Forums > Social Chat > Woohoo! my stepmom is in labor with my baby sister!

Login/Join to Participate

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Hey all, my baby sister is on the way! ive been in the waiting room for about ten hours. the baby us expected anywhere from now, til two hours. Her name will be Mirana Marie Alvarez. Gosh, i cant wait till shes born. She may be my step sister, but im going to treat her like shes a princess! awwwwww shes going to be so cute! i love babies.. ubblove

Geez! A new baby sister! oh, and i used to be the youngest of the family. I accept the fact that ill no longer be the younger of the three, and look out for Miranda.

Ive promised to myself that i will give Miranda all the love i have to offer. All the goodtimes and special moments that life has to share, i wish to show her.

Hey, HoPers... Looks like ive got a new angel in my life ubblol hug hug

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
clap hug clap hug ubblove hug clap

Congratulations! Babies are great.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So my RaveBigBrother, some advice for you from a pediatrician:

Dive right in and help out. Change her diaper. Feed her (if she's not being breast fed). Bathe her. Put in some of the work.

Two reasons:
1) This will prepare you for being a father. It's great when you know how to hold a baby without freaking out that you might break it and chicks dig guys who can change diapers.

2) This will hopefully scare the living daylights out of you and prevent you from becoming a father until you're good and ready. smile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

addict
567 posts

Posted:
omg! yay! shes born! I held her and she held my pinky!! she is so cute, her eyes are dark grey. Doc, you have to wait atleast 8 months for permanent eye color? Its three or eight, i forget. Im pretty sure its eight.

She weighs 8 pounds and 4 ounces ubblove

Thanks, tea fairy. And yeah, they are amazing.

Doc, thank you so much. Your advice really does mean alot. Shes being held in the hospital and my stepmother til the files are all in order and they say shes fully recovered and ready to leave.

There was a little problem with the birth, she needed a sea section (if thats how you spell it..? ubblol) But the baby is fine, so is my stepmother. As i was waiting in the waiting room i was wondering.. What do you believe a baby thinks? I mean, dont we use words to specify our feelings or thoughts? What does the baby think about? Maybe the birth? but how does it describe the birth? I was thinking about this for about five hours..

The baby seems to like me a bit. She doesnt cry when i hold her. She looks at me and opens her mouth smile She is so beautiful, her little fingers are so cute.

Doc, once more, i thank you dearly, it truly means alot. Much love, hug

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: RaveRepresent

There was a little problem with the birth, she needed a sea section (if thats how you spell it..? ubblol) But the baby is fine, so is my stepmother. As i was waiting in the waiting room i was wondering.. What do you believe a baby thinks? I mean, dont we use words to specify our feelings or thoughts? What does the baby think about? Maybe the birth? but how does it describe the birth? I was thinking about this for about five hours..

C-section, for a Cesarian Section, named after Julius Cesar, who was born that way. And MAZEL TOV! (CONGRATULATIONS!).

I personally don't think that babies think so much. Their brains aren't really that developed. All newborns behave essentially in the same way. They're a ball of reflexes. They eat, sleep, poop, and breathe. And it's probably a good thing because a baby's life is pretty darned boring. They can't even really see until they're a few days old at the earliest.

-Mike

addict
567 posts

Posted:
Hmm... Damnit... i hate being unsmart... ubblol

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, RaveR...

As long as we've got your attention, let me start off with my "two week anticipatory advice talks." Since you're a DIT (Dad-in-Training).

Newborn babies do four things. They eat, poop, sleep, and breathe.

Eating: Normal amount is 3-4 ounces every 3-4 hours. If the baby is crying and it's only been an hour or so since the last feed, the baby is probably not hungry, but is dirty, uncomfortable, or sleepy. Babies tell you they're hungry because they start trying to eat their hand.

Pooping: Baby poop is highly variable.
Color: May be anywhere from mustard-seed yellow to dark and a bit green. Tar-black and red are BAD colors indicative of blood. If you see these, go to the doctor.
Texture: May be quite liquidy or may be a paste. If it's like little pebbles or if it's like an adult poop, then the baby is constipated. Add 1-2 oz of free water to the baby's diet once or twice a day.
Frequency: Some babies poop every 3-4 days, some babies poop 9-10 times/day. As long as the baby is comfortable when she poops, no worries.

