mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
A quick poll about why people watch videos... if you choose other, or if you want to state your answers, please post!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ach.... you listed nearly every option of why I do watch videos and I'm only allowed to tick three... that's like... standing in a cake shop and only having 30ct in the pocket...

wink

hwvr thanks for making this poll

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
you cant choose multiple options frown

i would say:
to learn new tircks
because i like watching spinning
to see what xxx famous spinner is up to
to watch a well made video with good editing and ideas
because a video is funny
because a video displays extreme skill
because a video is beautiful.

all in no particular order.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you can choose three, I thought three would be enough

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
not with these many good options...

shrug

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
where the option says "to see what xxx famous spinner is upto" i did pick it, but its not just well known names that i will click on in the video thread, they will probably get clicked first though before other "unknowns". for me i like watching videos cos its cool to see what other people are upto.

having lived places where there aren't too many other people to jam with, video is awesome cos it does help you feel more in touch with things.

if i lived in say bristol or london where there are loads of people to spin with i might not watch videos as much but i probably still would cos watching spinny vids is cool innit,.

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
All of the above.

I appreciate the skill of the performance and the (post) production. I know most people who post vids and if not I'm always intrigued to see who has started making them.
Its always interesting to see what everyone's up to - what new directions are things moving in?

Thats probably a completely unhelpful answer.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
I watch videos of juggling because I like it.
I watch staff videos because I want to learn new contact stuff, keep myself up to date etc.
I don't watch poi videos, unless they're of someone I know.
I watch meg's videos because I fancy her.

But I feel I need a caveat to this. Like, without knowing the contents of these videos before I view them, and not knowing what I'll get out of them, I watch because I manipulate stuff too.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
one of your reasons is the very detriment to my watching habits wink

I watch vids because it's fun to see what other ppl are doing and how the vid is edited...
I love to watch vids with ppl who love doing what they are doing and when that love shows...
I love to see grace and perfection mate in vids of Yuta and Ronan for example, but not exclusively
If a tutorial is funny then it's even adding to the joy of watching it...

Yet I omit boring vids, no matter how technically perfect they are, because they are just a waste of (my) time.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I coudn't limit myself to 3. Famous spinner/favourite spinner/friends overlap and are all true. To see cutting edge is true. Well made vid is always better. many vids are just boring. Few staff vids can I watch all the way through.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Nice to see you again Moptop smile

I watch spinning videos when I get bored.
I already have all the good ones and haven't downloaded any new ones for quite some time now.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Most of the above, except I know very few people IRL who post videos.

I tend to go for the ones that are amassing views yet not getting any comments because these are often posted by "unknowns" and there's a tendency here on HoP for people to comment on videos by famous spinners or people they know IRL with some of those good ( yet unknown ) spinners clips fading into obscurity. I used to wait until a clip got to the bottom of the page before *bumping* it back to the top with a comment, but since the video section slowdown, now I do it instantly.

I can tell whether a video is worth watching in about 30 seconds. In this streaming universe, it's easy to skip forward to see if a video's worth watching in it's entirety and I'm mostly looking to be entertained and hopefully pick up a few ideas along the way.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Maybe I should make two new polls:

"Why do you NOT watch videos"

and

"What qualities gets a repeat viewing?"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
woop woop - why not making 2 in 1?
but make sure you let us tick more than 3 then ntmg ubbrollsmile

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
MCP I think those other two questions are excellent, and would probably yield more interesting responses smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
well one quality that makes sure of repeat viewings is having something in there that confuses the hell out of people, also just a nice concept executed well. i'd say the durbs+strugz vid with lamb-til the clouds clear on soundtrack is a good example of this. i've lost count of the amount of times i've watched it and shown it to others because its just a really well done video.

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
To be inspired.

I watch (instructional) videos (of any art I do) when I am bored so that I can be inspired to get up again.

What makes me not want to see them again?

Poor videography. Too many cuts, funny angles, shakey motion, bad lighting or extreme repetition. Anything that looks like it's trying entirely too hard to be more than it is. Someone who doesn't look like they enjoy what they do, are too stoic or too self-involved, this last especially in teaching.

What makes me want to see them again?

Strong technique (even with basic skills), strong presentation, people who are visibly comfortable and natural with what they are doing, and diversity.
Humor always helps. In fact for me, humor is in all the videos I watch the most come to think of it.
EDITED_BY: Pele (1245791556)
EDIT_REASON: language correction

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

More polls...
"Why do you NOT watch videos"
"What qualities gets a repeat viewing?"

For those that did... thanks for replying in here thou. grin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Ah... so the very reason I put in cos it wasn't true for me... is in the lead. I didn't expect that.

Most people actually enjoy watching spinning. Fair enough.
Then: To learn new stuff...
Then: Cos it's well made.

Well well well.

I thought friends recommendations and comedy would have had a higher placing on the leaderboard... What do I know eh...