Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Hokay so, I kinda was thinkin it would be cool to attach maybe like, yard to yard and a half long satin ribbons to my poi to make a wierd little hybred of a rythmic gymnastics ribbon and poi. It seems simple enough, safety pin the ribbons to the poi and start spinning. In theory it could also mebbe be a cool training tool along with something flashy and daylight friendly.

Has anybody tried this or can anybody advise me if one of my ideas has yet again turned out stupid? weavesmiley

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
sounds good to me. i have some poi with ribbons on and they are the best biggrin

if i could be a busy busy bee...

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
Ribbon poi have been around for some time and work nicely. The only thing to remember is that there are some limitations to what you can do with that ribbon hanging off it. Not a LOT of limitations, but some.

I'd HIGHLY recommend something better than a safety pin as you will probably end up ripping your poi from all the drag and wiggle the ribbon will cause. Sewing them on is the best best.

Depending on what kind of poi you are gonna be using you may also need to consider where you attach the ribbon or if you even want those kind of poi in the first place. For example if you have full on sock poi then the ribbon MAY become cumbersome and cause problems as the sock may twist the ribbon up around it as you spin. Ideally you should have string corded poi of some kind with a swivel link so the ribbon trail can stay behind the poi and not twist around.

Also, unless you are the handy type you may want to just buy some ribbon poi. You can find many good ones around online.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
bah, imbalance, I say, bah

go ahead make your ribbon poi...half the fun is the unique poi you end up creating in this crazy adventure we call spinning

there are tailed poi out there and if you go on ebay there are ones with ribbons-so look at those and look at their mechanics. I would say maybe try velcro-soft side on the poi so that it doesn't scratch you if you do wraps. Imbalance is right in saying there may be too much drag with pins, but if you try you lose what an inch? not too bad. Or try it over a reinforced part of the poi and fold the ribbon over a few times

have fun bounce

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
*Does the handy dance* I'm one of those "make everything you could possibly need in life" people, so I'm all for the home made style.

The trick is I have one set of poi that also serve their fiery purposes quite well and therefore permanent attachment to the poi isn't a very good option. Mebbe if I can sew in a quicklink into the ribbon then like, attach the quicklink to the holes in my eyebolts?

For the record my poi are of the non-sock variety...just the usual chain (okay, so I have gold chains to tell mine apart from the heard) garden variety.

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
You could try snap lock fishing swivels to attach the to your poi.
If you make funky poi head covers to cover the wicks you get less soot and easy removal and have the ribbons attaching to that. You can make the covers with elastic in the band to hold them on, Ive found thats easier than draw string but whatever suits hey.

I use surveyors tape for my ribbonlike poi as I am a cheapskate. Have to replace them occasionally but they are also noisy which is fun.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...surveyors tape is a good idea! And it's neon too!

Proudly MCRmy

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
i was thinking of attaching a swivel to the head of my poi and then a kind of helicopter attatchment to a single ribbon so when i use my poi the ribbon ends out in a helix any suggestions to make it work or words of encouragement??

oh and btw i dont mind of HoP steal my idea and start selling them aslong as i get a free one =P

poigirl221BRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
i sewed some ribbons on 2 mine. they look mint and when u dont want the ribbons on ive got practise poi (a pair of socks on strings) u can tuck them in!!!!

+ does anyone want 2 know how to make them its dead easy!! biggrin biggrin ubbrollsmile weavesmiley