Forums > Social Chat > in desperate need of dread help!

Login/Join to Participate

dreadynicolenewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hey all!

I am new here but came because I thought I can get some advice for my dreadlocks...

I have had them for about 6 years - they are soooo long, almost to my ass in some spots. i did them all naturally - just knotted by hand and that's it!

BUT, now, they are really really filled with residue! i have been using regular shampoo every day for 6 years. now, even after i wash them, they look greasy on top and they feel really weighed down and i hate it! i want them to be soft and fluffy again!!

can anyone help me?!?!?!
i have found a receipe on line that you can make and soak your hair in that supposedly is a deep cleanser, but dont know if it works for sure.

if you have ANY advice whatsoever, i would be eternally grateful!!!

my e-mail address is nicolelboyer@Yahoo.com

THANK YOU!!!! smile

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
ok, I have long dreads and don't wash them everyday, but do wash them...

what is this residue you speak of?

are you drying your hair fully after washing? I know with my long thick dreads it can take all day to dry them naturally, and I still need time under the hair dryer at the end of the day...are you sure they are in fact dry?

ARe you using conditioner? I use that after washing mine and they are pretty fluffy at times...

shrug

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I had dreads for 3 years and my problem were that they were too fluffy!!

I hope your dreads will sort out for you. It's really important that they are completely dry after washing, as Ade said. smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
mm..mouldy dreads are not a good thing!

i was told by a friend when i first got mine not to wash with regular shampoo, or anything that would leave a residue, basically anything that smelled was going to leave something behind to make it stay smelling good..i got dread shampoo from dreadhead which is pretty expensive but not going to leave anything behind. Maybe try using some of that and make sure u rinse em out REALLY REALLY good. it takes ages but its worth it. Also is the mixture you're talking about the one with the lemon juice bucarbonate of soda and teatree and another couple things? it works pretty well too i think. good luck! smile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
For convenience: https://www.dreadheadhq.com/

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I dunno where you're from, or if you can get it outside of oz, but I use "redwin tea tree" shampoo on my dreads. it's residue free and is, in fact, designed to help remove residue build-up from regular hair products.

link to redwin tea tree shampoo on an aussie online pharmacy website

and it smells like tea tree, which is pretty wikkid all by itself. oh...!! and it's DIRT CHEAP...!!! cos that dreadhead stuff, which, while pretty good (leaves your hair REALLY dry and squeaky clean, good for knotting up), is pretty expensive...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
you can get it sent out of Oz, just checked, but its gonna cost $30 to get it delivered to uk.... frown sounds pretty good as well.

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile