radiologicstranger
18 posts

Posted:
Hey, I've been playing with hoops since last july and poi since august and the two work really will together. I'm going to submit a hoop poi video for circles of light, but I'm not quite sure if it'll qualify since the info page said nothing of hoops. Anyways, I do spin a little bit of poi with hoops in this video as an example. This video's a couple of months old and I do a little more with isolations in the middle of spinning so on...

If anyone could tell me who I could bug about this, let me know.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
thats a sweet video biggrin ive not seen hoops spun like that before, totally wikked eek i wanna try, are they just normall hola hoops but smaller?

also wicked song, (international) noise conspiracy ubblove

also definetly that constitutes as circles of light in my eyes.. can you do it with fire? tongue

beerchug thanks for posting

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
oooh. from the opinion of someone who is looping, hooping mad, thats awesome! I've seen people do a little bit of the hoop isoloation stuff, but not a whole style around it. Two thumbs up!
What made you start working with hoops? And little ones? Was there a point of inspiration or did you just get carried away with playing with them?

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

radiologicstranger
18 posts

Posted:
oli - thanks. t(i)nc rock and you're the only person that's acknowledged it thus far. they are a bit tiny for hula hoops - 26'' - and shitty hoops as far as that's concerned. they just look nice because they're covered in juggling tape from seriousjuggling.com. as for fire - I've wanted to try it with fire hoops for a while now, but the chance hasn't presented itself.

Eveish - glad you enjoy. I started playing with hoops shortly after I saw a video clip of jago from full moon performers doing some basic isolations - it was one of those 'I want to do that!' moments - that was the initial inspiration anyway. then I just got really carried away.

as far as the size goes... my girlfriend played with isolating a hoop for a while, but didn't really get into it so I just started out with a smaller hoop (26''). and honestly, they're way easier to move than large hoops.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
eek WOW thats fantastic!!!! hug

*would normaly say more but coffee has not kicked in yet biggrin

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
one word...

Fantabulous! biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
WOW!

thats very very impressive. how much of it are you holding th hoop for an how much is just spinning round your arms?

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Hoopalicious. Makes me think of Durbs somehow.

It says in the COL intro that

"Circles of Light 2006

"Primary objective: To share our love for these arts" "

I say do it.. hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
clap wicked video clap

radiologicstranger
18 posts

Posted:
 Written by: yoni

thats very very impressive. how much of it are you holding th hoop for an how much is just spinning round your arms?

Whenever my hand is on the bottom portion of the hoop I'm letting it roll across the tips of my fingers. When it's on the top half it's rolling across the back of my hand.
EDITED_BY: radiologic (1148892456)

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Hey Dustin! wave Nice to see you posting here. I got my little baby psi-hoops last week and have been having a blast playing around with those -- I'd love to see what you could do with them -- but if you get a clean isolation on 'em you don't get the trails. Makes for a nice contrast though. Incidentally, it was Jago's vid on the Full Moon Performers site that also got me into exploring hoops this way.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your next vid!

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

radiologicstranger
18 posts

Posted:
Awesome. You should definitely post a vid with those once you're ready. I'd really like to see how those look spinning.

In a couple of days my girlfriend is helping me shoot a submission for COL. I'll post it here once it's ready.

Question: are you planning on making your way out to IJA this year? It's in Portland from the 17th through the 23rd of July.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
your hoop manipulation is looking great!

i especially like the isolations along a path.

thanks for sharing hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
that was sweeeet smile

i see no reason what so ever why that shouldnt be in a cicles of light vid smile

clap

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
 Written by: radiologic

Question: are you planning on making your way out to IJA this year? It's in Portland from the 17th through the 23rd of July.

I hadn't planned on it -- I have a meeting at work on the 19th I can't miss, but Portland is so close I maybe could just go up for the weekend....and I have friends in Portland I could stay with...hmmmm....plans are formulating...

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

radiologicstranger
18 posts

Posted:
cool. if you think you can manage to make it, you should send me a message on tribe. IJA should be good fun.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
awesome! I can't see any reason why that wouldn't make it in... Thanks!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
wooooo! much respect for the direction u have taken this art!!
b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always