fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
anybody out there performing with devil stick???started a week ago and i'm already addicted.have to train 2 hours a day,if it's possible.chat anybody with me about that?

frank bentzin

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
i do.. love it... not as much as poi... devil sticks are cool (at least i think) because the moves just kind of come to you... lighting can be scary though... be really competent before you do that...

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
I used to be excellent with them.I stopped because I brok my pair, but I used to love them.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

TallJugglermember
41 posts

Posted:
I like the devil stick but it is a little difficult. I prefere my flower stix cause I am able to do two at once.

Oh LordForge me in the fire of your mightLet your flames burn higher and brighterMake me pure and holy in your siteAnd cleanse me with thy consuming fire

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Tall juggler, two at once!! impressive!!Devil sticks marked the beginning of my fire carreer. Saw them being done by a pom in Sydney on Mardi Gras night about 8 years ago and had to get started. Found the most amazing set for sale (metal ends with kevlar, paper mache with leather bound around the outside, tapered too, the hand sticks had leather handles with spiral wrapped rubber on them), they were broken by a pissed idiot I was living with while it was resting on some stairs madThe ones you get these day are either just an aluminium tube (get bent easily and slippery when wet) or the pretty good wood tapered jobbies with foil tape wrapped around it. I'm wondering has anyone ever seen or know where to get the 'old' type of devilstick?Anyways Firefly they are a wonderful toy when you get 'em up and running, they started a passion for fire that still burns strong (Iew! cheesy). The more you practice the more you can do. Go hard and enjoy! So few get it into it.

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
good tip twist not to light them before i'm good!!!i did it it the third day,no burns,but it was pretty tough.i had a vision already.i want to build a devilstick,where the whole centerstick is burning!that must be great and hot as well.i'm in love and go practice now!hasta luego!!!

frank bentzin

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I have seen devil sticks, never tried them though. Whats this about flower sticks? Does anyone know of all the different types of 'sticks' invented thus far? They look pretty cool.------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I've got an AJA fire devilstick, the tapered wooden kind wrapped with foil tape. It's a bit heavy and slow moving but nice. Well you will all condemn me as a boring bugger now - but I have never lit it! Even though I'm pretty good at devilsticking at the moment (but still not so great that I can do 2 at once!!) I still don't feel the urge to light it. So tell me - is it true that the soot from the flames makes the stick slippery ? That is something which always put me off. To all you non-devilstickers out there I say you MUST give it a try! It is worth it just to see the expressions on people faces when they see you at work - they really don't understand what the hell is going on!! Be careful or you might be burned as a witch.

TallJugglermember
41 posts

Posted:
go to crystal-stix.com , I use two sets of super flights when doing doubles. They also have a great video with a lot of cool tricks, it will also teach you doubles.

Oh LordForge me in the fire of your mightLet your flames burn higher and brighterMake me pure and holy in your siteAnd cleanse me with thy consuming fire

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Juggleloser smile I wouldn't say that the soot makes it slippery as such but fuel getting on the had sticks or running down on to the foil wrap can.Tall juggler, what tricks have you got down with two flower sticks? I can only just get two diablos going but can't do any tricks yet, are you pulling any 'cool' stuff?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I have been working with sticks for about a year but they arnt realy devil sticks. they have a basket to catch wind and retard spin. this makes them much easier to work with but now I am trying to make some for fire. I have gone thru three designs so far and am working on another, i havn't ever seen any called flower sticks. mine are somewhat akin to crystal sticks. I want to get a pair working for burning man this yer any 6 days till i leave. any sugestions? I have ruled out aluminum as there is not enough give and too much bounce with the weight, fiberglas melted, next I try wood with a heat sink of copper tubing on the ends. any feedback would be apreitiated.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
OOoooohhhh! I love my devil sticks. Actually mine are called Lunastix and are coated in this rubber stuff which has a spiral embedded into it so when you catch it, it just keeps rolling. With the leather "flowers" on the end it looks nice as they flare. I started not that long ago and only have about 4 tricks down but hey, it's a start. I am figuring in about a year I'll be able to light up if I keep practicing. I agree, they are a definite must try for all circus art enthusiasts.And, many thanks to Whipping Boy, who bought me mine smileIn addition to crystal stix, I think https://www.devilsticks.net
is a really nice resource as well.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
I'm not very good at devilsticks myself, but as long as we are talking about websites, my friend Jim has good website on devilsticks. It's https://devilstick.org

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I am ganna ask, can any of you tip the sticks from a spin? Meaning, can you take the "devil stick" and balance it on the end of one of the toss sticks froma spin? I saw someone do it and could hardly believe it. I can get it to balance fairly quickly if I put it there but that is all. Also, do you do body rolls with the stick? I find them fun but unpredictable with the spiralling stick.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Hi all,I started with devil sticks and they are what got me into twirling, I find that they are really good for bringing in the crowds, they are probably my favorite as far as twirling is concerned, love em and still pick em up regularly for a play.anyone else in melbourne-oz do them?cya'shave managed to do that trick where it lands and stays, first time was by accident, but can only repeat it when the stick is thrown up on a horizontal plane.can anybody do behind the back where you pass it from 1 stick to the other?[This message has been edited by JeStEr (edited 18 August 2001).]

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.