Sleeping: Babies have no idea when is daytime and when is night time. So you have to teach them.
During the day have lights, noise, activity, move the baby from place to place, and never be afraid to wake a sleeping baby during the day,.
At night, on the other hand, keep the baby in a dark, quiet crib with no noises, no TV, and NO ROCKING. If the baby wakes up, feed the baby, change her diaper if need be, and then *plop* back in the crib. NO ROCKING. She'll cry. A lot. For like 30-40 minutes sometimes. Let her. She'll learn to calm herself. And pretty soon you get to sleep the whole night. If she's crying a lot, try bundling her REALLY TIGHTLY. It's very calming for them, like being in the womb.

Breathing: Babies are obligate nose-breathers. They sometimes breathe noisy. They sometimes sneeze. They sometimes gasp. They sometimes hiccup. They even cough on rare occasion. None of these things are reasons to freak out.

And that's pretty much what you need to know for the first two months. Oh, and hug her a lot, and cuddle her a lot, and love her a lot.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: RaveRepresent

Hmm... Damnit... i hate being unsmart... ubblol

Bullhonkey. I went to medical school and I've done a year and change of pediatrics residency. You're 13. I'm allowed to know more than you about babies and C-sections.

-Mike

addict
567 posts

Posted:
ive copy/pasted this on notepad and printed it. Thanks doc, youve truly been a great help to me. Really, it means alot. Ill be studying each subject and the baby's reaction towards things. Thanks, doc hug

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Congratulations on the new baby sister of yours Rave. Any chance of a photo of the new arrival being hugged by her big brother? hug

Yippeee! bounce clap bounce

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Congratulations and ditto on what Skully said hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
Congratulations!
A photo would be great, so everyone will be 'oooo' and 'aaaa' wink

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
Ah-ha! now you have two princesses to take care of! you're going to be a busy Rave-boy!

Congratulations, and hurry up and get that pic up for us.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Dammit! The entire world is conspiring to get me even more broody than I already am!!!! ubblove

Congratulations Rave..hug It's great to be able to have first had experience with babies at such a young age - just means you'll always be prepared for them (especially if you're not supposed to be conceiving them in the first place!!! spank )

And yes. guys with babies are cute...:

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
Congratulations Rave! Kinda wish I'd had some experience with babies at your age. Me and my sister are the youngest of all our cousins so I have no idea how to cope with small kids. Consequently I'm terrified of them! any advice you learn will be greatfully recieved wink

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
oh wowsers! Congrats to you and your family!

Im so glad to see that you are perpared to help out your mum with the bubba becasue it will be a very busy time at your house for at least the next three months...

and listen to the doc. He knows ...really truley he does. He is the reason that our son slept through at 6 weeks... and there is no better present for a new mum than sleep mate...take it from me..I have a one year old.

YAY! and piccys please! ubblove hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

addict
567 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FoxInDocs

Ah-ha! now you have two princesses to take care of! you're going to be a busy Rave-boy!

no... frown i havent said it... because it hurts to say it... but... carla... my angel... shes moving... it hurts so much, shes leaving to phile.. i live in florida.. This is hitting me so hard... i found out yesterday... i cant sleep, i cant eat, i cant even spin poi anymore... shes really leaving... ubbcrying

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

Oh my honey, that's terrible!

*looks at a map* But it's not so Very far away, you'll be able to visit eachother won't you? and you have the phone and internet. You can't break up that would be too sad! and i'll cry, and you don't want that too happen, do you?

I'll tell you my deep, dark secret, which isn't really that deep, or dark.... or secret for that matter.

when i was 15 to when i was nearly 17 i had an internet relationship with a boy who lived in minnesota for nearly two years (as you can see from the above-stated ages). and i tell you, minnesota's alot further away from south australia, than florida is from pensiylvania. At least you can see the same stars as eachother. You can make it work... i hope.

addict
567 posts

Posted:
I really hope so... ive cried last night, and this night.. im breaking down.. idont know if this can work..

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

PM on it's way.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
as previously mentioned in another thread i'm old and wise apparently.... also have two kids so should you get stuck with anything that you don't want to ask your mum about let me know. although as Doc said all they do at this age is eat, poop and sleep. Although in the UK the midwives etc do things a little different and are told never to wake a sleeping baby. But your mum knows all this anyway so i'll go away and drink some more coffee.

Again congrats you kids rock

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Hey congratulations! Wow, two Hop-babies born on the same day!!! Double fun bounce bounce2

And thanx, Doc, for the info here.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.