Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival 2007 25th - 29th July 2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone and welcome to PLAY FESTIVAL 2007!!

Please forgive me for the lack of info, I have no computer to use and it'll be a few weeks more until I'm able to update it more often. I'll come back and put more up as and when I can.

Hopefully most of this info you'll have gotten from our newsletter, if not sign up to it on the website now! www.playfestival.co.uk

We had a wonderful 5 days last year and can only say that 2007 will be even better!

Thanks to everyone who came last year and who gave us feedback on what they thought of the festival, we've taken all comments on board and hope we can make the festival one that you'll enjoy even more than the last.

The dates for this years festival will be Wednesday 25th - Sunday 29th July and we will be at the same venue, Fordhall Farm in Market Drayton, Shropshire. The tickets will be £35 in advance and £40 on the door, that will include most workshops, 4 nights camping, the shows and other entertainments during the festival

We have lots planned for this years festival, more areas to play in with the emphasis on getting everyone involved, we will have a proper go at the world record after last years attempt didn't go so well (although it does look awesome on video!!!) and of course the usual abundance of workshops to keep you all busy in the day.

We'll have two stages this year, the main stage/tent and and nice little caberet tent, a solar powered cinema, a PROPER bar & food tent and a few more folks selling the stuff you want to buy (even if you don't realise it yet! heheh)

New for this year will be the PLAY HOP Amateur Performance of the year. It's a little competition we've come up with that can be entered by anyone for any type of performance. No more than 4 minutes long with a cash prize for the winner and the chance to feature on the next PLAY DVD. As you might guess from the title the event is sponsored by HomeofPoi.com (who have proudly given us the prizes for our games over the last two years). More details will follow soon...

The DVD of last years festival will be out at some point, probably exactly at the time we plan it to come out wink Focusing more on spreading knowledge to learn the arts than the last DVD and we're sure it'll knock your socks off!

If you want to contact us about anything please email us at one of the following addresses:

info@playfestival.co.uk

comments@playfestival.co.uk

volunteers@playfestival.co.uk

traders@playfestival.co.uk

If anyone wants specific footage from last years festival please wait until after the DVD is out, Strugz & co are busy enough editing the full thing to start making cuts for people! Thanks smile

As my internet access is sporadic at best till my pc is up and running, I might not be able to reply to email straight away, if you want to talk to me about anything call me on 07814 018091 and if you don't get an answer LEAVE A VOICEMAIL!

Keep checking the website for the latest information and we'll send out newsletters as often as we can.

hugs & smiles

Dunc hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Is anyone travelling up from the south west/M5? I'm wondering if it's gonna be easy to get up to the festie with all this flooding business? Any ideas anyone?

Also, whats the site like? all boggy and muddy and gross? or surprisingly dry?

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
hug to Glenneroo... and lots of good health wishes for your mum!

And Len, tell him that's not allowed, and that I will come to Bristol and pinch his nose if he doesn't behave!

I wonder if my poor boyfriend has got any idea that he's going to get out of bed early to drive me round Stafford on Wednesday morning so that I can get some food and alcoholic beverages and wellies and a jacket and batteries and and and and and? ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
To all those asking about the site, this from the play site weather thread:
Dunc wrote:
 Written by:

I've just been to the site, it's wet (duh lol) but the ground is easily holding it's own against the weather and isn't too muddy at all. So just make sure you bring your wellies and water proof jackets with you!!

See you all real soon *hugs*

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Well, looks like it's just me and my big girlies going, which is fine but I haven't been away from the baby for more than about 3 hours since she was born. I might be a soppy mess needing lots of cuddles and tissues after a couple of days!

I won't be bringing the huge tent (unless anyone specifically wants me to) so will prob put our stuff in a dinky little one, and sleep in the car.

Question: can I park up the mpv in the camping area next to our stuff tent, or will we be sleeping in the carpark??

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
would you want to park in the tent field if it's really wet? you could get bogged in for eternity

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
I did think that... but then the carpark could be just as bad..?

Beth I am coming up from Bristol. If the M5's a no go then I have no idea how else to get there. Actually, I don't know how to get there anyway *goes to find map* redface

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

My brand spanking new pop up tent is a bit rubbish...
Although somebody else put it up for me so it might have been rubbish because of that.
The poles are hinged and any strong wind makes them bend undone and I get a half collapsed tent frown
Really not sure if I should bring the amazing flowery 'i might stay up' tent, or the boring plain 'i'll definatly stay up' tent.
I'll have a fiddle around with it tomorrow and see if theres a knack in putting it up...

Aimz, if it's like mine, the hinges half way up the poles have a little button-type-thingy which locks them - that should cure it smile hug

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Just a note for you all,
the management are now probably all onsite sunbathing, smoking, drinking beer and generally dossing ( wink ) so they wont be able to answer any questions that are asked here. Its best to ring them if you need to know something.

Is that correct, Dunc? wink

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Hi there
I decided to go back to my folks house post Glade - to dry my skin and soul out.
So final offer of a lift from North London (they live near Luton) leaving either later today or early-(ish) tomorrow
Give me a PM if you want.
Apparaently site is reasonably dry and its bloody sunny outside!!!!!
Glen - sorry to hear I wont see you - but as was said - gotta stick wiv ya Blood homey (well it wasnt actually said, but intimated)
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I cant find any of the following: wellies / tent / the poi that work / waterproof things / torch .... erm.... please send help! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
im off to go and pack now. see you all tomorrow!

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
VIX I kknow how you feel, I lost all my wet weather gear ... must be a sign to take shorts etc as it will be dry and warm biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
well poi boy et al have just set off from mine, and my bikes now fixed biggrin

sounds like everythings gonna be just fine this week sunny

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Tomorrow, tomorrow, we'll be there, tomorrow,it's only a DAY AWAY! bounce

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Just checked if there was going to be a problem with my train... ones from the north seem to be fine. Not sure if this applies to anyone, but if you're coming up through Birmingham from the south, this is what Virgin says:

Flooding affecting Virgin Trains services
(Updated at 11:30, Tuesday 24 July 2007)

Please call National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 for the latest information.

Birmingham New Street to/from Bournemouth

Virgin CrossCountry services are running from Birmingham to Oxford, but are unable to operate between Oxford and Reading. No replacement road services are being provided due to poor road conditions in the Oxford area. There is a shuttle rail service running between Reading and Bournemouth. The current estimate is that the Oxford-Reading section of line will not be re-opened until Thursday.

Passengers travelling between to/from the Bournemouth, Southampton and Reading areas are advised to travel via London. Tickets are being accepted on alternative routes and by other operators.

Other Virgin Trains services

Virgin CrossCountry Services north of Birmingham and Virgin West Coast services to and from London Euston are operating normally.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
hughughug Good luck everyone (see, it's grim dahn Sarf wink )

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
bloody trains frown

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
ubbidea School's have broken up right? Get theeselves to platform 9 3/4 - the Hogwarts Express could do with a last run before being de-commissioned biggrin

Euonymous Europeus

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well according to the trainline.com, who update if any problems with railways acour (track repair that sort of stuff), the service from Preston up too Wellington Shropshire is fine. We arnt having any problems up here in the lancashire area so if you can get too the Blackburn, Preston, Bolton area you should be plain sailing.

Im going to call national rail though just to make sure.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
the problems seem to start just south of Market Drayton - which is good for Play but bad for southern travellers frown hug

Euonymous Europeus

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Yeah, seems like there's no problems* when approaching from the north. I'll go down to Stafford to the bf's today and get a lift down either tomorrow or Thursday morning if the weather's really bad tomorrow evening bounce bounce2 bounce

(* the author is not responsible for any jinxes caused by this statement.)

(G.W. Dahlquist)

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I should have learnt by now to completely ignore all weather predictions - the BBC weather forecast has changed almost completely, from forecasting thursday as the only dry day to forecasting thursday to be the only completely wet day smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Yeah its official, national rail just confirmed the services are fine between those two points.

I wonder if it would be easyer for the far southerners to get a ferry ride to a port up north and travel eastwards.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
anyone know any good road sites that can tell of road works? I have to drive through the worst effected areas, oxford, reading etc from southampton... better yet if strugz is already there can someone ask him to text me the route he took. coz he only lives round the corner

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
https://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/travel_news.jsp

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Had a quick look on the AA Roadwatch site - it looks like the motorways are clear (today at any rate) but A and B roads are suffering with floods/closures. So you're probably best keeping to main routes as much as possible. Once you get on the M6 you're home free

Euonymous Europeus

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
If anyone can offer me a lift from Newbury/Reading area I would be very grateful x

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
damn I know the A34 was shot the end of last week due to landslides and thats the first hour and a half of my route.. I'll check that roadwatch now...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
only seems to be 1 problem north bound and thats at the M6 junction all the problems seem to be southbound on the A34 for those southern drivers along with lane closeures and congestion around winchester (also southbound)

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Don't want to go getting everyone unduly optimistic or owt, but if you're quick (as in before the forecast changes again) there's a most welcome symbol for Friday afternoon on this weather site:
https://metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp?zipcode=tf9%203ps

(I like this site, it has pretty little animated things for the weather. Kinda odd that the clouds all move in the same direction whatever they're forecasting for wind direction though...)

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Page: ......