Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
okie, my mom has forbid me from spinning fire poi now. The reason being a parenting show called out of control teens. On this show they 'apparently' did a thing on how teens who spin fire poi are being destructive to thier bodys and are going to die at a really young age from all the fumes and shit. Not to mention that only 'destructive' teens who don't care about themselves and others around them are the only ones who spin fire poi. Who here thinks that this all a load of f**king b***s**t. And who also thinks that as 'out of control teens, etc." we should send a series of angry letters to this show?

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
sensationalist bullshit methinks. sorry to hear that man

do you have a name for this show and the episode number/name/airtime and date so we can ask them where the hell they claim to get their information from?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
WTF? What Network was showing this Bram? Global? ('tis the only one moronic enough that I can think of to air that kinda sh@t).
The first thing that should set off warning bells about this show is the title. "Out of Control Teens" WTF? How 'bout I go air a show called "out of control Adults"? better yet "Out of Control TV networks"? Now in 9 months I'm going to be an adult according to law (I already am so far as I'm concerned). And I have this to say you can't control adults, you can't control teens. Yes teens are younger, yes they may have less experience, that doesn't mean they are less mature (I've seen some pretty stupid shit from so called "adults"). Sure adults should be there to guide teens, to give them there experienceses, and any answers they may want. But in the end we must make our own decisions. How will we ever become trust worthy if we arn't trusted, how will we ever become responsible, if everything is done for us? People who are sheltered as Children and teens are the ones who live at home until they're 40. The ones who make a few mistakes along the way are the ones who get bachorlers and masters degrees, get good jobs, and have a house, a car, etc... when they're 30-35.
And did this include teens who spin staff? What about teens who rave? Or better yet are producers or Learning to DJ. (Most mental health professionals will agree that learning to and making music increases your mental capacity). What about Kandy Kids, are we out of control because we were KandE and suck on blow pops?

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Bram, that sucks. maybe you can present a good case to your mom and she'll accept it as your own adult decision.

You can practise with tennis ball poi as much as you want - fire is really only for special occasions or weekly meets anywaythe paraffin fumes are really no worse than walking down a busy streetif you're spinning fire, you're not smashing windows and stuffspinning poi is relaxing, keeps you fit and helps you make friends

Magnus... pay it forward

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
At some point would someone please remind me to write an article on the health benefits of poi spinning?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Mike: don't forget to write an article on the health benefits of poi spinning.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
First of all, what country is this in? TV show? Etc.

Next, no offense but this concern had to have been in your mother's head ahead of time, because I fail to believe that people are still so easily led by what they see on tv. This is very like the glowsticks being drug paraphenalia. Media trying to tell the masses what they want to hear, and what will cause controversy.

We have a tv show here, Ripley's Believe It Or Not that promotes such sensationalist drivel, but more in a "don't try this at home" way, which I support but disagree with how they go about it completely.

Yes, Mike, spinning poi is great for you. There is no doubt. However, standing in the middle of parrafin smoke for extended periods of time is not all that healthy. Waking up with a stuffy nose, filling a tissue with icky blackness, with cotton mouth and a slight cough is not healthy. But, to me, it is akin to smoking and drinking, etc...unhealthy when over done choices, but choices all the same. I think moderation is the key to longevity here.

What if you were to invite your mother to come with you? To view first hand that you are not doing anything illegal and in fact are expressing yourself in a way that keeps you out of trouble?

Keep spinning though, no matter what, even if it is comets..If she sees you spin unlit and realizes that you have a passion for SPINNING and not for the fire, she might be more apt to let you do the fire once the hype wears down.

However, if you fight her on this, you will be only serving to prove that show right in her eyes.
"See what this fire stuff did to my son? It made him fight with me and yell at me, and what did he do? He disobeyed me and did it anyway. It is an evil corruptor and should be banned!"

This is part of what went wrong when parental groups boycotted various kinds of music...kids acted out in defiance and gave the parents more ammunition against the art than information about it.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
oh my god.
Im forming a support network for you BRam...I know that I should be writing something mature and insightful, but this just boggles my mind to the point where words elude me.
Be strong Bram.... Kia Kaha

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
In all seriousness now...

Ever see Bowling for Columbine? The media makes its money from making people afraid of things and telling people what's to blame for it, so that after watching some bit of media, one is able to go out into the world with a concise, pre-packaged, no-thought-necessary excuse for why certain things in life are the way they are. Anything that isn't completely mainstream and endorsed by that media can be targeted as the cause...in this case, poi is the victim.

Sensationalism at its best/worst, however you choose to look at it.

Hopefully your Mom will come around soon and see that show for what it, Bram.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
My mom won't tell me what channel the show is on or anything like that Frost

Mike, when you write up the thing on the benefits of spinning poi, I will pm you my addie, and you can mail an official one to my mom and we will see if she is going to pull her head outta her ass.

Pele, I think you may be right on this bullshit, seeing as how I have been forbidden to breathe fire anymore, b/c it is a heakth hazard, and this is coming from someone who used to be a heavy smoker since she was my age, and just quit 2 months ago, not to mention she does more pot then me.

I think that this may actually be just another one of my moms attempts to run my life until I move out, cause she knows that eventually it will just end in me moving out or her winning. But I am hoping that by the end of this summer I will be out of my moms place, and working full time. Hooray for independence

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Once again, the media prove they are moral-less sensationalist tossers......

It'll be "NEWS", when they stop treating everyone like a moron and start telling the truth without bias.......sadly the media have so much power that the ****'s (I've starred this one out myself) in charge wont give this up, and get a kick out of swaying public opinion.

As much as I'm personally aware of what the media are doing, I'm still powerless against it......it'd be nice to think that as informed individuals we're less supseptable to these sways/biases/and blatant lies.........but sub-consciously these people will continue to brainwash the masses until it becomes illegal.

ie no-time soon..........

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Bram...As the saga unfolds:
seeing as how I have been forbidden to breathe fire anymore, b/c it is a heakth hazard, and this is coming from someone who used to be a heavy smoker since she was my age, and just quit 2 months ago, not to mention she does more pot then me.

Okay, I have to say this...you are aware that fire breathing is FAR more dangerous than smoking anything right? I nearly died in July of last year from a fire breathing accident, and spent 5 weeks in the hospital. I support anyone who tells their children not to fire breathe. Poi is one thing, this is something completely in another league. Sorry Bram.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Generally I think that people who do fire poi have more respect for their environment and other people. Granted there are the occassional wankery clubbers who give the poi scene a bad name but generally poi people are a lovely happy bunch of people. The most destructive thing we do is whack ourselves repeatedly with large balls or fire / beaming balls.

I hope your mother changes her mind. Its a shame but if you sit down and talk with her and promise to limit the amount of fire poi you do, perhaps she will let you light up again. At the end of the day, she is concerned about you and believes she is doing what is best for you. If you can prove to her you are not going to end up on a respirator in 10 years time, she might be willing to let you spin fire from time to time. Best of luck.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
ok. I am so lazy, its been weeks since I have spun fire. when I spin its in my front yard.

and Pele, I well rememeber your accident. what Itell people is, I know the risks involved, I know how to lessen and limit them, and I am willing to take them.