Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > 3D poi spinning with photos (arms does not bend that way)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Hey Olive where are you hug

I started to play around with your 3D idea and what you told me in the "arms don´t bend that way" workshop and this is one of many photos, it´s wicked sweet to be able to play with two long arm/extended patterns in one single photo and not only one long arm pattern on each photo.

I only got one photo uploaded but more is coming and please try this out and publish links to your 3D spinning photos here, I want to see everyone´s ideas, please ubbangel

https://www.nevisoul.com/nevisoul/LED1.html
(first photo is the only 3D photo I have uploaded so far, it´s a five pedal antispin in each plane, I missed the timing and went out of plane in the bottom pedal thoughmad)

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey thomas!

hadnt even thought of playing with the different photo opportunities of these flowers.. thats a great idea!

have been playing with olives fancy flowers too.. theyre quite fun

will let you know when ive got some photos kicking about..

thanks, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
It´s F*CKING brilliant, it´s twice as much fun (you got two extended patterns to play with in the photo, not only one)

Yes, please, play some with these and take some photos tongue2

Thank you Pete and hope to see you around soon again!

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
Hey Thomas, Petey smile
Glad to know you guys have started working on that !

Unfortunately, Thomas, I have no material to show about these 3D flowers (no pictures, no videos frown ) .. I just have a workshop in my head, and a couple of drawings w/o text

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
It´s all in your head, is that what you are saying, may I have a bite tongue2

The possibilities are endless, combinations of the two hands and what they separately can do together in a photo that shows two wheelplanes but in wallplane, WICKED! tongue2

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmm, with all that said.. i dont have glopoi at the moment.. but ill do what i can smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Pete, I'm sure you'll stumble across some glow poi at CG. I'll have two sets there myself. smile

hug

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
right.. ill take you up on that.. if i remember.. i *will* be jetlagged

hmm.. i hadnt really thought about that.. maybe i should consider teaching some of these over the weekend at common ground.. try and spread the multi-dimensional madness!

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Now that is sweet.

Is there any theory written up on this stuff somewhere?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Lol, pineapple pete, I assumed if you were going to be stealing my poi that I'd be stealing some tips on what the hell Thomas was talking about! grin

hug

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Aston: No I´m afraid not, the theory behind this is inside Olives head, he explained it for me and I´m just playing around with it.....

I would write a theory but it would be horrible to read and it wouldn´t make any sense at all, I am more of a practical spinner and have a hard time to explain in words and theories what I do and would like to do....frown

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
If I understand what I glean from petey I'll have a punt at putting it into words... but it'll be 'orrid.

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... Will have to play with it on my lonesome then. Any suggestions?

Just not really sure what you are doing, the basic premise behind it.

If I follow, it is basically a compound circle doen slightly off plane so that the petals are visible from the front and back as well as side?
EDITED_BY: aston (1222864547)

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
im more than happy to give a go at explaining it, if olive doesnt mind me essentially stealing his workshop idea and all..

will even stick up some pictures, and use capitals and grammar!

hows that sound?

hug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Excuse me..but i think I'm missing something here..

Notably, where does the term 3D come in here ?

I mean, since we're all spinning flattened cones , rather than true circles, isn't most of what we're spinning pretty much 3D anyway ? Toss in a little movement, and the whole art of spinning is pretty much 3D.

Being a veteran of smashing my head against my keyboard while reading all of Richee's threads, I can't help but suspect that this thread might result in similar confusion.

Thomas, when I went to your site to look at the photo you linked too and click on it expecting to see a larger version, I found I was redirected to another site. Today, I find that link is gone in the first three photos.

I got the feeling that I was being spammed shrug

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Usually when I spin in front of another persons eyes or in front of a camera lens I always create patterns that´s flat like wallplane or wheelplane and that´s for me is kinda 2D if I can say like that.....?

But with this kind of spinning you can create two separate longarm patterns but still catch both of them on a photo like you where playing them in wallplane which is impossible if you don´t make them shorter.

But this is what I think and the idea is originally from Olive, I just started to play with it the other day and really like the photos that camed out, that´s why I made this thread cos I would like to see more photos like this and different combinations of patterns.

