Forums > Help! > Fire Fans - Beginner Help

Login/Join to Participate

Visarastranger
3 posts

Posted:
I have recently taken great interest in Fire Fans. I am looking for a durable set (so i wont mangle them on my first few hours of fun!) that will last me a while. My direction is to incorporate fast moves with the slower. Can anyone point me in a good direction so I can get myself started? I really like the 5 point fans with the 4in wick for a longer burn but I wasn't sure if they would suit my needs.
Thank you for your help! grin

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Hi Visara,

Firstly, welcome to HomeofPoi!

I have used the fans from HomeofPoi for over two years now and they have been found to be very durable. The four inch wick alternatives to the 5-point fans were not in circulation when I started fans and I have yet to try them, however they use the same powder-coated frame and will be just as durable as any of the other fans HoP produces, albeit slightly heavier.

I have written various tutorials on performing basic moves as well as selecting your fans and where to draw inspiration from if you do not have a dance or martial arts background smile

You may find these tutorials here.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to reply or PM me. Happy spinning! hug

Brenn.

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Hi Visara, i've extended the wicking on my hop set and now they're a central part of my shows.

will the 4" wicks be your first fire fan set? my wicks are only 3 inches and already it is a very dangerous amount of fire to throw.
the extra weight compared to standard HoP fans is very noticable. A 3-5 minute fan set for me is as exhausting as a fire sword set - both toys have the same amount of wicking and heavy torque.

3" wicking, looks like this:

Non-Https Image Link

in terms of value for money and solid construction, I couldn't look past the Hop set. i encourage you to seek out anyone in your local area to try a set out first to see if it's your thing.
b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Visarastranger
3 posts

Posted:
Thank you both very much!
These fans will be my first set, i have dabbled into fire poi in the past but they were my brothers and i didn't get too far. Unfortunately i don't know anyone in my area that have fire fans for me to try frown
If I decided to change the wick length myself is it something easy to do? and where can i find instructions?

6,978 posts

Posted:
The wear behaviour of the wicking is that the tube-core configuration frays at the tips first and eventually loosens. Depending on how much you drop the fans, loose enough wicks will eventually travel back toward the handles. The wicks will need to be replaced or repaired when this happens - the metal structure under each wick is in a bent tip, providing a hook for you to strongly stitch another roll of 2"/4" wicking.

Again, be conscious of saftey when considering the amount of wicking on fire fans - it's a lot of fire very close to your hands.

b

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
All you need to be able to do for replacing the wick is to be able to roll and sew. When you get the replacement wick, get a roll (or length) of Kevlar sewing thread and a curved sewing needle too. Make sure the threads/stitches are pulled tight so they disappear into the wick.
ubbrollsmile

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Visarastranger
3 posts

Posted:
Thank you all very much for your input! I think I will use the 2in. wick fans and up-grade from there after some practice! grin

6,978 posts

Posted:
Visara, i applaud your choice - I can't responsibly recommend 4" Wicks on a first fire fan set. I perform behind-the-head catches in the wall plane (u see it in the "Sandstone Shadow" entry in COL 2007) as part of my show and It would an intense amount of fire to have 'round the noggin! Basically around the same volume of wick as 4" doubles with much more surface area (hence flame size) wuith much less distance to your hands!

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Visara - Have to echo Bender on this and agree with your choice of the 2" for your first choice. Expect to tire quite quickly with the fans initially but the more you work with them the stronger your arms will get hug

Best of luck! grin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy