Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I have a mouse. Well, he's more of a roommate who doesn't pay the rent. He's very cute, but he's also a wild mouse in New York.

Now there are a number of options for getting rid of a mouse. I don't personally like live traps for two reasons: 1) they can literally scare the animal to death and 2) what do you do with the mouse once you've caught him? Put him outside where he'll just come right back? And glue traps are just cruel.

So I started with the poison. Poison's good because they usually die of stroke, which is painless and because they usually leave the building before they die.

This mouse ate two whole blocks of poison. And a week later same mouse is still running around. I know that warfarin resistance has emerged among mice, so I'm not entirely shocked...

So I stepped it up a notch. I got these handy new TOMCAT plastic snap-traps that are supposed to be safer and more reliable than the old-fashioned wood traps. And after five days...nothing.

So I went for the old-fashioned vicious wood and metal snap traps, baited with peanut butter.

Today I came home and found 1) two traps licked clean of peanut butter 2) no dead mouse in the trap 3) the darned mouse standing against the wall looking up at me just as proud as can be. And then he scurried away RIGHT ACROSS ONE OF THE TRAPS WITHOUT SETTING IT OFF!

So now I have Mighty Mouse.

I think I'm going to have to go for glue boards, as cruel as they are. Once I've caught him I'll have to stop his suffering quickly...a sharp bang with a frying pan should do it in one blow.

I don't like killing things. frown

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Dude - Its mouse apocalypse weekend.

Written by: Doc Lightning

I felt AWFUL. I was shaking and felt my heart pounding. Here I am a pediatrician, sworn to heal the wounded, cure the sick, and protect the defenseless. And I had to kill a terrified, defenseless creature who couldn't understand why I had to do it or what was happening to him. I don't know how long he was stuck to the trap, but I can only imagine how agonizing those hours were. I sat down, took some deep breaths, calmed myself...

That describes my yesterday too frown

We scored 6 yesterday, and 3 more in traps last night.a whole family we hope.
The first 2 were teenager mice caught by hand under plastic tubs, and we couldn't bring ourselves to kill them
so we put them outside.
the next one matt caught by hand! so we broke its back, (put a pencil on the neck, lift the tail. very easy - no mess their spines don't bend backwards), except i goofed and it took 5 attempts. frown
then 1 in trap. not instant death so we hat to bend its back too - one of the parents
then we caught another one and were going to drop it into a tub, but it escaped.
And i couldn't bring myself to stomp as it ran off.
30 mins later to be caught in a trap.

Hell I loose count, but you get the idea,
Killing mice weirds us out frown

My parents cat was the daughter of a farm cat, one of the best hunters I've ever seen - she once caught and brought us 9 rats in one day. biggrin
Oh, I want her back just for 1 day.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
we used to do the bag thing at the pet store when the feeders got pnuemonia, but there was too much incident of misjudged wall hits...before i left we decided to try and make them comfortable
there was talk about freezering them-cause it is supposed to be like going to sleep but i think frostbite and that might set in first

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I'm amazed the glue traps worked, actually. My sole experience with them was in my office at work. I came in one Monday morning to find a half eaten apple of my officemates. It very obviously did not have human teeth marks on it, so we called maintenance, and they put down glue traps in several locations. The next morning, we came in to discover rat footprints in the glue traps, a tad bit of fur, but no critters. So, they put more glue traps down that day, and we had the same pattern for the rest of the week. They finally called in the big dogs with two poison motels, and that seemed to do the trick. So, I guess you got lucky that your critters were small enough for the glue traps to work. Sorry that you had to go through all of that, though.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it was awful. I had to get up twice last night to kill more terrified squeaking animals. Fortunately, they had the courtesy to get trapped in twos.

My grand total is 9 and now I'm out of traps. So I need to get more.

-Mike

WeaponXmember
66 posts

Posted:
Mieeeeeow...

devil

Mieow..

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
And now that I've killed the nine...

Yet ANOTHER just darted across the floor in front of me.

*sigh*

-Mike

MordfabrikSILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
I have these traps that are like bigger boxes, with a little cylindrical hole all the way through them. I dont know where they came from, but they can hold maybe half a dozen mice each, and you can either use them for a live trap, or poison the bait and have them in one spot.

Mice are an unfortunate deal for both parties = (

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
What you gotta do is lie down on the floor with your mouth open, and put a large blob of peanut butter in your gob.

