Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > Quarter-timing fun and games

Login/Join to Participate

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Hey guys,

I've been playing around with a bunch of new (to me) concepts and one of the things that I absolutely love is the quarter-time isolated buzzsaw. Done well (I used socks), it looks like a rotating cross, or a + sign... Once I get my quarter-time powers under control I want to start fiddling around with other neat alternate-timey things. Anybody have any pointers, or cool things they've worked out in quarter-time? Seems like it'd be a good way to mix things up a bit, anyway.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

CyrilleSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
Hi Mucky!

Another cool thing is to have just one poi in semi isolation and the other poi rotating in same direction in normal spin with the hand at the same place of the isolated point. With that, you will have a "T" rotating.

If you can have now a total isolation, you will have another form rotating. (ouch!)

Ther are also a lot of double stalls to work in 1/4 time (in hand to hand, poi to hand or poi to poi).

Cyrille

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
one way to think about cleaning up your quarter time i to change the way you count the timing of your beats.

If we count our beats in 'bars' of four (hurrah Music theory) we usually spin on the 1 and the 3, or the 2 and the 4. This looks in my head like 'beat, 000, beat, 000'. but if we change this counting to the first and second beat of the four we're counting, we end up with perfect quarter time spinning: 'Beat, beat, 000, 000'.

If my description doesn't make sense (And it likely won't ubblol ) hopefully some helpful drummer will come along and explain it in better terms that mioght be easier to understand.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Replace the 000 with rest & that's basically bang on.

Also good (kinda OT) is spinning on every 3rd beat constantly, it matches up every 3 bars (3 bars of 4 is 12 beats & so is 4 repetitions of 3). I use it when I can't go fast/slow enough for the music.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Could anyone help me out by telling me exactly what a 1/4 time stall (One horizontal and one vertical for example) thats come out of even time is classified as and how that relates to quarter time spinning?

hug

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Cyrille - I've played with the T version.... By "total" isolation, what do you mean? Isolating the head? I'm still working on being able to do that......

LTC and Geoff - thanks, I've got the timing down decently (it slips back into split time if I'm not diligent, but that just takes practice)!

I've always considered stalls to be classed outside of "normal" poi timing, because there is a huge variety of speeds and changes that are possible. Obviously timing principles apply, but I've always used stalls as a seamless shift between timings.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I had similar ideas, Mucky, but I've been having a bit of trouble getting into quarter time, 1/4 stalls are fine. Guess I better get back and practice... but its too cold when the sun isnt out! Come on summer!!!

hug

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
hey,

I just played around with quarter time recently and I found a rather easy yet beautiful move to play in quarter time:

it's the buzzsaw fountain antispin in quarter time. very nice to watch. just takes heaps of time to get the timing clean.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
in the church of poi video (search 'church of poi' in youtube) that brett and i made recently, towards the end of the video he does a wicked 1/4 time full waistwrap.. i highly reccomend checking that out smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
Some more fun ideas with Quarter time:
1/4 time opposite directions (butterfly). Poi heads meet at an angle off the circle, rather than at the top (same time) or at the side (split time). From the basic pattern with 2 poi, linear extensions and linear isolations are obvious next steps. A lot of the 1/4 time "box stalls" come from this timing. Often the hands-together stalls will be a corner opening to the outside (from your body's center of mass), and the poi-heads-together stall make a corner inwards, like a piece of a square that contains your torso.

Next, quarter-time of the arms with any poi timing. We know it as the "chase" feeling involved with the weave, windmill, corkscrew, etc. All of those patterns are split-time same-direction, though. What about other timings and directions? Use the Quarter-time-arms (I'd actually describe it as a phase offset of the cycles of each hand) on other timings of poi. Alien Jon is exploring this idea through offest stall combos, and offset Continuous Assembly Patterns.