MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So yesterday, April 7, I woke up and noticed that the light coming through my blinds seemed a bit...whiter than normal. So I got up and looked through the slats and saw...white...and then I lifed a slat to get a view and I saw a LOT of white.

It had snowed six friggin' inches the night before last. Traffic was skidding all over the road outside my house (there's a nasty intersection right out my window) and it was still falling. This was preceeded and followed by freezing rain. The snow is still on the ground today.

Hello?!?!? SPRING? I'm so sick of this.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
That does suck it being April and yall got 6inches of the white stuff.I saw that on the weather channel and was thinking the same thing as you.
quote:
Hello?!?!? SPRING?
I live in Oklahoma and now that snow season is over...At least I hope so, I have to look forward to Tornado Season.Of course I'm a weather person and love spring time the best just for the reason of severe weather.I wanted to be and still sorta want to be a storm chaser and spot tornadoes.I've been in a scary situation like that only one time and that was out on a lonely stretch of road at 10pm with 3 tornadoes surrounding me at the same time! There was no place to seek shelter.If it came down to having to abandon my truck I would of had only a flat field to lay in and pray that nothing happened to me.I certainly don't want to be in that situation ever again.It's one thing to have a tornado on the right and left of you in fields, but to have one try and come right down on top of you is no bueno. Fortunately they didn't come down all the way and I was lucky enough to reach a nearby town and find out more info on the weather patterns.Now I have a CB with weather alert and anytime there is bad weather approaching my area there is a shrill siren that sounds and lets me know hey listen up, bad weather is on it's way.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Tee hee hee - we stole your spring.. it;s still coldish here.. but as I look out the window of my poky little office - I see SUNSHINE

Don't worry Doc.. we'll give it back spoons, after we have wrung it of all warmth and light.. acutally naa - we'll give it back to you next week.. can't have you all suffering from SAD now can we?

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Mistress Aurora, I remember when I was about 10, I was home alone and a tornado decided to do a little dance down the lake we lived on. Now, our house was built into the side of a hill, so our basement had these huge glass windows. I heard the tornado coming (people say it sounds like a freight train, but I think it sounds more like a jet plane taking off) and like an idiot, I just stood there in front of the glass windows staring at it. Of course, once it was over the lake, it became a water spout. And then it decided to turn and head RIGHT FOR OUR HOUSE but just before it came ashore, it just *poof* evaporated!

I think that was the day I discovered I have a guardian angel.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Haven't been that close but I was stuck in Fort Worth during 5 tornadoes last year, s'whot we get for goin dt when we should have stayed at the hotel..Weather sucks here too, feels like winter again..Hope it's not killin all the flowers I planted

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Mike...I love you but quit yer B!tchin'!

We here in Rochester got the lovely experience of a late season ice storm that plummeted us into a state of emergency from Thursday Night and through the weekend. Just when things started to look as if they were clearing up, and as if power might actually stay on for more than a few hours, we were hit by a snowstorm, which took out even more power and caused more accidents.

The crazy part is, with the trees falling and the booms of transformers blowing up, people thought we were under some form of attack. I suppose they didn't see the lightening or hear the thunder in all the panic! LOL

Noah went back to school for 1/2 day today, after having Friday and Monday completely off due to power outages.
And we are raising our fists to the sky and screaming "What the hell were you thinking???" to whichever element or diety chooses to listen. At least we provide them with humor I believe.
All of our stuff lived, as did we and our animals though. And I am grateful. There is just alot of tree debris to clean up!

And here I thought we were ready to put the snowbrushes away! HA!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Oooooh - tornadoes!!

I've always wanted to see one of those (any tips as to when and where to go to see one would be luvverly). I love extreme weather, but managed to sleep through the UK's biggest hurricane back in '87.

As to snow....we've been having summer for the last month (sunniest on record ). Though this probably means we'll have non-stop rain thru June/July/August.....

I'd hate to live somewhere that had predictable weather - what would everyone have to talk about?

Hugz

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

1,032 posts

Posted:
Doesn't the UK see severe weather like tornadoes? I know they are most common in the US but they can occur anywhere.I guess because we have the right ingredients for a tornado: warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico, cold air from Canada and a dry line is good in spawing squal lines of storms which tend to become severe very quick.

Lightning the staring at a tornado part is quite normal.Either from curiosity, disbelief, or fear.I know I probably would go outside and find it if I knew I wasn't in too much danger.
First tho I would have stuff ready in case I had to leave the awesome site.I tend to watch the weather reports and go to the radars and satellites online to watch the weather patterns way ahead of an oncoming storm in my area.That way I'm both prepared to seek shelter and go outside and watch it.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

1,032 posts

Posted:
Dr.NoodleHead, the best time to see a tornado is in the spring here in the USA.Best states to be in is anywhere in Tornado Alley. Tornado Alley

I am from Wichita Falls,TX and April 10 will be the anniversary of the 1979 F4 tornado to hit my town.We still remember it and are educated because of what happened.

Pics of Terrible Tueday

Info about Terrible Tuesday and accounts of that day

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I thought that Tornadoes were everywhere as well.
We get about 2 a year here. Though about 4 years ago we had a bunch of them hit, usually only F2's though. Still awesome to see.
Coincedentally, Attica prison (not far from here) sits on the largest Earthquake fault line in the Northeast. So if we ever get a huge shaker like in Cali (we average a few 4. or less per year) it'll be interesting to see what happens there!

I like living in the Northeast though. Our natural disaster quotient is pretty low compared to other places. I mean, at least ice and snow melt! Flood, hurricanes, tornadoes, quakes...they are pretty brutal in comparison!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK