Forums > Technical Discussion > Yoho Equipment, MEGA CHEAP!!! But good?

Login/Join to Participate

StGingernewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I was wondering if anyone out there had any equipment by Yoho? Particularly the staffs, cos I want to know if you can REALLY get an LED staff for £9.99?

Does anyone else have this staff (or 'wand' as Yoho call it) and is it any good? or for that matter, does anyone have anything else by Yoho that was any good?

StGingernewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I've been looking all over for a cheap glow staff, and couldn't find one for less than about £20-25.
But suddenly I discovered Yoho!
They're a company who do cheap, mostly low quality equipment like poi, balls, diabolos etc.
But my brother got a pair of their glow poi for his birthday, and apart from being a bit light for my liking, they were pretty damn good. And when I looked them up, they were £9.99 from Hawkins!
I looked on Firetoys and oddballs, and virtually identical poi are on there for £19.95!
I had a look at their other stuff, and it all seemed like buget versions of high end stuff, if a little cheap and tacky!
Heres a link to the site, which has got videos for each of their products and descriptions. https://www.yoho.com.au/
For some reason, there's no prices on there, so look on Amazon for the product to find the price.

Have a look at the link, tell me what you think of the equipment.
I really don't know what to think about this stuff. Is it too kidish and tacky? Or is it super buget equipment?

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
The staff are ok for mucking around but they really aren’t that good because they are quite light at the ends and heavy in the middle which is a little bit annoying also they break quite easily.

The poi use to break really easily but it looks like they may have updated the design to one that is a little sturdier though and it looks like they might be easier to fix if they do break then the old ones.

All in all the poi are pretty good for what they cost but the staffs are pretty rubbish.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I've used their strobing glow poi... they broke within a few weeks... loose connections and that kind of thing, after cracking them open and repairing them twice I pretty much gave up..

I bought these about 1 year ago, so they might've upgraded them a bit...

I'd still be wary of buying them, but here I am, scarred by my previous nightmare encounter with yoho so I might be a little biased, once burned twice shy and all that.

If you've got some skills with electronics you could have a go at fashioning your own for fairly cheaply, some LEDs in bubblewrap in a polycarb tubing could work. :P But I'm sure that some sort of thought process that goes on for longer than 20 seconds could do a better job. (I personally didnt buy glow toys again til I got my flowpoi duos, my fire poi were good enough for light based poi'ing til I got them.)

StGinger, mind reporting back on how those glowpoi go after a while, especially if theres breakage or similar? If they turn out to be any good I might grab a pair for a friend or girlfriend for Christmas or birthdays if they survive. ^_^

hug

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
That's the way, get the cheap ones for gifts, and wait to see if they last before getting some for yourself... rolleyes

Brilliant! smile
EDITED_BY: Charles (1218586500)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I had a pair of their glowpoi, and I think they might have lasted a bit longer if I didn't let beginners use them. I can also categorically state that they are not waterproof and will go wrong in heavy rain.

The staffs look really pretty, and I like the basic idea behind the design, but they are way too breakable (they REALLY don't stand up to drops on hard surfaces) and prone to loose connections: I think I reviewed them on the glowstaff FAQ thread.

overall my experience is that their glow toys aren't very durable

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hahaha, Charles, actually, its even worse than that, I'm letting someone else have them as gifts and then I'm not even going to buy them as gifts for people I know until I'm convinced they stand up to the test!

I have flowtoys for my own personal entertainment.

But this is the life of a student!

LazyAngels post has reminded me... when my Yohos were breaking it wasnt even due to hits... I actually didnt hit myself with them at all until they started to go wrong... I assume they got damaged in my bag knocking against my other gear as I walked or ran or whatever... then the force of spinning them around would make them flicker on and off, giving them a little bit of a tap would make them come back on sometimes, after getting in there and soldering loose connections the issues just changed mildly after that, all of the connections came loose through normal use.

But I think my story is extreme and isolated.

hug

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I have had two pairs of Yoho Poi.

First pair I loved (this was before the strobe) though after around 6 months sometimes a knock would turn them off and a good knock would be needed to get them going again.
Then the little white bit of string holding the poi to the end of the handle string broke, but I found out they knew this and were providing replacement attachy things in the store.
Now, instead of it being attached by a little white rope through the holes, there were two screws going into the poi head.
I still have them, still work though they still have the bumping problem.

My new poi are the strobing ones and I haven't had any problems with them. Have had them around 6 months, but not using them very regularly.

the only problem I find is that the white surface gets very very dirty when they are put with all my fire gear. smile I should clean them.

I have heard from others that the staffs break easily if you drop them. (re-enforcing people's views).

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Natasi, there is a little trick to stop the bump turning off proble. Just get a small washer and wedge it between two of the batterys so that they are firmer in the battery case.

But yes it looks like they have gone through a few designs with the poi and the new ones are pretty good and whole lot better than the first generation.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Natasi, there is a little trick to stop the bump turning off proble. Just get a small washer and wedge it between two of the batterys so that they are firmer in the battery case.

But yes it looks like they have gone through a few designs with the poi and the new ones are pretty good and whole lot better than the first generation.

Oh yeah and i have found the secret to cleaning them is use some gumption or spary and wipe, they are great for getting the black marks off.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
here's the thread i was thinking of:

[Old link]

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Thanks ElectricBlue!

StGingernewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys! Thats pretty much answered my questions: Good for mucking about, but not serious at all. An update on my brothers Poi... they broke! Ho Hum. The string snapped. But since the balls still work and its got a relatively decent pair of finger handels, we're gonna make him some decent strings and fix it up better than before. (and he had the problem with flickering. so thanks a lot LazyAngel for that tip!)
Cheers for all the input.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
 Written by :StGinger

(and he had the problem with flickering. so thanks a lot LazyAngel for that tip!)

should read

Written by :StGinger

(and he had the problem with flickering. so thanks a lot ElectricBlue for that tip!)

wink

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... replace the strings with colecord and I wonder how they'd go?

hug

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
The unfortunatly the main diffuclty with the YoHo poi is not so much the main cord, though it still isn't the best. It is the thinner cord and the method of attachment to the ball and to the bigger string. So it is a little difficult to fix, Though a nice white pair of sock poi look great with them inside.