envienewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Heya!

Ive just started learning and every time i try to spin my poi behind me (behind my head or my back) i either hit myself in the ankles, back or my head. Or they just tangle up... Ive been trying to do it all day with no luck :P

Any tips on how to keep them spinning?

Thanks!!!!

on va danser?

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
spin slowly
work on planes
i found bth easier the btb
i am no help with btb because i can just butterfly btb

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

zamiriiBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
I'm just learning myself... i have noticed that the wrist position and where my fingers are pointed are keys just like with the butterfly in front.

and i tend to usually clip myself in the head or umm elsewhere when trying

Every Day I add another name to the list of people who piss me off

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
Pay attention to the trajectories of the poi where you can see them. Notice if they're getting out of their planes, or if they're tilting toward your body. Then you can fix them.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Just to learn, try doing a bth butterfly from a forward butterfly and a btb from a reverse, its generally a little easier to learn this way coz u dont have to twist your wrists all funny smile

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

pikachuSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
I have just got my poi in the mail and started to practice. I find I can spin from butterfly and put my right poi over my head but when it comes to my left one it just messes up and hits me or gets tangled.

I guess it's because I'm right handed.

I second the comment to go slowly, when i tried it fast it was worse, but doing it slower helped a lot.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
here how i learnt, though still cant really do it in reverse.

butterfly overhead once then back to front then 2 back and 2 front etc then try butterfly and behind your back at the sides in a circle when you have butterfly behind your back just try keeping one spinning and do one behind your head then get them going behind at split time then follow one with the other. Im still trying to get my timing right to get windmills.

If your having trouble turn to the right (for example) and spin it behind you at the side, this will get you used to where and how its spinning. then just do it over your head

pikachuSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
I practiced last night spining behind my head from butterfly. I can do it with my right, and now with my left, and I can even break out a crooked Mexican Wave. it's amazing how quickly you can pick up a move. you learn where you are going wrong and your body almost makes the adjustments automatically!

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Let me just state some obvious truth which may be helpful for some:

- Moving from front to btb or bth like any 180 degree turn reverses it all, ie the loop, your wrist angles, butterfly upper hand becomes lower hand etc.

- The ideal moment to pull poi back is when the are at their highest point in the loop

- Plane control is everything so you cant practise each hand each direction long enough

What I havent figured yet is how the poi always manage so precisely to hit the eye, the ear or the cohones when it goes wrong ?

Younglegendnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Make sure you have the right length and do some stretches so you can reach back there comfortably.

Alexander_Raynewbie
11 posts

Posted:
I think that the best thing to do is to start learning the movement with one poi on a 2b to have a great axes
then continue with 2 poi... actally it is exactly the same thing as a normal weave...
You`ll see its hard work at the beggining but it becam queekly basic and if you work on it it will be as easy as a frontal 1b...

envienewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone,

thanks very very much for all your help!!! I am now able to do bth stuff and btb is stil a bit wonky, i tend to tangle but have stopped bashing my ankles and/or head hehe

I'm getting there biggrin

Thanks!!

x

on va danser?

HOP Newsletter