Soon as the mouse walks inside, close your mouth and spit him into a jar.

Then get a taxi to your bosses office and let the bugger lose.

... what?

Oh come on, you've never stored a rodent in your mouth before?

On a side note, my cat is approaching 15, and he is still catching rats the size of my hand!!

Why does he have to leave them on the doormat though?

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
faith, my old boss (I worked at a pet store about 4 or 5 years ago) decided one day to try to take one out with an ax! It was very grisly. I've been doing the "bag method" for years so I am really good at judging it now. I've also done the pencil snap that Dentrassi described.

The freezer method doesn't always work. My old boss tried that. They chew through the rubber seal and escape long before they freeze. Saw it happen a couple times. I do know the owners triple bagged and vaccuum sealed it, then put it in the freezer. That one sqeeged me out. Too slow and not painless.

Mike, I don't envy you one bit. However, I can offer a bit of well, perspective. My friend lived in a basement apartment and had field mice dropping on her from the drop ceiling in the middle of the night. At least the worst you get is stepping on them. shrug

I hope this ends for you soon.
*hugs*

Oh, another thought...clean your place up dirty man! wink tongue

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Oh well this is cute...I just ripped out my bathroom vanity, and what did I discover ? About half a pound of dried cat food laced with mouse turds and reeking of dried mouse pee. This means that whatever mouse that had set up housekeeping behind and underneath said vanity had been making midnight forays into the kitchen, grabbing a piece of food and hauling it back to his lair...that's a lot of trips.

The upside is it was dried catfood, not something that could rot and stink.

What suprises await me when I pull up the bathroom subfloor...more evidence of vermin?

Where's little rabbit frou frou when you need him ?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

Does he play the trombone, only eats licorice and lives in a bottle bag?

(Obscure Black Books reference biggrin )

NO NO NO NO! BILGE! CHILD POISON!

hug ubblove You are my NEW best friend biggrin

Your all soft, its just a mouse it wont eat you lol. If you want to go on a mishion to exterminate anything, its spiders. They deserve to die. One spider crawling along on its evil little belly is more ghastly than a thousand ghouls!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

3,556 posts

Posted:
pele
i was not primary bag person, but that person quit, soooo
since i got all the dirty jobs cause everyone else was squeamish, i had to try and get the hang of the bag thing

the freezer worked for our pet store but the animals were very sick, we didn't give up on them until the end. we even had people who would take sick ones home and care for them...

i guess whatever works and can be done humanely

so doc, anymore mice

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

Your all soft, its just a mouse it wont eat you lol. If you want to go on a mishion to exterminate anything, its spiders. They deserve to die. One spider crawling along on its evil little belly is more ghastly than a thousand ghouls!

The universe and I have an agreement Joe. If it is any form of rodentia or insect that is unwelcome in my home, the universe sends it to me when its time on earth is nearing its end, understanding I will do the dirty work fast and as painless as I can. Spiders are on that list unless they remain in hiding.
Likewise, the universe knows if it a cat, a dog or a reptile, I can not help but care for it.

Faith, our store sold frozen feeders and the only way we could garuntee their quality was to do it ourselves. Sick animals we did the same thing as you, take it home and try to nurse them, which is how I ended up with so many reptiles at one point. lol

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

3,556 posts

Posted:
my house is a bug free zone
offtopic story:
my first year in the dorms, my sophomore year, i had a sort of prissy roommate...neither of us were fond of the bug element
so we are studying for finals, i'm sick from all the pine pollen and mold...doped up on allergy medication
i look on the floor for a piece of paper missing from my notes and there is a big old insect the size of my hand on the window next to my head...on the inside inches from my hair that is blowing towards the window-fan blowing out for my allergies
*eek*
my roomie and i scoot to the other side of the room. the first response was to kill the bugger for surprising us, but then we both decide that he should be let go...my medicated state leads her to offer to take him out (bless her prissy little heart). he is too big for any of our containers and all we could think of is a piece of paper...less stress
he climbed on and was very chill, stayed while she walked out the room, about 2 min later, i hear a screech and then a flush
she comes back in looking scared and sad..."he started crawling toward me"
i give that girl credit for trying smile

Faith

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well last night ('bout 3AM) I caught two more.

