Forums > Social Discussion > Following Your Own Path - Discussion on Self-Based Religion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
LilBBoySILVER Member
Discoverer of Rainbow Cheese
143 posts

Posted:
Hey all! First, thanks for reading this post and I hope the subject interests you. This thread is about what has become known to people as "unofficial religion", or as the school computers tell me when I try to do research on it; "Unofficial/Indigenous/Occult Beliefs".

After being a Buddhist for 2 years, I have found deep satisfaction in my life. Everything has changed for the better. However, I feel that there is more to the story than Buddhism tells. I believe, unshakably, that there is a God, which Buddhism attempts to, in a sense, dispel.

I find it extremely interesting that some of the people I know and love follow their own paths; their own beliefs, which no-one can distort with their own. I find these people admirable and, to say the least, courageous.

What do all of you beautiful people think about this topic? biggrin wink

Peace & Love hug ubblove

Time does not exist. In theory, everything with a beginning has an end. Therefore, only things with an end can have a beginning. As time has no end, it has no beginning, therefore does not exist. GO PHILOSOPHY!!!
Brittle Week was the shizz!!!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Why do you find it very offensive?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
because it is a Holy object, like the Cross
one of the guidelines is whether or not is the posting offensive or something like that...
if i said anything like that people would be jumping down my throat, but i'm an evil Christian and no one cares

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
In the context of an online discussion, I feel it's not particularly helpful to take the 'I'm an evil christian/no-one cares' approach.

If, instead, you tried to convey why you're finding it offensive, then maybe others would see your point of view.

Personally, to me, simply saying 'cos it's holy', doesn't really explain why it's offensive.

I consider several buddhist texts to be holy- the fact that they're widely acknowledged to be fictional, to me, does not detract from them in the slightest, or make them less worthy.

Most people would agree that the bible has, at least, fictional elements ie it describes events that did not happen.

Your previous post where you said that you don't really take the bible literally, seems to suggest that your yourself realise it contains at least some fictional elements.

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I'll ask again- why do you find the suggestion that the bible has fictional elements, offensive?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

3,556 posts

Posted:
he called it fiction, it is a holy book
why is it so hard to understand that would be offensive

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
confused

I said and stick to, that even though I regard (at least parts of) the Bible as fictous, I respect it's content and the ppl who believe in it. If you regard my posts offensive and against the guidelines of this bb, you may report them to the mod's, Faith.

(btw: Have you ever observed the interaction between a chained and an unchained dog, when out for a walk?) juggle

Believe me, when I say that I respect the sacredness of your book - maybe you (as well) respect the sacredness my self (-based religion)? umm wink hug

To me it's not that much about whether or not something is fiction, but what it triggers (in me)...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

It's hard to understand because you're not really making much effort to explain why referring to a holy book as fiction is necessarily offensive.

Earlier I pointed out that the fact that certain buddhist holy texts are regarded as fiction is not offensive- to me this demonstrates that pointing out the fictional content of a holy book is not grounds for accusations of offence.

However, if you can't, or don't wnat to, go into it further, then fair enough- personally I se nothing offensive in someone referring to the bible as fiction, if you do, then like Tom says, you're free to notify the mods.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

Written by: faithinfire

It's hard to understand because you're not really making much effort to explain why referring to a holy book as fiction is necessarily offensive.

Personally I find the suggestion that the Bible isn't at least partly fiction offensive, given some of the pronouncements it makes. Sames goes for the Quran. I don't believe Jesus rose from the dead, or that Mohammed was a prophet, ergo I considered both works at least partly fiction.

Would we have any trouble refering to the texts of Scientology as fiction?

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
@ 87wt2gxq7: I completely agree! BOTH books hold vital informations, guidelines and ideas - as many more books (no matter whether or not fictional) - also The Celestine Prophecy (pt. 1) holds important ideas, so does The Alchemist...

I personally find it tricky, if s/o is ready to start a fight over "sacredness" of this or that - I mean it's not as if I use the sheets in the restroom or to plaster my walls and in no ways I can detect much disrespectful manner in my approach.

My personal philosophy incorporates that one can and should speak her/ his mind (in which respect it's totally okay that you said what you said, Faith) - these (for me) are "the words of god", just as much.

"God" (in my understanding) is neither a machine, nor linear in actions, but as much contradictous as reflected in the world and ourselves.

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
im interested in this Unitarian Universalist way.. sounds very intruiging and goes along with my beliefs... must look into it further.. smile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: wikipedia

A Reader's Digest article of May 1980 quoted Hubbard as saying in the 1940s "Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion

Written by: 87wt2gxq7

Unlike Dianetics or any other book of Scientology which, as far as I can see, are completely devoid of any merit whatsoever.

ubblol to me the merits of the work of Mr. Hubbart are pretty obvious... His quote, as cited by Wikipedia, exactly gets the point and clearly describes why I personally am basing my beliefs on my own experience and do not intent to follow anybody elses movement - including christian, islamic and buddhist churches.

IMHO the philosophy of "enlightened" (or awaken) ppl are bound to be corrupted into "religions" who (only in fractions) reflect their original teachings.

