Forums > Help! > De-smell my trekkies! URGENT help required!

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I got these marvellous N*rth Face trekking/ hiking boots.. bought them for cheap and they are - as they should be - waterproof...

May be a good idea in cold climate, but they got wet from the inside! eek After a long last day in KPN I took them off - half of the plane got offended and started to spray citronella, called the flight attendant to vaporate Eau de Cologne somewhere close to my seat or held on to their noses... shrug what to do?

I was happy not to have ended up like spank or footinmouth (imagine)

I really ubblove those boots and they're not older than 6 months frown would hate to loose them... any helpful input? [sic] Thanks for reading and .... the rescue (?)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
what does [sic] mean? you use it on many posts, and you're the only one I've seen use it.

I'd suggest cleaning the inside of your boots.

Or not taking them off.

Or buying new ones.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"what does [sic] mean?" - Good question. Ive seen it a bit elsewher though. What does it mean anyway? confused

TomO'thefire: You want to get those little smelly ball things that you pop in shoes to stop them smelling of sweat.

I remember, one of the cabin crew let me use his aftershave on the plane from Australia as I reckoned I stank ubblol

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
yeah and you can get insoles that take away stink too.

or just buy some dettol Neutra air. takes away all the stink smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Scholl is the answer!

smile

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i sooo thought this thread was gonna be about smelly star trek fans! damn that was a let down!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
I know [sic] to mean "said in context" but I understand it also means "thus" or "so".

No ideas on the boots tho, sorry!

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
you can't toss them in the washer and dryer...

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
[sic] is generally used when quoting an incorrect text.

So if someone wrote "Their grrrrreat!" and you needed to quote it for whatever reason in a text of your own, you'd probably write "Their [sic] grrrrreat!" to indicate that the grammatical error was theirs and not yours, thereby absolving yourself of any unsightly grammatical wrongdoing smile

I've no idea how Tom intended it in the above post, however...

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Get the charcoal insoles and also try rolling up newspaper and sticking it on your shoes to wick away the moisture. Sometimes certain socks will make your feet stink. Try thicker socks and try cotton instead of synthetic. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol that was sooooooooooo much helpful input wow Thanks for that - excuse the trekkie-bait... I would love to know your first thought on the headline ubblol

You guys made me just aware of a habit and investigate what it really means:

Written by: wiki

[sic] is a Latin word meaning "thus", "so", or "just as that".
The word sic is sometimes erroneously thought to be an acronym from any of a vast number of phrases such as "same in copy", "spelled incorrectly", "said in context", or "sans intent comique" (French: without comic intent). These "backronyms" are all false etymologies.

Wiki has more

I used it intuitively - very often so - and just mocked around with it... sometimes I even used it as a short version of [sigh] ubblol You're a great bunch hug

Smelling shoes are a bugger (esp. on airline travel) except for once: I went from Rio to New York, was really hungover and dodgy - when this guy sat in my seat (next to a pretty Carioca) claiming her to be a friend and asking me to trade my seat for his business class one umm Tell you what: after all those condescending and bewildered looks from my neighbors, I never enjoyed taking of those stinkers more, burping and farting all the way to JFK while ordering champagne redface

Okay, today I will start to "cure" my boots - I'll keep you posted

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Get hold of some Alum [aluminium potassium sulphate] powder... (usually found in pharmacies) and sprinkle it in your boots. It gets rid of the smell and helps stop your feet from sweating in the future.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Tom, you're still in Thailand right? if so it shouldn't be difficult to get a hold of some rubbing alcohol and something to spray it inside your boots with. That'll kill anything living in there ( except scorpions ) and if you can get your hands on dome Febreeze, then your smelly boot problems are over for ever.

Thanks for clearing up the sic thing.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
err you do wear socks dont you? possibly changing & washing your socks more frequently may help stop "odour de Firetom pour homme" acculumating in your shoes?

apart from that theres loads of shoes deodourisers on the market. happy trekking!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Leave incence sticks in your shoes when you're not wearing them? smile

You can wash shoes, even as far as putting them in the washing machines - though not sure about hiking boots...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You can stick hiking boots in the washig machine. Totally fine.

Just dont put them in on their own otherwise as they pin round, they will dent your drum, and utterly screw your washing machine up.

Its best to pt them in with some cushions, or something similar to stop them banging around.

ubbrollsmile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Oh yes, I DO wear socks... some ppl laugh about me, but I can't stand that PVC stuff against my skin... yuk! I am changing socks every day - like my mum taught me: socks and briefs, every day ubbangel good boy!

And washing machine I did try with other shoes already and it worked only VERY short time frown I guess the insulation against "eau de tOm" - so to say - got lost (some other ppl told me) and the smell came back 150% after a day...

I try to change shoes, too (have spare and let my others devaporize for at least a day) ... transpiring quite mucho as I carry a lot of heat (that where my nick partly comes from) and was told my skin has "large pores" umm

Jupp and when machine washing, I usually put them in a cotton bag, but as I said... this doesn't work...

But lots of valuable input from you guys on this one. I'll try one after the other...

Would you think that chemicals like >Alum would not just kill the living sweat out of my boots but also my feet? Kind-a worried with chems against my skin (except for sunscreen)...

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
The only solution I found until now is not to wear them all of the time. Giving them a break regularly & airing them work miracles! I know that's not that easy when you're travelling, especially as one usually does not want to carry gazillion pairs of shoes aroung, but well, what can one do? shrug

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
umm get a shoe mule... ??? wink

*changes voice* how does Liz Taylor travel, btw? *wiggles eyebrows* eeks - 2 am!!!! *and goes to sleep*

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
good night wave

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

3,556 posts

Posted:
can you get any of the pet cleaner stuff...they are supposed to clean all organic stains, including those with nasty smelling benzene circles
or maybe a bleach alternative
charcoal, oh wait, did someone say that already?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
What are your thoughts on oxyclean? I would try putting some of that and maybee some baking soda in there each day. Oxidizers may keep the bugs away.

In medicine there is a chem called chlorhexadine Glutonate and a product called a Biopatch. The biopatch has the chem dried inside the foam and goes around central lines like a gasket. The moisture from the body reconstitutes the chem over a week and acts as a time release killing bugs in a circle around the patch. It's safe for the skin and keeps septicemia away. Maybee you can get some of that or maybee the oxyclean will work the same way.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Tea tree oil is also nice in shoes.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

3,556 posts

Posted:
worked for my stinky dog, why not shoes

Faith

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
Once I accidentally spilled tea tree oil over my passport. The people at customs weren't too enthousiastic about it ubblol

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Plain old baking soda...

1/2 a teaspoon in each shoe for the first pair you wear for 6 days...

It REALLY works. Kills most of the nasty bugs that make the smell in the first place. Can take anywhere from 2-6 months for them to get back in your shoes at the number needed to start smelling again...

Try it please... so simple... but make sure there is no broken skin on your feet first...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

3,556 posts

Posted:
dryer sheets, and your feet will smell spring fresh too bounce

Faith

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I had the exact same problem with my fav walking boots, they really stank, i'd suggest taking out the insolesand getting some new ones but let them air for a day or so before putting them in, that'll help

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SaanSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
Okay, so I don't know anything about shoes, but my dad takes care of about every trekking shoe in the family, and his are nearly five years old and still look almost new, so I asked what he would do.

First advice was not getting them wet in the first place.

Second advice: let them dry completely, wash them out with ordinary water and soap, let them dry again. We usually let out shoes dry out under the car port, beyond the line where the rain can get to them.

If this doesn't help, I presume that means you'll have to go to the nearest outdoor shop in tears, explain what happened and ask them what to do. Try looking for a shop that organises stuff like survival weeks, nordic walking classes, etc., since they usually have had similar problems that needed solving as quickly as possible. (I'd recommend a few shops, but perhaps a transatlantic flight is a bit far to go for shoes) If you need new shoes, Iowa is a brand that's survived the longest with me, and I can get pretty destructive when it comes to footwear.

So... SHINY...

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
Dito with charles smile

... simplify ...