PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/unanswered_prayers

Wow.
I understand why those people wrote the letters.
I understand that they sent them in confidence to be prayed over.

I HATE the fact that this fisherman is so inconciderate and greedy that he feels the need to sell these very private and intimate letters on Ebay.
And if I wrote one of those letters I'd be furious with him feeling as if he has the right to sell something I created in confidence, including name and address. The fact that some of the letters hadn't even been opened makes the whole thing seem more horrible to me.

What an interesting find though, aye?
Frankly, in NJ, I'm surprised they fished it out of the water!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
That is such a heartless thing to do, from the sounds of it the people didn't know where to turn and poured out their hearts to someone they felt they trusted (god) and now the extracts are all over the internet for anyone to see, and worse for anyone to buy.

That is shamefull.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
One of my friends is trying to find a way to get ebay to not allow it to happen.

I hope she finds a way as it really is deplorable.

Pele

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Just goes to show, if you have any secrets, writing them down is the worst thing you can possibly do because you never know who's hands it'll end up in.

There's no way I'd write stuff I didn't want just anyone to read, then send it to some random minister. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't think its worth taking risks with these things.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
in england, you would have to present the letter to the 'receiver of wreck' before you can keep what you've found.

bbc history

anyone know what equivalent law (if any) exists in the u.s.?

still, continuing to open loads of them up when they got home is makes them seem like right weirdo's.

like, once you realise something is intended to be wholly private (and possibly even sacred?), doesn't continuing to look just make you a kind of sad, intrusive voyeur-type...?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Or Psyrush, it's why it should be done anonymously. Like that postcard site.

Coleman..I have no idea if a law exsists. There was something in there that said for it to be concidered a historic artifact, the object has to be over 100 years old.

Now, evidentally they tried to track this man down but to no avail.

I imagine if one does, someone will point it out now that it's hit the news.

I see your point about the intrusiveness of just reading them. Though, honestly, I dunno what I would have done. Curiousity would have me reading at least *some* (the opened ones).

Why can't he just turn them into the church that father was at and perhaps the current minister would do with them as they were intended?

Keeping them and selling them...spank

Pele

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
There might be some legal recourse within maritime salvage laws. Or the letters could be considered government property if they have a stamp on them, in which case opening them is still a federal crime, as is selling someone else's mail.

Reminds me of a movie about a similar situation once called Dear God. Someone at the post office starts going through all the undeliverable letters, addressed to God, and starts anonymously answering the prayers within... kinda neat story. cool
EDITED_BY: Prometheus (1162843898)

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i thought it was a cute house

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I saw that movie Prom! It was cute.

There was one about Santa too.

My friend has been checking ebay almost religiously and hasn't seen a show of them yet. She is highly offended over it all.

Pele

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
go back to the original link you provided above - the sory says he is not going to sell them but give them to the church...

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
The link now shows an article posted on Tue Nov 7, 3:09 AM ET. So i'm going to guess that yahoo news doesn't keep articles at the same location when the stories are updated so when we look, we wonder why everyones getting upset when it says there not being sold. When they looked the article was based on the initial information.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
it's a yay, at least.

i am not surprised he had so many outraged phone calls/letters. i think it is pretty awesome that other churches have got in touch to offer to pray over them, which was the original interntion.

never intended to make any money, huh?

Written by:

I was looking at these more like antiques

well no one profits from antiques. 'specially not on ebay frown

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well, according to the new article, he did have them up on ebay (sad), he did have people bid on them (sadder), he received many, many hostile phone calls and emails about it (good) so he took the auction down (better) stating that he never meant to make a profit (bullsh!t-liar).

Hopefully the pastors daughter will follow through and honour these letters.

Pele