Therefore I can only appeal to anybody to render their own minds and belief systems, which ultimately might lead into (spiritual) freedom. shrug

We don't need a leader... juggle

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
Tom you're totally right but it doesnt harm to look into other religions at the same time... sometimes i think i dont need a leader but perhaps maybe sometimes just a guide to tell me the difference between intuition and thought.... juggle ubblol

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ditto to both the above!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:

Written by: burningoftheclavey

the difference between intuition and thought....

Hmm... I don't think there is a difference. I don't see how there can be.

I would say intuition is thought without the inner monologue.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
This debate reminds me of the proverb “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

To me, religions like Buddhism teach people to fish by providing self help philosophies that work by showing people how to reach harmoney and enlightenment in this life. On the other hand, dogmatic religions like Christanity give people fish, and rely on people blindly following rules so that they might reach enlightenment in the next life.

faithinfire you said “a soul is what connects us all to each other, the general moral compass, the nudge of conscience that some listen to more than others.” This sounds rather nebulous to me, show me a soul and I might believe you.

barefootwonder7, you say “And I agree, I see God most often through nature - in fact, its when I'm in the midst of nature that I find it impossible to understand that anyone could believe it wasn't created by some sort of intelligent being - It's all so intricate and beautiful and amazing!”

To me, this indicates that you can’t accept things as they are, and like the human beings we are, we make up stories like “it was all created by a supreme being”, so we can understand the understandable. Much like the Australian Aborigines following their Dreamtime.

barefootwonder7, enough of these sacrifices! The secret is in Genesis, just don’t eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. That path leads to death and destuction. If you want an example, just look at how the children of the book (Jews, Christians and Muslims) are slaughtering each other today in the Middle East.

The alternative is to seek an understanding of the meaning of life through philosophies like Buddhism. Buddhism teaches people the way to understand themselves, how to live with other people in harmony, as well as achieveving enlightnement in this life.

The big trick to reaching enlightenment is to get over “yourself” and your own "self-importance " (ego/soul/self), and accept that looking for salvation in a supreme being/God is a waste of time, and having faith that you will end up in Heaven is just procasternation, like waiting to win lotto,

The Old Testament is basically the Jewish bible, and has little in common with the world today.

So, Christians tell me, if the bible is such a holy book then how come it has led to so much destruction, persecution and death through the ages?

ubbangel

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stone

Buddhism teaches people the way to understand themselves, how to live with other people in harmony, as well as achieveving enlightnement in this life....

So, Christians tell me, if the bible is such a holy book then how come it has led to so much destruction, persecution and death through the ages?

Much as I value (and practise) buddhism highly and agree that, of all the 'religions', it's about the most practical and least open to misinterpretation- in all fairness I feel it's worth mentioning that a prime reason it's not led to the same kind of misery and destruction that christianity/Islam have, is simply because it's not as popular.

Certainly,in places where it has become the state 'religion' it results i pretty much the same scenario that christianity/Islam does- ie a dogmatic, spiritualy empty system and a form of social control.

I'd also say that the majority of 'buddhism' practiced worldwide today is watered down, innacurate and used in pretty much the same way as Christianity/Islam is.

Equally, much as the majority of Christian/Islamic practice is pretty empty (spiritualy), there are a minority of practitioners who get the same kind of benefits as those making effective use of buddhism.

Ultimately, it's probably more down to the quality of the practitioners than of the particular system/philosophy/religion.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Stone and OWD: clap one compliments the other IMHO, thank you both. hug

Yet I am very careful about the point where people claim to follow, or even to simply have knowledge of the original... Not even IF all the original teachings WERE to be exactly recorded, one can step into the exactly same footsteps. Times change and so do we. Funny enough there seems to be something that persists: curiosity...

Written by: Jeff

Written by: burningoftheclavey

the difference between intuition and thought....

Hmm... I don't think there is a difference. I don't see how there can be.

I would say intuition is thought without the inner monologue.

I double that, mostly the monologue starts right after the intuitive instant, trying to reason rolleyes shrug

[edit, since nobody has replied yet]

But back to the initial question: IMHO if someone wants to base his "religion" upon himself, one should take a careful look at what is out there already. Explore, observe and be very alert. In this one may find the end of the rainbow smile hug
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1170395299)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Double post: well, what to do?

Burningman (german) posted this one on poiforum.de - I guess it's well worth clicking. Also the corresponding website seems interesting:

Philosophy of liberty

If thoroughly considered, it opens a can of worms...

3,556 posts

Posted:
just one thing
imho someone has a higher claim on my life
ok that's it-going away now

Faith

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... certainly on my life, too - he's called "death" wink

(*points at OWD's signature*)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Good point FireTom, but do we really own our own lives? Do we really have freewill? Or, are we at the mercy of our deterministic brain and the subsequently programming we receive through our life? Are we not in fact just biological robots going through the motions?

Thanks to the many discussions on Artificial Intelligence at HOP it was pretty hard to for me escape the conclusion that we are in fact anything more than robots. That’s why philosophies like Buddhism work for me.

Buddha had a natural gift for psychology, and imo, following his teachings is one way we can break our deterministic programming and become free thinking people in command of our own destiny.

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

3,556 posts

Posted:
programing = fate
if so just because we are predisposed and probablity leads to certain decisions, i still make that choice
a little offtopic, but not completely...the ending of the movie stranger than fiction dealing with fate and free will

Faith

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Crypta?

The problem with programming is, that one thinks to make his/ her own decisions, whilst in fact it's just due to the programming.

Fate is IMU woven into that said programming and can be changed, or dealt with by awareness.

At this point it's rather the individual in the driver seat, than the social background and conditioning from the outside.

Or in other words: one's only able to see where s/he is going if the windscreen is clear wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I agree faithinfire. I suspect a lot of people let their past rule their future and call it fate. But isn’t your choice dictated by how the past has taught you to react? The point I’m making is that you can get back to nothing and create a new future for yourself; a future not dictated by the past.

FireTom, I’m not sure having awareness makes a huge difference either. Awareness doesn’t necessarily lead to change. Apparently, 66% of Australians are overweight. Now this is not because they don’t know how to loose weight or that being overweight is unhealthy. No, it’s because they just haven’t bothered to do anything about it.

Sure, a clean windshield helps, but who’s really driving the car? And are you driving you’re into your future or into your past?

smile

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
wicked thread still thriving,well done peeps.

@stone,you say you can create a future not dictated by the past and i agree,am in right in thinking you are saying you can get there through buddhism and in particular its more pshycological writings?

as for awareness i thyink it a step in the right direction but that is all it is......................
EDITED_BY: tim_marston (1170682244)

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ubblol

That's fantastic! I think we need one at the beginning of the aura thread too... and maybe the intelligent design vs creationism one... smile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

3,556 posts

Posted:
i seriously don't think that you can act without your past having influence over your future
if for no other reason than you think that you may be acting one way or another to avoid acting from influence of your past
that whole faith diagram, of course, i find irritating because it only takes into account the people who do not grow, and that isn't fair to people who spend time tending to their faith...and just because we find a different explanation to our observations doesn't mean we are wrong we are just operating under a different set of premises

Faith

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
That diagram is genius

I love it.

I am always on the verge of piling into this thread with a long atheist tirade, but I've resisted. It would upset people and require a lot of energy on my part.

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

wolfcub3223BRONZE Member
128 posts

Posted:
I knew a guy who said he made his own self religion turned out he had a strange god complex and shot everyone at his work

Ich brauche Zeit
Kein Heroin kein Alkohol kein Nikotin
Brauch keine Hilfe
Kein Koffein
Doch Dynamit und Terpentin
Ich brauche Öl für Gasolin
Explosiv wie Kerosin
Mit viel Oktan und frei von Blei
Einen Kraftstoff wie Benzin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... and you knew him? umm Must be a strange feeling...

Now I might become a little cryptic, or appear preaching - feel free to spank me for it. wink

A very good question you were asking, Stone - who's in the drivers seat of my own life? The ego? The mind? The past? God? The universe?

Acting with completely neglecting ones past is IMHO a myth - I side you on that one, Faith. Many "teachers" and "preachers" like to put their scholars in a merry go round, by telling them: "You have to get rid of your mind, your past, your ego in order to accomplish "enlightenment" and to cease "suffering"."

But it's one thing to memorize that shining red iron might be sizzling hot and another that I got once bitten by a dog. Whilst the former will make me test, before I put my hand onto the oven, the latter might turn me into a victim-pattern, if exaggerated.

Personally I come to the conclusion that each and everything/ aspect that is present in my life has it's right to be there - otherwise it wouldn't be there in the first place. Cause and effect, trial and error are valid concepts to me and we had quite a number of "revolutions" already, which (IMNSHO) didn't change a bloody thing.

Neither religion, nor science in itself came back with a 'sufficient' answer of what life is really about and how to become "truly" happy. And as much as I like the diagram above, it's plain simple "proving" that science is better than faith - which is completely erroneous.

Religions and philosophies have undergone a lot of changes and adjustments in the past and they (in fact) do both help us to understand the universe better - it's up to ourselves, how much validity we put in those "regular" belief systems and how much we let them govern us.

The more I personally am making effort to integrate everything present in my life, the more I am discerning - as in opposition of being judgmental - the more pleasant my life gets.

"True" Happiness Love Enlightenment

These are all just terms - it's up to each and every individual to fill these terms with meaning, to explore and to verify what that really means (to us). "Everybody is taking a different road - to the same destination." (New York cab driver) wink

I guess it's easy(er) to follow other peoples road maps, but I figured, that my life is neither a rectangle city, nor a jungle - it's more like a garden that I am responsible of myself. I can take on, or neglect the "duty" to take care about it, I can also pass this "duty" on to others - lately the only thing that is important (to me) about the whole thing, is how I feel about myself and my surroundings and how confident I am able to walk, without implying onto others, or playing power games...

IMHO it's not about running around, appearing like being on Prozac all the time, but to be authentic.

3,556 posts

Posted:
prozac just makes you a zombie not happy (imo)

but yay for authenticity
EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1170737622)

Faith

Page: ...