Oh that was a lot of text grin

Stout: Sorry if you thought it was spamm but if you thought that it was spamm then you really missed out on something, flowtoys grin
All my pictures is affiliate links to flowtoys but these three new ones I uploaded I forgot to put the link in. Sorry for making you confused but check out www.flowtoys.com, if you are a poispinner I think you heard about them before?!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
OH I see what you're getting at ( I think ) the overlap in two longarm patterns done separately with long poi is what makes style of photography 3D..

Most of us are thinking 2D when we're spinning performance planes and hoping we're making circles instead of ovals, but the simple act of taking one poi into a btb plane would make those circles more 3D.....which is why I was curious as to whether this was some new spinning style.

Cheers.

PS, I'm well familiar with flowtoys. I don't buy them though because I have access to a wholesaler and I can put together a set comparable to their crystal poi set for less than six bucks. The only reason I was calling it spam, is because I was expecting a bigger photo..not advertisement.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Pineapple Pete: If Olive does not mind, would you please?

Also, could someone explain long-arm pattern as opposed to flower/compound circle please?

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
yeah man.. just gotta get olives approval.. im sure he wont mind.. but politeness is important and all.. conveniently enough, im leaving hong kong tonight, going straight to a festival, then straight to a friends place in the hills with no net connection, so i can write it up, im just not sure when ill get a chance to upload it smile

in this case, i think longarm patterns are just long arm flowers/compound circles, right?

hug

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonIf I follow, it is basically a compound circle doen slightly off plane so that the petals are visible from the front and back as well as side?
that's it .... but really out of plane

Petey> go ahead spread the knowledge ... that's what it's meant for

< insert text about long-arm circle and 3D flower theory ... + convert to pdf the drwaing file and stor it somewhere ...
really got to find the time for this .. maybe this afternoon
btw> anyone has some room on a server?? ... Thomas?>

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
No worries, I got plenty of space at my cyber crib grin

I would be an honor for me to store some of your knowledge in my room tongue2

//Thomas

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
are you talking about his website? If so, I need to keep a watch on that because I would love a more expansive picture on the subject. (especially with pictures)

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Olive: If you have some files that need to be hosted, I may be able to help as well.

And thanks for the permission for Pete to post stuff. Is this maybe discussed on Tribes somewhere?

Any suggestion on how out of plane "really out of plane" should be? I guess I will have to find a large window....

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
I would say that if you spin your poi so that you have a 90° angle in between the two planes of your poi.
The corner of this angle (the top of the cone) should point straight towards the camera or the person watching.

You get what I mean, if not I´m happy to do a simple painting.
This is my idea and how I work with it, if I´m not mistaken Olive got another explanation or if it´s the same in the end confused2

I´m so happy grin

//Thomas

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Oh..I get it now.

We're talking planes at 45 degrees...between wheel and wall plane and with poi too long to make those extensions impossible in wall plane only.

Yep...that would be 3D as opposed to the regular flat planes ( proscenium ) idea that we all know and love.

cheers.

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
YES! In wallplane you are very limited if you want to do 2 separate patterns, you need to have very short poi while if you play like this you can do full arm extensions and get full length flowers and mix two full extended patterns.

Whoa, brain overload, to much ideas tongue2

I love my life grin

//Thomas

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Wait.. wait..

I get it but it will take some damn time to figure out the possibilities. Oh well, I will try to see if I can catch any photos on a photo shoot sometime soon...
EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1223319245)

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
*click*

Will play with it when I get the chance to breath....

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Ok, the files is up, free to download by anyone and a big thanks to Olive, you truly are a poi geek (that´s a good thing) wink

https://www.nevisoul.com/3D.zip

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
N > 'Dual circle horizontal intercept'

I think the front & the side view, shoud more look like a circle,
to get final, isometric(3D) ellipse illusion.

About the inside and outside, I think, tie the pictures together.

It's reel,

:R

hug

POI THEO(R)IST

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Thanks Thomas.

Will attempt to provide feedback too. smile