and/or show profit off the land and in a few years it's yours. I've spent weeks in Colorado and never left the mountains, would be much easier to be self sufficient there.

And as for tropics, poisonous everything is not that serious really. You just have to learn how to be a part of a new environment. I'd say El Salvador if going the more tropical route.
EDITED_BY: JaredW (1271855819)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Colorado is extra good because it's a quick drive to burning man

also in Alaska, we'd need a huge studio for when its too cold to spin outsdie

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
@Jared: Colorado sounds pretty cool- i'll check into the homestead plots available

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Good luck finding any info on it. Last I heard of it was several years ago so I won't be an help at all laugh3 I just know there was a guy I met who was trying to get his setup, was having problems finding profitable land though. He was wanting to do a little mining and there was just no good mining land left.

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
ok colorado's nice but expensive. couldn't find anything on homestead properties.
i'm currently working on a charter to outline some basics on how this all can be operated- thanks again for all the help and advise refuge

right now it looks like a feasable plan could be to set up a primary commune in austrailia and a secondary, smaller one in alaska.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Austrailia, sounds good. What is the immigration process like to there?

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
here is a link to the immigration dept web site https://www.immi.gov.au/
hope that helps

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
*keeps mouth shut*

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
although there is another idea, we could start a fire commune on an abandoned couple of little islands off the east coast of Australia somewhere in the tasman sea:p

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
YES. however one negative thought that comes to mind is why were they abandoned? most uninhabited places are uninhabitable... but of course an expedition could answer that question real quick

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
nah thats just refuge and i taking the piss out of each others countries

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
OYE!

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
yea he just told me. way to get my hopes up...

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Trip: Learn how to say things properly..... grin

Dan: Watch your bill fold around Trip....

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
in other news. They need to invent teleporters.

Then we could have a commune anywhere!

/dream

Just a dancer in the dark

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I know a great place we could send all the offenders!

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
i think i know where this ones going...

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
i thuohgt i was syanig tinhgs poreplry

and whats a bill fold. is it this *holds up Dans wad of cash*
EDITED_BY: triptrician (1272002992)

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
hey! where'd you get that?! thievery is not allowed- its stated in the charter.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Refuge CrewI know a great place we could send all the offenders! touche bud i got nothing for that

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: triptricianOriginally Posted By: Refuge CrewI know a great place we could send all the offenders! touche bud i got nothing for that

I seriously doubt that! Is that Da.... I mean.... our beer money?

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
ok, gettin off topic here- anyone got further ideas on job classifications. so far i got building, hunting/gathering, medical, clothing, and farming. I know eath of those are likly to have subsets of their own but any other broad ideas?

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
o. and i'd still like my "bill fold" back

Page: ...