Forums > Technical Discussion > How Much Kevlar Needed For Cathedrals

Login/Join to Participate

ZeradinGOLD Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
I'm going to make some normal sized 2" x 2" x whatever is normal (2/2.5?) duo fold cathedrals. How much kevlar do I need? The tutorial says 4-8 feet per, that's a wide range. any advice? Thanks!

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
According to their specs HOP uses

Quote:Total of 2.4m of 50mm x 3.2mm long life kevlar wick

for their cathedral heads. I guess that's 2.4m each...

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh 4 is for the cube, 8 is for the mega-cathedrals. I myself am planning on makining my own wicks from rope. Depending if I do Isis or something similar to Isis that I came up with, I'll either have 8 5ft lengths to order (mine), or 4 4ft and 4 6ft to order (Isis).

Unfortunately you can't buy, as far as I know, anything to practice wick tape designs with like you can rope frown I would love to if anyone knows of such a cheap thing. Cheap as in like how I got 100ft of 3/8" rope for $10.

Also, what I may suggest to you is instead make Moonblaze fire poi, much nicer and I think even cheaper. At least if price for different size tape works like rope where as it gets bigger the price goes WEEEEEEEEE!!! into the sky. It's very easy, just do a crown knot with 2 strands of 1" tape instead of the folding with the 2" tape. You'll also need it to be longer, but hey, it'll be worth it wink If you don't know how to make them I or someone else will post to you how if you do want to make them. Because I learned that they would be super easy to make.

Edit: Looked at the specs, for the cube if you still want to make it is 2 lengths of 4ft Kevlar per head.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1271285113)

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You can just use thick denim to give you a rough idea of how much you need. Do not use it for fire though.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Where might I get some plain old denim? At like a craft shop or something?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Any fabric shop would have denim, craft shops may or may not, but it'd be more expensive in a craft shop, at least 'round my part of the world.

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Fabric shop denim tends to be the papery thin stuff you'd expect for costumes or craft projects, the thick, "REAL", denim that's used on jeans is a bit harder to find.

This statement is false...?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You could, in theory, just plug it into a formula for folds and how much is used.

Not sure where to find one, if I get bored enough this weekend, I will give it a whirl.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland