Page:
Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
When I started juggling there was no such thing as spinners, or if there was nobody had realised yet.

There were diffrent types of juggler, contact jugglers, poi, staff, cigar boxes.....it all came under the general heading of "Juggling"

I was surprised when Poi and Staff people began to claim a diffrent title. I heard people saying "It's more of a spinners workshop/event" or "It's more for jugglers"

I guess it come hand in hand with Poi and Staff maturing as disciplines, they have come so far recently. When I started there really wasn't much to learn, no Wibbling or antispin or hyperloops and any contact move made you an acknoledged master

What is the diffrence between jugglers and spinners?

Ps- the title of this thread wasn't meant to indicate that they were in opposition or fighting

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: the boy g

the title of this thread wasn't meant to indicate that they were in opposition or fighting

It wasn't??

Man, and I had wikid images of flaming poi and sticks being twirled in a menacing fashion... as all shaped balls and sizes are being thrown from across the battle field....

I've lost interest now tongue

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Me too.... besides the differences were strongly pointed out by Jugglers who were looking down at spinning as "not being juggling".... the history of EJC's practically prooved that.

Now Jugglers become aware that spinning may grow bigger than juggling and try to get back into the boat.... umm

Do we let them?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i don't think poi and staff were widely accepted by the juggling community until fairly recently.

as such, the spinning community was really left to develop alongside the existing juggling community and has now really begun to come of age with larger and better organised events being run specifically to cater to and for spinners.

most of the jugglers i know are spinners too anyway shrug

i think you can relate the two by the following equation:

spinner = juggler - (aloofattitudebuiltupoverpast15years) wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:

the title of this thread wasn't meant to indicate that they were in opposition or fighting

I take it back- Bring it on

I know I'm firmly in the jugglers camp. We may be few in number (particuarly on this battlefield) and the enemy may be better armed (lets face my trusty juggling balls are no match for a big burning stick) but errrrr we have ummm God on our side yeah

(Prays for a miracle)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:

........errrrr we have ummm God on our side yeah

ubblol good luck in that helping you........ id say your better off asking acme for some of there roadrunner like death devices...

your more likley to get them wink

As for the divide - i heard about one once, but also went to my first bjc and ejc this year...... there was small talk about it, but only from jugglers....... spinners are far too laid back and open to care i think.....

I mean, the fact that you started this thread (being a juggler) kind of backs that up.

Not that i have anything against jugglers at all, i met some lovely ones at both conventions - or was that because there were interested in spinning wink ubblol

Im my world, there are no divides only ones you make. (and remember wink)

smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
(pictures Lord Of The Rings style fight with the evil unwashed and dreadlocked orks brandishing burning chains and sticks beaten back by a hail of juggling clubs and balls)

The jugglers are better trained anyway

Bring on the flames weavesmiley spank juggle

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Contact Juggling with the Palantir? biggrin

Non-Https Image Link

Drew in his first attempt...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Jugglers are rubbish.....but only because I never understand what they're talking about with there 444433311165989087777437832 and their fountain mess someting or other...yeah...so there. nana

Seriously though, to be fair we're all pretty much the same.

We all throw/spin/gyrate with small and round or long and thin objects that hit us in the face/nuts/somewhere else painful when it goes wrong.

We all (well most of us) get trollied in feilds/ at conventions etc together and sit around and talk about ourselves doing this.

We all (well a lot of us) also spend a lot of our day talking to like minded people on the internet.

We all (well some of us wink ) love what we do and the people we've met through it.

We all ( well a select highly nerdy few of us tongue myself not included) waste * cough* I mean productively spend hour upon hour of our lives desperately seeking new forms of style/ composition/ and long words to name things in order to baffle those around us and make ourselves sound more intelligent. wink

Love you all really! kiss

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
There are diffrent types of juggler though, you see it at any big convention-

the geeky "numbers" jugglers who all do maths/physics and stand for hours on end in the hall trying to get that elusive 97531 in geeky T-shirts.

the French Artiste type, often in white and fond of contact juggling and diabolo

And the dreadlocked hippy spinners getting mashed outside in the sun.

These stereotypes are obviously not universal- and not meant to offend anyone but I think contain a grain of truth.

I know which I am

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:

These stereotypes are obviously not universal- and not meant to offend anyone but I think contain a grain of truth.

Yes they are, offend away! ubblol Anybody thats offended by that is a wee bit silly anyway. We're all friends in the long run.

I think I would have to fit into the "dreadlocked hippy spinners getting mashed outside in the sun"

Except I'm not dreadlocked...or much of a hippy really, and I don't really tend to do that much spinning at these meets.

I do get mashed in the sun though. biggrin And very very occasionally do something productive! ubblol

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
The factual difference in itself actually doesnt matter.

You just name it differently.
That way, you create two distinct groups.
Invent vocabulary and rites to foster their identities and deepen the divide.
Blame the other group for being arrogant, snide and generally feeling superior to yours.
Reslish in stories how this other group is doing wrong things wrongly.
Cherish the day of peace as the day things will finally get how they suppose to be (from your perspective).
Exaggerate their provocations.
Blame them for having started the conflict.
Promise your warriers everything from 72 virgins to a 7 bt btb hyperloop.
Write your own history. Blame theirs as lies.
Worship your martyrs.

This has been working since time began ... so it might work for us too wink
angel2 weavesmiley juggle angel2

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hold on...

i wear white, i studied physics, i like contact, i lived in france, i juggle siteswaps, get mashed, have dreadlocked hippies as friends and spin poi...

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

IDENTITY CRISIS!!!!!! eek mad eek eek

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Nah cole...you're just personality greedy. wink

hug

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
is that just a nice way of suggesting i'm schizophrenic...? umm

nah, we am only kidding wink tongue hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
umm nice way? I thought it was a fairly blunt way actually. wink ubbloco

hug

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yes, i am all encopmpassing - cower before my swathes of object manipulating multiple personalities

hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
*wonders why we always seem obsessed by those things that make us different than those that make us the same...*

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty happy that Jugglers exist.

Without Jugglers, the Spinners may not have experienced such incredible boost in terms of contact and 3-staff performances, which pretty much happened over the past 3 years. (but without Spinners, the world would be extremely boring... however) I'm happy that there is a fusion between Juggling and Spinning... And certainly when jugglers become a threatened or endangered species I will happily help to build their refuge.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
Some clarification is perhaps nescessary

You know you're a geeky numbers juggler when;

(9, 1, 4, 1, 5) means something to you

You like maths and logic puzzels- hat problems are a favorite

You've worked out that (9, 1, 4, 1, 5) is a four ball pattern

You can quote Monty Python's "The Quest for the holy Grail" backwards

You're actually excited about learning (9,1,4,1,5) now that I've mentioned it

You are often seen in a T-shirt with something written on it that only a handful of people understand and you take pride in being one of them.

You've written out (9, 1, 4, 1, 5) and are getting ready to write a post informing me that it's not a possible pattern

Feel free to add to this list or make another list for another type of juggler

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:

I was surprised when Poi and Staff people began to claim a diffrent title.

well, if you twirl a stick, then you can't really call say "I'm a juggler"
cos then people say "oh, can i watch you juggle then"
then you have to say "well, actually i don't juggle"
then they say "but, you just said you were a juggler"
then you say "well, actually i do wierd stuff with a stick"
then they say "but your story is all over the place and riddled with inconsistencies. Why should I believe a word you say?!?"
and then the conversation descends into MADNESS

Written by: chuternee

*wonders why we always seem obsessed by those things that make us different than those that make us the same...*

Stuff that links many people is more common, and therefore less interesting, than less common attributes that divide people.
People generally wish to express their individuality, which is to point out things that make them different. Is that a bad thing? Don't answer that, it's a rhetorical question tongue

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:

That's rubbish, understanding the numbers doesn't make you a geeky numbers juggler! My numbers ability ends at 5 (through choice) yet I can understand simple siteswap well.

Numbered Siteswap notation is to juggling as written music is to a musician. They don't define their art, they are just a method for recording (and thus passing on) information in a fairly simple way.

Only arrogant jugglers like Anthony Gatto won't learn siteswap, it's not difficult.

[Trolling]

SPINNERS SUCK

[/TROLLING]

Willy - is bad for your health...

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
 Written by: maus

We all throw/spin/gyrate with small and round or long and thin objects that hit us in the face/nuts/somewhere else painful when it goes wrong.

eek eek eek

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lemonkey

That's rubbish, understanding the numbers doesn't make you a geeky numbers juggler! My numbers ability ends at 5 (through choice) yet I can understand simple siteswap well.

Understanding and appreciating siteswap makes you a geeky numbers juggler, not being able to do seven balls. Siteswap is pretty simple to learn but it takes a certain sort of person to want to learn how to analyse juggling mathematicaly.

Not all of us have the time and patience to learn seven balls, but we can still be geeky numbers jugglers, just like you can be a spinner without being able to do the most advanced moves

Sorry Lemonkey- You're in denial but it's alright. We're there for you if you want to come out as a juggler wink
EDITED_BY: the boy g (1158072662)

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Larry

eek eek eek

What? We do.... shrug

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

What? We do.... shrug

maus - its all about the emphasis...

its a stretch but then again i reckon you can find a double entendre for pretty much anything said ever... ubbangel

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

its a stretch but then again i reckon you can find a double entendre for pretty much anything said ever... ubbangel

umm consider my eyebrow official raised mister.

*insert dissaproving look here*

like this...

Non-Https Image Link

nana wink

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I just can't throw/catch while sober, so I've no hope when inebriated.

With poi/staff I just hang on tight and wave my arms around, and when really drunk it hurts less, so I actually try more stuff, and it looks better. Or at least I think it looks better. I could look like a gibbon in a swarm of bees.

Dreadlocks - check.

Hippy - show me the trees!

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
People have tried to teach me to juggle. And have failed miserably so I'm content to remain a spinner. If there is a war between the two factions I will just be sitting there with my finger over the nuke button. biggrin

Cole: If you keep attacking our predeliction for innuendo, Maus and I will be forced to beat you off.

Maus: It DOES pay to moisturise and exfoliate at night...

Polarity: Those trees are MINE!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
its funny but i have absolutley no co-ordination when it comes to trying to juggle. i cant throw in a straight line and i cant catch to save my life.

however poi seems so natural, and well easy. (easy in that i find it easy to pick up once i've got the idea i mean.... in comparison to juggling.)

i have a contact ball, and can do a few tricks as long as i dont have to actually move the ball, i can just move my hands.

so i guess i am firmly in the spinners camp!

having said that, some of my best mates are jugglers and both are interested in poi, they just don't have enough interest in it to learn, the same way i don't have enought patience to learn juggleing.

that make ANY sense?

Page: