Forums > Social Discussion > the danger of beamer poi...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
firestartedGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
tonight was a pretty crazy night...

My name's Ken, I live in Dublin (Ireland) and I had a firespinning gig set up with my mates at a club called Pravda. smile

We were spinning for an hour, one friend playing a djembe while my friend and I took turns spinning with poi and staff. Everything was sweet, everyone was impressed, the club was packed as we had attracted so many people on the street. Great night...

Until, I go inside. I had purchased a set of the jailhouse foxy sock poi (an absolute pleasure to spin with biggrin, takes a while to get used to the way they stretch though, but sexy all the same) and a set of beamers ( eek).

I love Home of Poi, I placed an order on Thursday and received my poi the following Tuesday, from around the world, The tutorials rock, the forum, the whole ethos of the site(/community). It all rocks, so don't take me up the wrong way. I personaly think Beamers were spawned by Satan.

One of them cracked during an airwrap, I thought, hey, okay I was a bit rough with them, who cares, it still works although the light was really dim, no biggie.

So after the fireshow, I agreed to spin with the beamers inside on stage for a while.

I'm on a stage and everything was going great, I was pulling off every trick I was trying, I was 'in the flow'. All until this jackass that was blind drunk is falling towards the stage as I'm doing a corkscrew. I pull back so as to avoid smacking him in the head with the beamer...

And break by two front teeth. eek

Now it was very painful for about ten minutes but it was mainly the embarressment that got to me redface. I have the parts of my teeth and will pray to God that my medical card will cover getting them fixed. confused

I laughed it off after I had calmed down and still managed to have a great night, but seriously guys, watch out with the beamers. I had given myself a few little bruises with them, no real hassle, there is a big red warning on the product page, and it was an exception circumstance. But just for God's sake be careful :P

*I'll post a picture of the teeth for the craic when my mate takes it from his camera... I've got pirate chic {^_^} !*

This has nothing to do with HoP really, it's not that their product is bad, they do point out they're for experienced spinners, I just thought I'd share my experience.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Gotta watch out for those beamers. That's why they got that name...

Hope you have a good dentist.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ditto

This could happen to experienced spinners just alike...

Hope you (get) re/cover(ed)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

firestartedGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
as i can't sleep I was just messing around running my tounge along them, so I think "why not make sure the pieces all fit"

So i put the two large pieces back onto the teeth and they fit perfectly, and also my saliva is holding them in place. So it shouldn't be too big a deal for the dentist to just like... glue 'em on or something.

This is actualy quite funny {^_^}

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm no dentist, but I'm a doctor. I would say you should put them in cold milk and go to an emergency room...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well...let's see...I've seen black eyes, a cracked shin, three broken noses, one nut shot that rendered the poor dude unable to walk for, well, a looooooooooooooong while.
Then there was the 7 stitches to the head, the chipped kneecap....

Yeah, this is another to add to the beamer list!

Thanks! wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

three broken noses

Is one of those mine babe?...

I rocked my nose once in Gatecrasher... back in must have been 2002 now. I would never have performed with them! no way!!!, i wouldn't use them in a club either!.

One question!.

How did you manage to crack one doing an airwrap? or attempted airwrap wink..?

Erm as for your front teeth, i hope that you got full pieces!, its really simple to get them rebuilt, i got half a front tooth... i used to have 2 half front teeth that i broke when i was a child... i eventually broke them again this time taking one of them out from the root and just took the cap off the other... Thats just a gap these days... i couldnt afford to replace my plate when it snapped. frown maybe i'd have ungapless teeth these days.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I've chipped both my front teeth before, yeah they just stick 'em back on... one of mine I didn't have the bit that chipped but they still rebuilt the tooth using enamel. They do tend to chip again though (the enamel one anyway) if I bite anything hard in a certain way. Popcorn seeds are best avoided. You'll be fine though!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
in 12 years... i have never chipped the enamel cap on mine.. i think that they are quite strong... only thing, they discolour differently to natural teeth.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Really? Mine came off twice... but thinking about it they haven't come off again for a few years and last time I got them re-done by a different dentist, so maybe it was a case of substandard dentistry!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
maybe so... damn dentists! some are only interested in £££ ching ching!.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Nope, PK, yours wasn't the noses I was thinking of.

Oi!

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Tennis balls hurt just as bad as beamers.

Remember the Kato getting hit in the knackers video?.

So yay for 4!!! broken noses.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You forgot the ah..ah...ah.. to sound like count on Sesame Street when he announces a #

I don't remember that. But I do remember LN bashing xestrel in the face with her tennis ball poi. She was on his shoulders at the time so if she was on the ground, it would have been a crotch shot. That was hysterical. Someone, somewhere caught it on video too! lol

No breaks there. I've *never* had a break from tennie poi, just bruises. Which still leaves beamers, in my eyes, as the kings of destruction.

Hell, after I borrowed Christians beamers I gave 'em back and never touched them again. I don't think it should say for experienced spinners, I think it should say for masochists.

Pele

firestartedGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
my parents are talking about springing for a trip to somewhere in Eastern Europe, maybe Poland or Hungary to get my teeth fixed.

It'll cost 2,000 euro to get them crowned here, or 500 euro or less in Eastern Europe, then 150 for flights, it'll still cost less than a grand. biggrin

Broken teeth + considerate parents = Free holiday and face fixing!! yay wink biggrin biggrin biggrin

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

That's a lie.

I would use stronger words but I'd get banned. wink

Lies.

If you want, I'd challenge you to a "thwap me in the head with a tennis ball, thwap you in the head with a beamer" competition but I'm so sure I'd win that I wouldn't be able to actually do it. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
depends what your hitting NYC wink

decemberscalmSILVER Member
49 posts

Posted:
I've had my beamers for a week or so. So far no injury while spinning at really high speed because I'm very good at softening the blow. Keep beamers out of clubs O.O use em when you've got a bunch of people chilling out and watching and no fellow spinners to bump into.

On a side note, every notice how if people have a choice of walking past either a raver or a stringer, it'll always be the stringer. I think people are subonciously masochist.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
 Written by: decemberscalm

I've had my beamers for a week or so. So far no injury while spinning at really high speed because I'm very good at softening the blow.

Ahh, just give it time, the arrogance of the as-of-yet uninjured wink

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

49 posts

Posted:
Oh you know I'm so waiting for it to ^,^;.

Every time someone borrows mine I feel like I should be making them sign a waiver or libaility agreement.

On a side note, does bubble wrap actually help?

organic_poiSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
Putting them in milk is a GOOD idea! I would have done that right away.

49 posts

Posted:
Milk?? What for O.O?

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I used mine for a couple of months but they were my only set of poi so during practice I took some bad knocks - Shins, the occasional elbow during a wrap and once my temple (somehow).

Biggest problem I have is they break quite easily if they hit each other, I do a lot of butterfly moves so it does happen sometimes, and now only 1 LED works sporadically on each ball.

I've tried to take them apart to fix em but the screws in them have square heads (?) so I'll have to find a suitable screwdriver somewhere. In the meantime I made some practice poi & ordered some rainbow glow poi for spinning near people.

I did like the weight & the look of them though, when they worked, if only they weren't quite so rigid.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Written by: PK_

If you want, I'd challenge you to a "thwap me in the head with a tennis ball, thwap you in the head with a beamer" competition but I'm so sure I'd win that I wouldn't be able to actually do it. ubbangel

I'll take you up on that challenge, but i get to use the tennis balls that my meteors have.....50 pennies in each biggrin

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

ferrousBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
i have a silly question. what's a beamer? i looked at a couple of other threads that mentioned them, but there were links to various types of glowy/shiny things, so i'm still not sure.

when i grow up, i want to be a circus freak.

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
THESE are beamer poi. They're scary, and they hurt.

But not as much as THESE I suspect... eek

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

ferrousBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sambo_Flux

ahh, i see. i did a search on hop for 'beamer'. should have looked for 'beaming'. heh. thanks for the link.

omg! those things are *huge!!* i guess they show the pic of a person holding them for good reason, so people know how incredibly large they are. wow!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
as far as i know a beamer is a nickname for a BMW, so according to PK they must throw tennis balls pretty damn hard around where he lives ubblol

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:

Hmmm, I think I'd prefer to be hit with the Gorilla fist than the Beaming Ball actually - unless of course the gorilla fist was lit ubblol (hmmm, but even then....)

The Beaming ball is responsible for at least one week long stuck-in-a-hospital-in-a-coma that we know of...
eek

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

ferrousBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
 Written by: georgemc

The Beaming ball is responsible for at least one week long stuck-in-a-hospital-in-a-coma that we know of...
eek

you are kidding, right? eek

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Holy [censored] those things are [censored] lethal.... yeah ill stick with the poi I have now and pass on those!

Page: