Forums > Help! > flowers and such ./

Login/Join to Participate

Handy Andystranger
9 posts

Posted:
SO .
ive only been spinning for 2 weeks now , ive already lit them on fire (very successfully mind you) and today while walking to my friends house i was trying out some different stuff .

FIRST .
i was trying flowers . however, its very sloppy . i was wondering if anyone might be able to give me advice on how to control and "clean up" my flower . its mainly sloppy at the back , but its sloppy all around hah .

SECOND.
im not exactly sure what this one is called . its a type of flower , but my arm rotations are in opposite directions while the poi are spinning the same direct.
again , verry verry sloppy ..

sloppy sloppy sloppy ...

THIRDLY .
dont even know if this is a move . haha . i dont even know how to describe it .. uhm . my right arm is spinning the poi forwards , and my left, backwards . if thats easy to understand , like .. my arms arent rotating, only the poi hah .
and apparently im very sloppy at everything .

LASTLY, but certainly not leastly .
i usually transition from butterfly to get to this .
spinning both poi in one hand .
issues:
1. behind the back
2. behind the head
3. back to one poi per hand .

im hoping to get these latest ones down, and im hoping to do it well. lol , but who doesnt want to be perfect at it smile

heres a little background on me .

first day i spun poi, i was doing a butterfly, and spun them behind my head perfectly, which is the main reason i stuck with it , cause apparently i wasnt horrible at it . now , i cant think of anything else haha .

i spend most of my free time practicing, so any helpful tips would definitely but of appreciation smile

also, just some info, im hoping to get some pictures taken from my friend soon, so ill get those up asap smile

cheers !

Healthy Body sick mind, too hectic, too hectic, healthy body sick mind, its just a matter of time .. sick body sick mind opivy<br />

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Short answer: do a search. A lot of these can be answered with a sufficiently determined trawl through the archives, in particular the technical sections.

Longer answer: Work on plane control. If you have only been spinning for a few weeks you likely have not gotten the poi spinning completely straight yet.

In addition, make sure your poi are heavy enough: if they are too light you can not feel them very well. Also, to get flowers, do not worry about how many petals you are making, just move your arms in the correct way. Once your get comfortable with this, the rest will fall more into place.

Not quite sure what you mean by the third. Just spinning the poi in opposites? Will take a while to get solid most likely.

Do not worry about your "sloppiness" at this point. Poi is in the large concerned with how you move your body, so you need to train it to do some fairly odd stuff, include moving in counterintuitive ways.

Another source that might help you is the video section of the library here on Home of Poi.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: aston

In addition, make sure your poi are heavy enough: if they are too light you can not feel them very well.

Heavier poi also tend to stay in their planes better which will help with the other point, downside you get hurt when you get hit

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Handy AndySO .
SECOND.
im not exactly sure what this one is called . its a type of flower , but my arm rotations are in opposite directions while the poi are spinning the same direct.
again , verry verry sloppy ..

sloppy sloppy sloppy ...

It's what I've seen called a goofy flower or a hybrid flower. The easiest kind is the non-polyrhythmic sort (Derek's wall plane hybrid flower tutorial is an example); Nick Woolsey covers polyrhythmic versions (which I can only occasionally pull off) in Scales of Poi, and I'm sure somewhere else on the internet.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s