swirlygrrlSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to open myself up to more creative movement, rather than going from trick to trick. Who inspires you in this area? If you can link to a video, that would be great!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Something about Pistache really works for "dancey poi" for me.

Perhaps its just a techy lady makes for a certain kind of fluidity, I dunno.

hug

Nell.woz.erePLATINUM Member
&*(%^&JHGBiguijuHGFHFGijgkfrpojknf5uyy&%798ij\;LLKKLF?l@~o{~l';U(*^&%uyfgj:@980hooH&*TgHUHK Jones.
18 posts

Posted:
Hey swirlygirl, other people will probably be able to show you oloads better vids because i'm just a noob myself so i'm gonna keep an eye on this thread too.

I think Glitter Girl is awesome, it always makes me feel really good that there are non supermodel types out there that can look SO aMAZING. I LOVE this vid, its not the sort of music i am into, but i just think she looks AWESOME!!

Heres my favourite one though, i love the way Nick Woolsey moves like a mime artist in it, it is so playful. I think it shows how the simplest and subtlest of things can make a poi trick look completely different and magical....it almost looks as if there are no strings attached *feels inspired and decides to go and practice*

Hope you liked them.

xx

Heal the world by introducing someone to flow..

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
*refrains from linking to the the "OkWorlds Best Poi Spinner" thread* smile

arent i a good boy!? grin

ps. bus!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Watch now, as we all catch the offtopic bus all the way to Van Diemansland.

Anyway, the thing about glitter girl's vid is that she is enjoying what she's doing very very much. Just remember to go wit da flow.

If you have studied dance at all, or other rhythmic movement, these things can be combined into a very graceful routine that will have jaws hitting the floor.

I also humbly suggest that one looks into the technical/moves part of the forum, because posting serious stuff in here always attracts the weirdies, myself included.

So anyone seen Glass?

[/seriousity sandwich]

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - large props (?) to Pistache, also Maelle, though I don't know of any recent dancey poi videos of hers around at the moment - RoMaRo wasn't that dancey and My Funny Valentine's quite old...

I find GlitterGirl a little too clubby/staccatto to my tastes, but as FP said, it's done with fun and conviction which counts for a lot.

Oh yeah, who was that really hot guy who won CoL this year? I hear he mixes dance and poi well wink

*Fetches Ego-Sandwich from fridge and chows down*
tongue2

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: =Flashpoint=
So anyone seen Glass?

he may hate me for doing that but yah, I've seen him recently when I found this very oldskoolish vidyo grin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Aye.
That is old skool.

smile

have you seen Rubbish too? grin

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
sure, I've seen them all smile
(I'm a poi geek)

swirlygrrlSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
I don't have time to check all of these out at the moment, but I'm really excited to look at when I get home. I did see the Pistache and the Nick vid. Both are amazing. I'd never heard of Pistache before. Thanks for the link! This is definitely the sort of way I'd like to learn to move with it, but with my own style.

(I'd also like to be able to use it with my bellydancing. I was going to buy the Voi DVD to see if I could pick up any ideas there, but they seem to have stopped making it. Does anyone know if there is another veil poi for bellydancers DVD out there? Or youtube vids that are particularly impressive?)

I've seen the GG clip before. I admire her skill. She has a very unique style. That's not so much the direction that I want to go in, but I enjoy watching her.

Flashpoint: I wasn't really sure where to put this, but I don't mind weirdos, being one myself. wink

Durbs: I can't wait to check out your performance! Congratulations. That must feel insane!

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
Check out Fire Gypsy on youtube if you want to look at mixing bellydancing with poi. I think she's pretty amazing. Good luck!

"When we dance with the faeries, we dance with the reflections of our true selves and the true inner self of the world."

"If you keep thinking like that, you'll never get to meet a Unicorn."

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
I knew I'd find this somewhere:

Don't know who the guy that uploaded it is though?!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
That's Fluffy Napalm Fairy and Oli I believe...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Yes, but who's the (to me) mystery guy that uploaded their video to YouTube???