Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Ok. Here's the deal. I just looked at myself in the mirror, and, while I'm not fat, I'm not happy with both a combination of my energy levels and overall tone. I wish to try an experiment. I wish to eat healthy. But, I do not wish to be bored with rice cakes, salad, tea, and homemade miso.

So, here's the question.... what are your favorite truly healthy dishes.... and how do you make 'em?

confused

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Walum Sun...vietnamese spring rolls. Fairly cheap group meal thats fun.
a recipe

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

have what you like in them. We had them last night with Chicken, ham, egg, cabbage , cheese , lettuce and 2 of my kids love them. Good communal food that can be prepared. biggrin

you need the rice paper wrappers like this

Non-Https Image Link

Sushi or nori rolls is always good. Can make them and eat next day at work/school as well .
PM me with your email and I can send you my recipes for Walum Sum and Sushi biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

rainbowgirlmember
70 posts

Posted:
Stir frys are healthy - bung in a load of chopped vegetables and meats/meat subsitutes, with a little oil and a load of herbs and spices, serve with rice, noddles or pasta.

Actually most food can be healthy - its all in the preparation, take of visible fat, use low fat mayo grill not fry, smaller portions that kind of thing.

Im somthing of a hypocrite as i drink lots of beer/fizzy pop (full of calories and junk) and eat many kebabs (i dont see why they are unhealthy - they have salad, pitta bread and dont go near a fryer, but apparantly they are) But it really isnt that bad to eat healthily. Keep a food diary, look at the actual 'junk' you eat and see if you can limit or swap them, look at your favourite foods and see if you can 'healthify' them and if you arent bothered about eating it, then dont!

Dont be too harsh on yourself - most people who fail diets do so because they are being unrealistic. And drink lots of water - if you feel hungry drink a glass of water and wait ten minutes often the hunger goes away.

And find some exercise you like, or do the exercise you already do (like spinning stuff!) more vigourously. Its all easier said than done but if you arent happy with what you see, you will be motivated to put in the effort!

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars

"To alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems!"

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I just want to say to be careful with the sushi. Sure, it's better to have for lunch than a meat pie, but it's not as healthy as people think it is.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
https://health.yahoo.com/experts/heartdisease/633/beware-of-fat-free-foods

https://health.yahoo.com/diet/evaluation

https://health.yahoo.com/topic/weightloss

just a few websites
the first to remind that low fat does not mean healthy all the time, the donut can have less calories than the muffin.
the evaluation just gets you started, you don't have to order anything.
the last one has some two hundred recipes...yahoo also does a weekly planner that you can find on the main page.

i ate a lot of soups, salads with measured dressings, yogurt, and cold cereal with lowfat milk.
fiber and eating breakfast is supposed to help with getting your metabolism started, drink water like some one said.
when you're bored find something to do, i'm a boredom snacker.
my favorite "recipe" was plain popcorn with garlic and parmesean cheese.
moving around, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking wherever i could helped me when i was in need of losing weight
yoga worked for toning, power yoga biggrin i never got very far but the basics worked out well.
aerobics are important to show the toning
sorry i rambled ubbloco

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

422 posts

Posted:
Like I said, I'm not really interested in the losing weight stuff. I'm actually currently at was is suposed to be my ideal body weight. I'd just like to improve my overall condition.

Not to toot my orn horn, but I'm definitely not fat. In fact, here, check out my now defunct myspace to see what I looked like two years ago in some gothic-glamor shots! Very little has changed since then. Check it out! However, I'm still vastly out of shape. redface

I'm basically trying to get geared back up and in the right frame of mind and body for when the spinning season starts back up for me in a couple of weeks with the spring. That, and, after a whole winter of playing with paper fans, it's time to try real fans. ubbrollsmile

I'll let you guys know how to homemade miso and some of your recipes come out! biggrin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

I just want to say to be careful with the sushi. Sure, it's better to have for lunch than a meat pie, but it's not as healthy as people think it is.

I gather its not good if you are pregnant and sushimi with the raw fish is good for getting a solid parasite load and salt is fairly high (I think Salt is over crucuified) but what else is wrong with it? hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
As dumb as it is, and I know it's wrong and dangerous and all that, the only way I shift my weight is to pretty much starve myself. I've tried diets and stuff and they just don't work. I've tried exercise and that dosn't shift it.

So I starve myself and go to a club and mosh for 5/6 hours solid. Soon sheds it.

I've always had issues with my weight due to bullying, but now I'm boosting my protein intake and doing weights (And having gone veggie about 6 months ago) I'm much happier and chowing down lots.

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
best way i found to loose weight was to party EVERY weekend, as soon as i stopped the weight piled on, i now have a pot belly frown

nothing like 14 hours straight stomping hard to shift the fat, it's one thing i'll be taking up again when get my car.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Take it from someone who has gone through every fad diet and put on excess fat as a result, no fad diets!!!

Take a moment if you would prefer to spend time in the gym to work on your body or spending time where you enjoy yourself to work on your character (not conciously but you know what I mean)

These tips may not work for everyone. But a few pointers
* BIG Breakfast * Medium Lunch * Small Dinner
* Drink lots of warm water or tea.
* Walk everywhere, if you have nothing better to do at home after work, walk home...
* Swim in the mornings. Good wake up call and muscles tone easier after walking up...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I used to be a chef so heres my top tips

8 pints of liquid dosnt have to be water a day
Eat what u want when u want in small amounts if its unhealthy like chocolate
3 main meals a day should full you up
Excerise

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
6 pieces of extra crispy KFC chicken biggrin

assuming of course you don't eat anything else all day

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fNi

6 pieces of extra crispy KFC chicken biggrin

assuming of course you don't eat anything else all day

excuse me while i wretch violently ubblol KFC EWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that almost as bad as buger nonce and Mc kiddiefiddlers biggrin

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Battary farming, cattle ranchin, deforestation and increased carbon emmsions andd no recyling you evil person *laughs* only jokin but thats why u shouldnt eat there

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnor

Written by: Rouge Dragon

I gather its not good if you are pregnant and sushimi with the raw fish is good for getting a solid parasite load and salt is fairly high (I think Salt is over crucuified) but what else is wrong with it? hug

It's horribly early so I'm barely coherant, but im replying now so i dont forget! lol!

For a start rice is very high in energy, so unless you expend the energy soon it chills in your body as fat. The other thing is that sushi is literally sushi because it contains "su" = vinegar (not cos of the raw fish). And it often contains a lot of very sweet vinegar. And I dont really need to state that thats bad.

Oh, and you can get sushi with fish sperm. And that's just gross. tongue

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MikefromGlos

I used to be a chef so heres my top tips

8 pints of liquid dosnt have to be water a day

Eat what u want when u want in small amounts if its unhealthy like chocolate

3 main meals a day should full you up

Excerise

I was a weight loss councellor for over a year, and will be finishing up my studies for my advanced licensure in it.

There are a few fallacies here Mike.

The liquid should be water and it does make a difference. If someone were to drink 8 pints of non-herbal tea, coffee or soda it will make a huge difference. Caffeine is a diuretic and will cause dehydration, thus undermining all of your efforts. Milk has fat, even "fat free" has traces. Juice is high in sugar and shouldn't be drank a lot. And obviously, I don't have to mention soda or alcohol. It really does make a *huge* difference. And if you choose soda water or flavored waters you have to be careful of the sodium that many of them contain, as that is also counter-productive.

Warm lemon water is good to relieve weight loss due to bloating however cold water is better for weight loss. Your body has to expend the energy to warm the water to body temperature. Every little bit helps.

Eating what you want, when you want, even in small amounts will add up. I agree that a person shouldn't deny themselves but according to this I could have a small amount of chocolate twice a day, every day and it would cause weight gain if I didn't use it.

Ideally, 5 to 6 small meals is ideal, including eating within a half hour of waking up in the morning. 3 main meals is actually harder for the body to process and tends to not last throughout the day. 3 mediumish meals (with the larger one earlier in the day) augmented by smaller "snacks" is ideal.

You are right about the exercising, or just moving more.

It is actually better to do short burst workouts than 30 minutes all at once. 3- 10min workouts actually gets, and more importantly keeps, your metabolism up..plus most people can find the time to walk for ten minutes or some such.

Sushi rice is actually quite good for you. It is pre-portioned so you tend to not over eat it. It is usually Jasmine or Basmati rice, which are excellent sources of carbs, which should comprise a high percentage of your diet because that is what our bodies use for energy.

Sweet vinegars are also not bad, and is encouraged as substitutes for oil/cream based sauces and dressings.

It's the soy sauce you need to watch as it is liquid salt.
EDITED_BY: Pele (1173905890)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I was just trying to underline the importance of getting 8 pints into your body a normaly person i would hope wouldnt go out and drink 8 pints of coffee or alchol...

Again with eating what you want thing i ment within reason and trying to encourage people to vary there diet rather then eating say just pasta or just meat etc

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Gnor, that recipe sounds positively yummy!

I love crunchy foods so I make my own tortilla chips by cutting tortilla wraps into wedges and baking them on a very low heat until crispy. I will them brown up some ground chicken, have some homemade salsa (I just chop veggies and mix with cilantro) and have with fat-free plain yogurt instead of sour cream. Yummy nachos.

On a bamboo skewer I layer shrimp with cut veggies, sprinkle with fresh herbs (usually I like some lemon juice and dill on mine) and grill or bake. I serve this with some lovely Jasmine rice.

One of my favorites. I spray my frying pan with non-stick spray and scramble some egg whites on one corner of it. On another corner I cook a large portabello mushroom cap, both sides. When it is soft but not mushy I put it on a plate, sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese in the cap, put the eggs on top of that and drizzle with some salsa. Yum.

I also do this with meat instead of eggs. I've made turkey burgers and nestled them in the mushroom cap instead of on a bun. Sooooo good.
I usually serve these with a salad of mixed greens with bits of apple and dried cranberries, so it doesn't need dressing.

Pele

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
for energy levels and toning, i guess then i would say move about. it is supposed to help after the initial tired period. try and eat whole foods that keep blood sugars evener so you don't have a sugar crash
of course water is best, but start with making sure you have enough liquid
i don't know if anyone said it yet but the doc is always telling me how important sleep is

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
I find that eating the set out 3 pieces of fruit and 5 vegies (etc) a day means you are too full to eat anything else. And my energy levels went up 'eaps when i actually started eating fruit again.

xox

... simplify ...

BrokenLeavesSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Cheese and beans on toast all the way..followed by a smootie...mmmmm.

My mum has a similar recipe that involves baked beans, oinion, kidney beans, sweatcor, backed with toast and cheese..
next to I go home I will get it and post it..

it is an addictive recipie and so healthy!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
go vego or reduced meat intake (but get some books or advice on nutrition, its not as simple as just cutting meat out of your diet) and get loads of exercise. If you can find a Capoeira academy someplace near you I can highly recommend it. It'll burn fat, increase tone and make you happy (if taught well). Everyone I've ever seen that was actually good at capoeira has been buff! smile

I dont think spinning poi is that great for fat burning - its too easy and un-full-body.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Pele, I just wanted to say that I'm not sure what sushi you eat, but the sushi/japaense rice that I know is neither jasmine nor basmati

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pyrolific

If you can find a Capoeira academy someplace near you I can highly recommend it. It'll burn fat, increase tone and make you happy (if taught well). Everyone I've ever seen that was actually good at capoeira has been buff! smile

... that'd be perfectly lovely.... if I didn't have such a bad knee. My left knee was rather soundly thrashed in a riding accident in 2000, and it's never been the same since. I have to try to stay with low impact activities- especially since work is getting more and more high impact. =/

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I eat the sushi made by my friend who is from Japan. Her mothers recipe calls for Jasmine because it is so naturally sticky. It is also known as "sticky rice". It is also what the three sushi places I frequent, which are owned and operated by Japanese nationals, use.

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

Written by: Pyrolific

If you can find a Capoeira academy someplace near you I can highly recommend it. It'll burn fat, increase tone and make you happy (if taught well). Everyone I've ever seen that was actually good at capoeira has been buff! smile

... that'd be perfectly lovely.... if I didn't have such a bad knee. My left knee was rather soundly thrashed in a riding accident in 2000, and it's never been the same since. I have to try to stay with low impact activities- especially since work is getting more and more high impact. =/

Beginning capoeira isn't high impact. My son does it. The cool thing about it is that it is a lean and supple kind of buff, which is great for women.
If you have trouble bending your knee, or going down and up, it might be an issue.
If that is the case, try Bellydance or Hula. You can get great videos pretty much anywhere online. These are very muscle intensive (if done properly) and low impact, especially Hula. I've done Bellydance for over a decade and it wasn't enough of training for me for when I started Hula, which still kicks my butt in a great way. My legs, arms, back, core all feel it when I am done with even just a half hour. And even though they are low impact, they are an AMAZING aerobic workout.

Pele