Forums > Help! > Buying Poi in Portsmouth? (UK)

Login/Join to Participate

JitarooUnlogically Logical
2 posts

Posted:
Anyone know any good stores around the Portsmouth'y area that sell Practice Poi? (Or Poi that at least suits beginners?)
New to this, self teaching, don't want to use a pair of Knee-High Socks and Tennis Balls for too long. 8] Since the socks stretch out and actually exceed the length I'm comfortable with and I have to keep folding it around my hand. Can't order online. 8[

(Or at least recommend a pair of good non-stretchy socks.)

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Or you could like, just tie new knots. =P

Risen from the Ashes
The Phoenix shall rise in his royal flaire.
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Toe socks are usually the right level of stretch.

I'd use heavier weights than tennis balls, too... I use 3/4 of a cup of rice in a balloon... weighs 150g.

hug

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'd echo not using tennis balls - not a great weight and hurt more than you'd think.
If you want the cheapy option - rugby/football sport socks are better than the knee-high stretchy ones. Less stretch, better length, just less pretty smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
For some reason socks with sparkley crap on them are less stretchy, I guess so the sparkles don't fall off as easily. (But don't worry, they will.)

If you want something prettier.

hug

JitarooUnlogically Logical
2 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the suggestions on weights. 83 Tennis balls don't hurt me that much though, but I'll try out the rice and balloon thing.

Thanks also for the type of socks I could try. lol

@Spanner - I knew there was some type of shop down Albert Road that would sell such stuff. Thanks for the heads up. I'll try it tomorrow. 8]