TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I've found when I'm spinning, I prefer spinning forward weaves and anticlockwise (from my perspective, not yours smile ) , with high and low reels, and I find it hard to concentrate whilst spinning the other way.

I've noticed a few spinners who also do this, whole routines of the poi mostly spinning in one direction, be it clockwise or vice versa. Anyone else have a preference to which direction they like to spin in?

Is it a right handed thing?
Does it/should it matter?
Do I think too much and should practice more?
ubbrollsmile

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'd go for the practice more option. Sometimes doing things "the hard way" magically transforms into "the easy way"

Having said that, I do have my preferences, especially when performing with fire but I try to remember to practice "moves" in both directions

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
Well, I think everyone on earth prefers to spin forwards weave. But the clockwise/counterclockwise thing is just a personal preference. I try to work everything both directions.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

jinvincibleGOLD Member
king of the hedgehogs
125 posts

Posted:
Your preference for counterclockwise and overhand spinning has less to do with being specifically right handed and more to do with kenetic memory in general, of which being right handed is a contributing factor. Your body gets used to certain motions, and is more comfortable performing those than others. When a spinner is limited to one direction, it can make for some difficult transitions and repetative routines. By broadening your practice to push past your comfort zone and spin "the wrong way", you can add to your kenetic memory and increase your adaptability. When learning a new move, I always drill my weaker direction/hand first - after getting that down, the stronger/more comfortable way follows naturally.

Besides, once you learn to reverse a move, you've effectively doubled your repetoir.

Thinking about it helps to understand the issue, thinking is good - but only practice can change anything about it.

Yellow and blue make green.

jinvincibleGOLD Member
king of the hedgehogs
125 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Muskelunge

Well, I think everyone on earth prefers to spin forwards weave. But the clockwise/counterclockwise thing is just a personal preference. I try to work everything both directions.

I don't want to be disagreeable, but I prefer underhand to overhand wink

Yellow and blue make green.

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
That's odd.

nonenonenoneSILVER Member
129 posts

Posted:
forwards and backwards - either/or, doesnt really bother me, but i definitly find things like windmill easier going anticlockwise (from my point of view! lol)

never really thought about it before, but u made me think i gotta practise the other way too!! lol

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
whae I find myself spinning antoclockwise with most moves, I will spend bout half hour reversing them so I can do both back to front - inside out etc

That way, I feel nearly as comfortable one way as the other wink

Are you up for it?
wink;)

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i spin butterfly wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
I do practice equally, but when it comes to fire I keep it mostly one way as I keep thinking i'll hit myself - and I haven't had been burnt yet so its not all bad lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
ha.

i dont spin.

there is no i.

the poi are spun.

-zvwoosh-

(:P)

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
so shen you say you do not do any long arm, or pirouettes?

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
!

im not saying anything.

there are long arm and pirouettes done, though.

semantics! words are the bane of understanding.

pictoral languages evoke much deeper truths.

visual representation of poi spinning is much easier to comprehend than written language.

we even think in pictures..

interesting. thanx for the stimulation.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Zoolander: I deserve to die if I can't beat Han-suck-a@@ in a walk off.
Matilda: Derek, that's not true. The guy had to miraculously pull his underwear out of his butt just to beat you.
Zoolander: And all he had to do was turn left.
Matilda: What do you mean?
Zoolander: I'm not an ambi-turner. It's a problem I had since I was a baby. I can't turn left.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
I'm a female zoolander - but not as goofy looking haha

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
It took yet another viewing of Zoolander to awaken me to the fact that I too, was not an ambi-turner. That, and the curiosity as to why I'd worn holes in only the left sole of two pairs of shoes.

It took time and dedication, but now I can proudly say that I go both ways.

Still can't pirouette to save my life though. 'cept when spinning horizontal planes.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
I pirouette - i get dizzy and fall over lol

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
 Written by: shen shui

we even think in pictures..

I think in concepts & words, I can't visualise pictures in my head.

But I do agree that words (or lack of) are the bane of understanding.

On topic, I always preferred turning right for transitions, I think it's because my right hand is stronger and therefore more comfortable leading (recently discovered an imperfection in the way I go from weave>windmill turning left, from my first week of doing poi that I had to fix).

Turning left or leading with the left hand (for me) gets confusing, feels unnatural, and I have to practice it more. Even worse is having the left hand follow accents in the music, but that cause my right is more used to keeping time.

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
Oddly enough, I've noticed that even though my right hand is stronger, it feels more natural to lead with my left hand.