SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Hey there, I'm only about a month and a half into poi and I was learning my orbitals and I was holding it like Nicks "Superduperuberloop" and I wanted to see what would happen if I let it slack. So I did and one went up and one wen down then I pulled and it reversed direction. I did this 3 times in a row. Does anyone else know about this or am I a sorcerer of some kind because that was the coolest thing I've ever seen, in video or otherwise. It was like freakin magic! Btw any words of advice in learning orbitals would be nice because I'm pretty inconsistent. All I know is interlock them evenly and bring them up and pull when the poi are vertical or else they fly apart or bounce around then fly apart.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

2,280 posts

Posted:
OK it's night now and I can't repeat it >:O It's all part of learning I guess. But I only wish I could have repeated it at least once out of like any amount of tries so i could get a little video of it but it just keeps going forward as usual. :`(
I'll just see if I can find it on youtube for you guys.
Edit: Nope I can't. At least not for now.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1259034307)

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
Heard lots of people ponder on it but ive never seen it done.

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.

DaedraSILVER Member
The Dae Walker
75 posts

Posted:
I think Keith is playing around with Orbitals a lot.
VLOG Orbitals
Some good stuff in there!

Once my father gave me a kiwi... I thought it was a rodent and I stroked it until all the fur fell out - White Ninja

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have to say that was pretty cool, nothing like what I did and killed myself on the inside a little because I know I may never do it again and if I do it will be like once out of luck.

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
I've done it before. It happens sometimes when I try to get out of orbitals and fail; it just throws them the other way.

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
a lot of people have played with moving their hands closer together and pulling them apart (clapping), which usually leads to the orbital becoming elliptical for a beat, but if you hit the timing just right, sure you can change direction.....will any audience member notice or care? probably not. does that mean you shouldnt try to get it consistant, hell no!

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
^ yes on that tankboy. Its fun to do and you can actually clap your hands together... plus Nevisoul hit himself in the face doing this. grin

I've just been trying and I haven't managed a direction change with this. I think this is because with stalls, along with extending the arc of the swing, you follow the poi head to quieten the energy of the swing, then you reverse. However, with orbitals they are connected in the middle so you are unable to follow each poi head individually, sure you can clap, which slows down the rotation by extending the poi in an elipse, as Tankboy said, but you cant follow the individual poi heads to absorb the energy and change direction.

but!!! you've done it so it must be doable. and i wanna see it done !!! ^_^

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Its doable. I haven't even attempted it, but I can see it working like an inverted stall.

Try doing the stall when your hands are in the middle as with a clap.

I'll give them a go soon. ^_^

hug

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DaG^ yes on that tankboy. Its fun to do and you can actually clap your hands together... plus Nevisoul hit himself in the face doing this. grin

I've just been trying and I haven't managed a direction change with this. I think this is because with stalls, along with extending the arc of the swing, you follow the poi head to quieten the energy of the swing, then you reverse. However, with orbitals they are connected in the middle so you are unable to follow each poi head individually, sure you can clap, which slows down the rotation by extending the poi in an elipse, as Tankboy said, but you cant follow the individual poi heads to absorb the energy and change direction.

but!!! you've done it so it must be doable. and i wanna see it done !!! ^_^
If I ever get it down, I'll put it on the forums for sure. All I can think of is that it slowed down to the point where it stopped and the when I pulled back it came back down. But that's just my thinking. If anyone knows a video of it that would be awesome, and if you can do it, for the love of god put up a tutorial because you might get some kind of award, or maybe just a hug, but some gratification none the less. I'll be sure to repost even if I do it again by accident. And I bet we all want to see it done, it looks like F*%&ing magic grin

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Well, I had a crack and I could get a stall from an orbital like... 1/100 times... mostly by luck. But I couldnt get it to come back into an orbital. Likely possible to pull out of the orbital that way, but I dont really see how you could get the momentum to return to an orbial while retaining the precision it takes to get the stall.

Then again, my reverse infinite hyperloops are bad, I never got into tangly stuff much.

hug

2,280 posts

Posted:
what is an infinite hyperloop? Remember I've only been in poi for just over a month.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtxPtOsqr6A

I think he says most of it in the first 1m 20s or so.

hug

2,280 posts

Posted:
ty but I already looked it up xD

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Its there for the next person who wonders what the hell I was on about now. tongue2

hug

2,280 posts

Posted:
lol, it so slow and has enough slack that it doesn't twist the sock poi. but i feel no need to learn it, as far as I'm concerned, the only things I need to work on before I start Fire Poi is things I can already do, butterfly breakdowns if you can do those, and spinning for long periods of time without hitting myself. And I can now do orbitals really consistently and I can do claps now ^_^ I might just have to get some glowstrings so i can take them to parties and raves in my pockets. tongue2