Today my landlord and lady were back in their store, so I told them about the bloodbath. They were shocked. Nobody had any idea. I *really* don't envy them their job because they put a bunch of glue traps in the unoccupied store that's below my apartment...on Saturday. And now, they say they'll wait until TOMORROW to clear them out. I advised them to use peppermint oil and dust masks before entering the room because there *WILL* be festering mouse carcasses in every corner.

Didn't catch any more today, although I'm running low on traps. I triggered and discarded all of my snap traps because they never caught a single mouse and only served to feed them.

Hopefully this is the end, but my boyfriend's co-workers seem to think it's only the beginning. I can't imagine that my apartment, where I keep very little food, could possibly support many more than 11 mice.

Oh, I also just found the gaping hole behind the toilet and plugged it with steel wool.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

Joe, the mouse won't eat me, but it has fleas and it can also carry hantavirus.

I agree with you on the spiders, although one day I allowed a spider to live (well until she tried to crawl down from her corner). See, she had spun a web up there and I had a particularly annoying and large blackfly that happened to fly into her web. So I owed her because she was earning her keep. Then she tried to get all friendly with me, so she ate RAID.

It's funny, really. I am a pediatrician. My patients attempt to spit, vomit, pee, and poop on me every day, no to mention that they like to bleed on me, as well. None of this bothers me. I also have no fear of mice at all, although they are vermin and need to be exterminated.

But spiders? eek EEK!!!
EDITED_BY: Doc Lightning (1171322721)

-Mike

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
It's ok. I'm scared of bees.

I had on in my room just before and I ran out and had to get my flatmate to kill it redface

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

3,556 posts

Posted:
we had pet spiders
same thing happened to those

Faith

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I'm scared of bees too, and wasps. I never used to be, but I got stung on my eyelid a couple of years back (yes, I was keeping really still), it was really painful and swollen up for about 4 days. So since then I've been a bit nervous.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
But Mike...Mice are friends with the pigeons biggrin

I'd rather have mice than babies anyway.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
yeah and skip the cat thing. I mean, if you don't want smallish disease spreading fleabag animals with tiny poops running round like they own the place, why have a largish disease spreading fleabag animal with horror poops running round like it owns the place? Anyway cats are even harder to kill, you have to use hammers or axes or drown them with bricks and that's even scarier cos their evil spirits come back to haunt you. eek

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Anyway you'll probably all think that's a bit harsh cos people get fooled into facilitating the feline furdemons,

so here's a philosophical poem by a famous Scotsman instead:

Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie,

O, what a panic's in thy breastie!

Thou need na start awa sae hasty,

Wi' bickering brattle!

I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,

Wi' murd'ring pattle!

I'm truly sorry man's dominion,

Has broken nature's social union,

An' justifies that ill opinion,

Which makes thee startle

At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,

An' fellow-mortal!

I doubt na, whiles, but thou may thieve;

What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!

A daimen icker in a thrave

'S a sma' request;

I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,

An' never miss't!

Thy wee bit housie, too, in ruin!

It's silly wa's the win's are strewin!

An' naething, now, to big a new ane,

O' foggage green!

An' bleak December's winds ensuin,

Baith snell an' keen!

Thou saw the fields laid bare an' waste,

An' weary winter comin fast,

An' cozie here, beneath the blast,

Thou thought to dwell-

Till crash! the cruel coulter past

Out thro' thy cell.

That wee bit heap o' leaves an' stibble,

Has cost thee mony a weary nibble!

Now thou's turn'd out, for a' thy trouble,

But house or hald,

To thole the winter's sleety dribble,

An' cranreuch cauld!

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,

In proving foresight may be vain;

The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men (**** or possibly Mike and men....)

Gang aft agley,

An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,

For promis'd joy!

Still thou art blest, compar'd wi' me

The present only toucheth thee:

But, Och! I backward cast my e'e.

On prospects drear!

An' forward, tho' I canna see,

I guess an' fear!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
haha..newgabe..I could add lots of interesting ways to dispatch cats to that list. There's a reason I'm up and on HoP at 6 am..I have a psychotic screaming Siamese cat that thinks that's the time we should all get up..and every morning I dream up new ways of "silencing" her. Sometimes it's even earlier if she brings in a live mouse.

I won't actually do the deed...but I can dream, and sometimes I scare myself with the ideas I come up with.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Good morning Stout. Screw your courage to the sticking point as the Bard says. One less psycho moggie in the world is a noble contribution to world peace.
Meanwhile all blessings upon you, Doc. Mice rarely, as you have discovered, come in ones...

Page: