RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I was fire spinning for a friend one day, and he's one of those crazy Punk Rock/Metal guys.

He says to me "Man, you should invent a move and call it BALLS OF ICE after that song!!"

and I was like... WOAH! Because it's a crazy name, after a crazy song, and then I started really thinking... what would the move consist of and what would it look like to be worthy of a crazy name like Balls of Ice?? Or does such a move already exist with the same name??

That my friends is the question I ask you.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
There was a "Balls of Fire" move, AKA The 9 Beat Testicle Wrap (You can try a search for it) but not sure about ice...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I suppose balls of ice would be in reference to not burnin ur balls with the fire poi I assume. lol

flokiGOLD Member
183 posts

Posted:
balls of ice ... blue flame ? liquid still coming out of the poi ? is it possible to do poi with the material you need for the "fog-machines" (i have already heard these things work either on liquids or on some (non-liquid) material ... ice ?) ? ... or perhaps just doing poi, dressed as a snow-man ...

you opened a topic i´d say ... have to think about this one ... tell you more ...

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
hey...... that could work! Let's see... Some methonal for blue flames, and some "dry Ice" for icy fog that'd come off of the balls.

Dry Ice is frozen C02. And when dipped in water it makes a cool fog effect... Maybe Blue beamers, or glowsticks would work too, maybe even better.

of course good luck on getting dry ice... I know it's probably hard to get, and even harder to make.

any more awesome ideas???

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Dip ur poin in ice... do sum fancy wierd patterns or summat... sculpt it... make sure it is sturdy enuf for spinnin tho. lol

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I did a search on smoking poi, or using dry ice... could be doable, but smoke might not be so hot with everyone, and getting the dry ice to be wet would be difficult

I dunno, I'm thinking for the move to be called "balls of Ice", it would have to invovle doing something to flaming poi with ice...

I got another crazy idea of dunking the poi in kero, then putting a layer of potasium pernaginate on top... then in the winter I can spin the poi cold, hit a snow bank, keep going... and the chemicals should light the poi in mid flight... at least in theory (maybe I'm just on crack)

or maybe I could have ice covered poi, and puposely smash them together in a butterfly. creating shards of ice or something

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I think you should abandon the idea.

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
hm, blue flames sound good, so does CO2, but I don't think u could have the 2 together or the 'fog' (CO2) would smother the flames, (i'm thinking CO2 fire extinguisher)

u could always go for something that looks like ice, maybe mini disco-balls (yay! cheese!) or clear acrylic ones with spikes like icicles (only for the really brave, beaming poi type people though, i guess, lest 'balls of ice' become 'balls of puncture wounds' !!!

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
well some interesting ideas anyway... I should have put this thread in the technical disscusion area.

I think I'll just spin to the damn song, cause it's F***ing awesome.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Canadian guy in theory since u drop potassium n water and it ignites, it burns pink dunno about a compound tho.. cud be dangerous... dont ever light potassium tho.. will go boom.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Dry ice is actually quite easy to make; get a CO2 fire extinguisher and let it off in a confined, porous space, I used the knotted arm of a lab coat over the nozzle, dry ice forms in the sleeve.

Has anyone else ever stuck their hand in a vat of liquid nitrogen? feels weird doesn't it?

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.