Forums > Technical Discussion > Rubber allergy and rubber poi - any ideas?

Login/Join to Participate

VelvetBatnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
I recently came across the Stardass poi, a fibre optic glow poi. I really like this one, but it turns out to have a rubber protection ball. And I have a rubber/latex allergy, which means I can not touch any rubber or latex unless I wear gloves or such.

But I really want to buy this poi. I love the optic fiber thingy.
So I spoke to a Dutch seller of this poi and asked for some idea's. She said I could remove the rubber ball, but it wouldn't be protecting the poi then. So she wouldn't recommend that. Or I could make a fabric thing to cover it.

So I was wondering, does anyone of you have any other ideas I could also consider?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
possibly dip in a varnish? just take the covers off first and let dry before putting them back on.

syran wrap

leather body suit.
EDITED_BY: Poje (1208885505)

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

VelvetBatnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your idea's!
I am afriad the body suit and varnish dip aren't going to work (because the suit leaves my face unprotected and with the varnish the ball will not be able to get off the poi (for removing the batteries) because it isn't strechy anymore).

But I will think about the wrap. Thanks again!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
What do you mean?

Non-Https Image Link

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

VelvetBatnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Lol, I actually expected such thing coming up. tongue

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
I haven't worked much with varnish, but a similar thought would be to track down acrylic resin from a craft store, something like this

https://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.aspx...40&Search=Y

It's really easy to use, you mix equal parts, put it on whatever you have, and it hardens into solid clear plastic. I don't know how durable it is on something that is liable to hit stuff (which is why it's got the rubber in the first place), but it would certainly seal off the rubber. Maybe it's worth trying with something similar but less expensive, dip it and hang it somewhere to dry.

I guess you'd have to do something to make sure it doesn't get into any removable bits, switches or something. In that case, I'd go with the saran wrap, a bit of tape.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Cool idea but i recken if you put a stiff varnish or resin on some thing that is squishy on the inside then it will crack. Like if you squash a toffy apple, the toffy goes all crackly.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
oh yeah to add to that i think the saran wrap is a great idea. Beacuse if it goes yucky it is cheep and easy to replace.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

VelvetBatnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the idea's.
I decided not to buy the stardass poi because of the rubber problem. When using varnish on the rubber ball, it would not be able anymore to be removed (when replacing batteries and such). Saran wrap would be an option, but I am afraid it doesn't look very nice.

So I decided to either buy or make some fabric poi and put a small glowing ball inside. The glowing balls I have seen also contain a rubber ball, but because those are placed inside the fabric poi, I could easily use saran wrap, or gloves when touching them. Then I don't need to be afraid when the poi hits my skin while spinning.

So thank you very much everyone smile