Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > ***Falmouth 6!!!!!***(not really in Falmouth again!)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Falmouth 6...14th-17th September

Okay, well wiki is up here now for you all to add your details to please!

All you have to do is press "edit this page" add whatever details you want to the various lists.

My number: 07795294151

To be used incase of emergency/queries/lift from station etc.

Cheers! biggrin

www.gwithianfarm.co.uk

Gwithian Surf Report

EDITED_BY: maus (1156335492)

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ubblol No worries hun, I may well have fallen back to sleep again of you hadn't rung!

So sorry about this morning hun, really hope it didn't spoil it too much for you, I'm going to ring the campsite tonight and have a word.

Pics please everybody!!! Well everybody except for Garthy- I don't even want to know how wasted I must look in some of those! ubblol

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Jo! Shame you missed it! Oh well... have some of these hug hug hug

Gayle! Thanks for the electric airbed pump! You should know that people like us would have limited lung capacity... hug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Ola!

Thank you Maus for organising things... We had a wicked weekend! A great last minute decision to come out and play and it all went great.

Sooo many tricks I'm going to have to learn, damn you all!!

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

FractosDirty Fire Project
133 posts

Posted:
Hiya, got only a few pics that I took on my phone and one flame sword video - (for .3gp use Quicktime or Quicktime alternative - www.free-codecs.com)

https://www.torquemaya.net/falmouth6/ls.html

I'll have more when I get this film developed.

~Adz

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Thanks for those pegs Twatdancer.
I pegged around 40 people over the weekend. All mine were small wooden pegs, many ofwhich I know were passed on to other people as well though. (remember most of the people I pegged, and where I pegged them. As well as a few cars that were pegged too)

Adam, cool pics. thanks for the beer when I was nursing my blister wink

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Aye, not a bad weekend at all.

Thanks Maus for sorting stuff out, and thanks Mags for making things happen wink

Although, actually, I am going to have a little moan now - I ummed and ahhhed about this but, meh.

Now first off, I enjoyed this year, it was fun, amazing weather, lovely people (as always) and overall it was a weekend very well spent.

But (and you knew there'd be a but) somethings just weren't right for me. Namely:

Criticisms
As in people watching others spin and making harsh/unneccesary comments on their spinning/juggling.
Regardless of weather the crisicism is true or not, people come to Falmouth to learn and play. Making a critical remark about someone's spinning is both pointless (you're not actually helping them by telling someoneelse their planes are dodgy) and discouraging to others. For example both Linda and her friend were both put off spinning after hearing several people make disparaging remarks about other new spinners. This really sucks and you're giving yourselves a bad name. Now constructive criticism, given to the spinner ("That moves looking really nice, just check your planes") is fine, saying "That person can't spin for sh!t" to someone else isn't. mad

Lack of playing
Now, I'm as guilty as others for this, but why on earth was there so little activity this year?! I've got back, looked at all the old Falmouth videos and everytime there's a shot across the campsite, there's loads of people standing up playing. This year, it was maybe 25% of the people there.
I don't think it's the abundance of weed, nor the people going (they're pretty much constant) - but something's definitely changed. Where were the spontaneous fun games, the madness, the group trips into towns, cliff walks, record attempts? All I saw that happened was a game of Ulitmate Frisbee (which i lost frown wink ) and some sand-castles.
Falmouth used to be GREAT because of all the fun things that happened all weekend, this year it was good because nowhere near as much happened.

Rubbish
Seriously guys, I can't think of any other spin meet where there's been so much crap left around the site. It looked a lot like a bombsite most of the time. This is bad for spinners generally, but also for the lovely people who have to clear up your mess. Yes, I know people like cooking when drunk so chucking stuff away as you go doesn't always happen - so do it the next day, before the wind/seagulls spread it all around the campsite/beach. mad

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

All the lovely boys who took their tops off ubblove

I second that biggrin

... and if anyone asked me why I was staring, I said I was admiring their..... spinning technique ubbangel

Oh and a big thanks to all those people willing to burn me on saturday night... Like Cantus said, nothing like a sacrificial burning to bring people together tongue

grouphug

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Well said Mr Durbs... very good points. I don't knowwhat's changed, but i think it's probably for the best that that was the last one.

Thanks to all who came though.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i agree with what you said durbs. this was my first ever 'big' meet, and although it was fun...it was kind of dissapointing. after all the hype i was expecting a huge turnout and an amazing weekend. Don't get me wrong, i truly enjoyed the weekend and i'm very thankfull to maus and mags for the organising, but for some reason it felt like there should have been more.

feel free to slap me if you think i'm wrong or that as a noob i have no right to say that.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, turnout-wise it was good. Not too big, not too small, pretty much perfect Falmouth size I'd say.

But yes, "dissapointed" and "should have been more" are pretty spot on.

Oh, and sorry for being me and not saying hello to you smile
I suck at making friends redface

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i'll let you off, considering the fact that i don't remember trying to talk to you either. i guess we're as bad as eachother! lol. i spent much of my time stoned and concentrating on getting airwraps right, so i was a little antisocial. i did however make up for that on friday night i think.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well I for one had a fantastic time. Saturday being particularly good! Great surf, some nice spinning, sand sculptures (I think I may have found my true calling!!), the fire line, drunken entertaining folk from a wedding, cream teas, new hyperloop sock poi, poi golf, lovely pizza from Hayle, long chats (about interesting stuff I'm sure - not that I remember much of it wink) with lots of you... I got a chance to chat to people who I'd not really had a chance to before now.

Thankyou to:

Mags and Maus for the organising.

Mags for a new reason to get my ass in gear and get something people can play with going, for making me grin so much that my face ached, for playing "that f'ing song ONE LAST TIME" wink

Bov for introducing me to the wonders of poi golf and making me chuckle on occasions too numerous to count.

Chutney for the road trip, the company, the laughs and general amusement (and of course being my wife wink).

Neon for beautiful pictures of mermaids and for being being shorter than me for at least 20 minutes wink

Nate for being a drunken fool biggrin

Cantus for not being too miffed at me not remembering who you are - you rock dude.

Two bags for your weird and wonderful chest smile

Gayle for my wonderful socks.

Jake for lugging firewood, making me laugh and the most entertaining van ride and quote I've ever had wink

The weather for being beautiful.

Ollie for being the last at the fire and talking crap with me for hours biggrin

Yukomo and K__ for your body heat (sharing tents is definitely the way forward!), company and general fun biggrin

The surf for being scary and awesome at the same time.

Simian for sympathetic coffee addiction and general hilarity.

Flameboy for the loan of your staff (hope I didn't leave too much sand on it? I'm rubbish at the whole throwy-catchy-staff thing!).

Vixen for being your normal entertaining self (and the photo's wink).

...and finally, everyone else I've been too lame to remember. It's not your fault, I just have a rubbish memory smile

hug hug hug

On a slightly less happy front though, I'd have to agree on the litter front - it seemed rather messy to me too. Everyone disappearing after Mags and Jake had lugged all that wood down to the beach combined with the bins being set on fire sucked a lot too. frown

Generally speaking though, that was one of the most entertaining meets I've been too. Shame it zoomed past so quick!
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1158608657)

Cake or Death?

ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
Personally, I had a fantastic time. I can see where people are coming from but I think that partly stems from people expecting to be entertained and just sitting there, instead of getting up and doing something.

Also, for those of us from up north, it was HOT and the heat probably affected people as well.

Meh. I'll be quiet now, since I'm a relative noob and it was my first proper HOP meet. Tell me to shut up and I will. I just really enjoyed myself and the people moaning can all carry on, I'm just not listening.

*stuffs fingers in ears and makes lalalalalala noises*

Edited to say: I do agree with the rubbish issues though, that was something that spoiled it for me slightly.
EDITED_BY: Clairebe (1158608417)

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
I'm having cornwall withdrawal symptoms... *makes mental note to move back near a good beach at some point* Lovely weekend, but i confess to being a lame arse spinner and picked up my poi about... once... but that's because everybody scares me with their exceedingly goodness biggrin

Nice to put some more faces to names, and big big thanks to ilovethefire for lifts there and back aswell as stroozel van woozel and matt, for letting me crash in their tent! and on the very comfy airbed biggrin

And to everybody else for being all lovely and HoPpery and everything!

hmmm... i got sunburn again though... c'est la vie.

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Clairebe

Personally, I had a fantastic time. I can see where people are coming from but I think that partly stems from people expecting to be entertained and just sitting there, instead of getting up and doing something.

Yeah, this is why I ummed and errred about posting my whinge, because ultimately I didn't spin enough, didn't really go out of my way to speak to new people, the ultimate frisbee was vaguley my idea but aside from that, I know I have to include myself amongst those I've said didn't play enough smile

But the thing that I don't understand is why. I usually can't put toys down most weekends, and others are the same - just this year everything seemed just that too much of a hassle. Perhaps we're just so over provided now with excellent spin meets we bring less of ourselves to them as we've spread ourselves too thin.

I would like to say again, I did have a great weekend and I'd do it all again - it just wasn't what it used to be.
As Mags said, maybe it's for the best it was the last one, but this does make me a little sad frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

psycotic_furbyBRONZE Member
Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
Yeah I admit to feeling too intimidated to spin, since it seemed EVERYONE was better than me at EVERYTHING I tried! frown

I had fun, despite the long travel, and to be fair I enjoyed sometimes not feeling obligated to do anything but sit around and talk, watch other people or just eat fairy cakes!

The rubbish was [censored], tho.

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
The first sentance of your post makes me very sad.

No-one, should feel too intimidated to spin. Spin-meets should be (and are, by and large) the best and easiest place to spin - which is why I was so pissed off to hear people criticising "less-good" spinners this year.
We were all rubbish once and the only reason any of us ever progressed is because of the support we got from other spinners.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Ye, plus its an excellent chance to pick those better spinners brains smile

I spent 30 mins talking to some lovely young lady (altho the name escapes me redface ) about contact juggling, and passing on my knowledge (which should have only taken 1 minute, its very limited ubblol ) and IMHO thats how it should be, learning lots and spinning lots. I played a lot of the time I think.

I do semi agree with psycotic_furby, as I felt intimidated to spin at one point, fire in fact, due to a convo I overheard on Friday night. I did feel that my fire spin on saturday night was more to please other people, than to satisfy my own desire as such shrug ...

But ultimately, it was a good weekend, and despite the rubbish left about, the lack of spinning, and the critisms (which I missed out on thankfully smile ) I had an ace time. I managed to giggle my way through most of the weekend, which made it even better biggrin

giftedweaselBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
I had a great time, even though I couldnt spin because i hurt my wrist ; )
Oh, and I discovered today that it WAS broken, 'tis now is a cast... ah well, was great anyway!

GiftedWeasel

psycotic_furbyBRONZE Member
Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
Well I did spin eventually, but it took a while. I'm easily intimidated though! I was glad there were lots of people better than me, because it showed me where I was weak, and what I needed to work on. Unfortunately the only thing I wanted to learn this weekend was isolations, which it seemed EVERYONE can do (and I still can't. Boo!)

I don't recall hearing any criticisms, and I don't think I made any since pretty much everyone was better than me anyway.

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

We were all rubbish once and the only reason any of us ever progressed is because of the support we got from other spinners.

Amen to that! ...and some of us are still rubbish smile I've been spinning for roughly four years and am constantly amazed by how much faster everyone else seems to pick things up. A lot of the reason it took me so long to get things in the beginning was because I had nobody to ask the stupid questions (which is only what they feel like rather than what they are) too.

Teaching people poi or staff or whatever is as beneficial to the teachers as it is to the students. I've definitely become a much better spinner as a result of teaching people because you have to really understand a move to be able to teach it effectively smile

I think if you ask just about any of the spinners to help you with a particular move they'll do their best to help you out. I didn't hear the conversation you mentioned there Durbs although if I had, I think I'd have been slapping wrists!

hug

Cake or Death?

giftedweaselBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
Is someone going to start a thread for the official rules of poi golf?

GiftedWeasel

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I don't think it was just the standard of spinning that newbies are intimidated by, its also the strong social circles that have been built up over the years.

Even though no one intends to appear cliquey, it does appear that way to those who aren't in the thick of it. Aside from asking for tips, how can an outsider possibly break the ice? Spinning is usually what we all have in common but how can one discern how to carry the initial 'how are you?'/'who are you on HOP'/'How can I do this?' into something that can carry into a social conversation?

Established HOPpers can also be seen as the equivalent of celebrities so someone who has never met a particular HOPper can feel a bit star-struck and slightly conscious about trying not to appear too sycophantic.

Not to put down the fine art of heckling but such heckling can be quite intimidating too. I totally understand that it's friendly jibing but again to a newbie, if someone who is excellent can still be the target of heckling, what chance do the confidence of newbies have?

angry too at the amount of litter.

I think the disappointment and lack of activity just came from everyone missing the other HOPpers who couldn't make it. You have to admit the turnout has been decimated by about 50% this one...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

=Flamer=member
192 posts

Posted:
I will admit as this was my first big meet I was slightly intimidated by the strong social circles people had... although I did meet a few new people and loved it.. I held back when it came to some others... I didnt know what to say or do around you guys. None the less I did have an awesome time and met some awesome people.

The litter was stupid as there was bins close to everyone.

Fire Staff £27, Paraffin £10... setting yourself alight, Priceless!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
No need to be intimidated by the older skool HoPpers, after all, most of us have only been involved for a couple of years...
After all, this is not a hobby where people go to "out do" each other... Chutney for example is the best staller/releaser i've seen, Jon just does, Durbs is so unassuming, Garthy is just sex on a stick... the only arrogant git I know is Cantus tongue

As I have said on many occasions, this hobby is about doing sh*t that looks cool... I'll never forget my first HoP engaged Glastonbury, where Jon and Bov were doing some uber technical stuff, but the big crowd was around one girl doing the weave... Just do what feels right, and feels fun. No-one is the "best spinner" they just do stuff that looks, and feels, good.

its about Fire and Fun, as soon as we forget that, then the art is gone, and next thing you'll see it on Blue Peter...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

=Flamer=member
192 posts

Posted:
Time for the thank you's...

Chris (ilovethefire) - Thanks for letting me havin a go of one of your fire swords.. that was awesome and also for sharing the beautifully cooked BBQ food! Mmmmm... Chicken

Nate - Thanks for teaching me a little bit of staff, and for becoming a mermaid in the sand... and also for the freakishly stretchy skin

Dave (Neon_Shaolin) - Thanks for letting me share your tent and the endless entertainment from your film knowledge

Steaky - Dude! You became a ninja at the pegging.

Clairbe - Thanks for playing the folk music so I could dance really fast, and also for the amusing drunken state you got yourself into

And thanks to everyone else for just being there to make it an awesome experience

Fire Staff £27, Paraffin £10... setting yourself alight, Priceless!

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
I had a fantastic weekend - massive thanks to maus, mags and everyone who made it what it was. Massive thanks also to Yakumo for getting us there and back and generally being great, and to Hyperlight and Chutney for letting us share your tent and for much amusement smile hug

Personally I wasn't disappointed with the weekend at all. I didn't spin as much as I thought I would, but that was mainly because I was chatting to people and having fun making things in the sand. I figured I went along to have fun, and if that happened via chatting and sand creations, it's all good.

Plus on Sunday I made my first proper foray into the world of contact juggling, which might not have happened if I'd been really into doing spinning and juggling - thanks to LTC and Ravenhill for going through stuff you must have explained a thousand times before.

I have to admit I was a little reluctant to spin at times, particularly by the bonfire in the evenings, though that was entirely down to my own sense of inadequacy in the presence of so many skilled spinners as opposed to hearing disparaging remarks from anyone. If I had heard those comments though, it would have sealed it, as well as tainting my weekend.

Happily, all the people I met were lovely and I really appreciated how friendly everyone was. It was brilliant to see people I've met before, to put some faces to some usernames and to meet some brand new people as well biggrin

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
well i loved everyone i met and i forgot to mention it in my first post since i been back though, massive thanks to everyone, Jake and mags in particular for making so much of the weekend actually happen.

I understand what everyone means about social circles and well i hope by persistent attendance at events it will become much easier to just chill out with more people. such as the HOP celebs as it were. As for meeting new people this falmouth it was much easier than the last one. i kept myself to myself a lot and after i felt as if i waisted a chance to meet more people so i promised myself that i would make it different this time as in bothering to talk to new people and well i tried and i have made some good new friends i feel.

I am hopefully going to organise a meet of my own next year. I have organised meets before and they have been good successes so this time i will plan on doing something bigger and better, and the plans are to include a big top. It will be in the westcountry as its where i am from so we will still get the country/ seaside feel to it. The thing i want to mainly get sorted for it though are to things that i think will help everyone meet/ integrate would be organised workshops and a few shows. who thinks this is a good idea and who would be interested in coming?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Hell yes Mr.Widd! Organise it and we shall come (in flocks) smile

Cake or Death?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
and socks! D:

Well, armed with socks anyway...

Or come bearing flocks of sheep, wearing socks (us, that is, not the sheep, though that would be interesting)

Sheep poi anyone?

Page: ......